Turning Kick

OP
B

bob919

the TKd turning kick is weak kick geared toward point scoring it is exceoptionally fast but no hip or body is put into it its only power comes from the knee as i said weak but good for point scoring

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No the TKD turning kick is not like that at all....did you even read this thread? In the TKD I learn it's not a soft point kick, you turn you hip and shoulder fully into the kick and try to tear through your opponent. My point was and still is different schools/affiliations and groups use similar terms to describe completely different kicks, so don't presume to tell people what it is when that is just one style/schools/affiliations interpretation.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Damian, I learned the turning/roundhouse kick just like you (in TSD) have, but I have also realized that most people in my TKD school do it just like Sparky described (very wimpy no power kick). It is geared toward getting points, not being affective. I still do the tradititional roundhouse, eventhough my TKD school does it the "wimpy" way. To each his own, I guess.

But I do agree that any technique can be called the same thing in different dojangs but be performed differently. I have seen it LOL.

OP
S

Shinzu

yes a turning / roundhouse kick can be very powerful. i had the bruises to prove it...LOL

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by karatekid1975

Damian, I learned the turning/roundhouse kick just like you (in TSD) have, but I have also realized that most people in my TKD school do it just like Sparky described (very wimpy no power kick). It is geared toward getting points, not being affective.
The kick can be wimpy. Doesn't mean that it is by definition though.

OP
D

DWright

I may be out of my league here, because I'm not a full time student of tkd, but the school I am goining to is wtf, and that kick...

"The turning kick that I am talking about starts out as a front kick - that is, the knee comes straight up towards the face, heel directly below the knee
As the kick progresses you rotate your hips piviot your body and finish as a round house kick with the leg horizontal and the foot coming in from the side."

sounds like a sparring fake. Drawing the opponent into moving/defending against the front snap, and nailing him with the roundhouse. As previously mentioned its great for point sparring.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my federation if you are doing turning kick (or whatever your group calls it) any other way other than fully turning into it with the shoulder and hip for maximum power than it is called bad or sloppy technique.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
You then had the option of doing the front kick, a roundhouse, or even a side kick!

You got to have enought commitment in the initial front kick to make it look real though.
Great for sparring.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I got a trick for you..... one of my moves is to pause and stare intently at my opponents crotch.... then I start to throw a front snap to his ding dong only to whip it up at the last second to a roundhouse to the face. People almost always jump back withdrawing their crotch but exposing their chin. Remember! Staring at the crotch is key!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
K

kenposcum

Originally posted by Damian Mavis

[ stare intently at my opponents crotch.... ! Staring at the crotch is key!

Always. Mwa ha ha.

Yeah, the kick finally described (what I would call a wheel kick) can be wimptastic if there isn't enough body thrown behind it. Then, yes, it's a flippy-dippy leg kick.
But if effort is made to follow through with the body (PIVOTING into the kick) then it can hurt/damage, especially if it's accurate.

:asian:

OP
B

bob919

the turning kick is the one where the leg chambers like a frontkick thenflicking the foot out on the horizontal plane right? if so then it is weak cause it is made to be fast/deceptive for point scoring

if you mean when someone lifts their leg at theside and swings their leg on the horozontal axisto the target this is a roundhouse kick (at least thats what i call it,lets not get into a name debate) well this one s powerfulbut also slower so less effective for point scoring but soo much better for full contact; aim one to the outside of the thigh 2-4 inches above the knee you will know what i mean

Latest Discussions