Turning Kick

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
To call it a turning kick, probably. Quite a few have a roundhouse/round kick though.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mauy Thai has the hardest Round Kicks.

Most system's ive seen in stand up fighting Use
This kick.

But Thai's are the best at it.
:wavey:

OP
A

Angus

Depending on the art, the turn kick can mean two things. Tae Kwon Do's turn kick is essentially a spinning roundhouse (where the roundhouse is thrown AFTER the spin), only the spin has a step. It's more than a simple roundhouse.

From my experience, what other arts call a turn kick is TKD's back round kick, which is basically a spinning hook kick without the hooking of the lower leg (though it is thrown slightly differently, it's at least similiar).

TKD and arts based off of TKD are the only one's I've seen with that kind of turn kick.

OP
F

fissure

Is TKD the only Martial Art to use the turning kick?
It's impossible to know what tech. you are talking about. There are half a dozen movements that could come under this name depending on the MA/style/school.However, in general most striking arts use variations of the same tech. to one degree or another.

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

ok turning kick is and extremely vague description... by turning do you mean a simple 180 degree pivot or a full 360 degree spin... second... kick.... do you mean a back thrust, a side, a hook, or a crescent... or even a roundhouse kick as stated in the previous posts??????

OP
S

Shinzu

TSD uses a variety of kicks from roundhouse to back spinning kicks. which are you referring to?

OP
A

Angus

The turn kick I've seen in all the TKD schools is a 360 degree spin + roundhouse.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whoa, 360? In ITF TKD that would be called a 360 turning kick.

Ya guys, we got to remember that not only do different arts have different names for like EVERY single kick but so do individual schools within arts.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
A

Angus

There isn't a single ITF school around here that I've seen. I don't even bother with the ATA, so I'm mostly talking about the WTF.

It's usually executed after a roundhouse or something, so I suppose you could break it down into 2 180 degree steps. Back leg steps in front, rear leg comes up and around and the leg that originally stepped kicks. Ie, if you began in left lead, and just did the turn kick, the right leg would kick. If you began in left lead and did a rear leg roundhouse and landed in front for the first step of the turn kick, then again the right leg would kick. Hard to describe, easier to demonstrate. It's not 360 in one motion like a jumping kick, it's two steps of 180 degrees. Sorry for the confusion!

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ya I know exactly what you mean, we just call a technique by how much of a spin is involved before the kick makes contact whether it's jumping or stepping. So if you are stepping 360 degrees before the kick hits then we call it a 360 round kick or turning kick or what ever kick.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
S

sparky

Sorry for being so vague

The TKD turning kick is a modified round house kick - no spinning involved. Very effective kick - as it changes direction while in motion.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A turning kick to me is a roundhouse kick. I came from TSD, which called it a roundhouse (round kick for short). I do WTF TKD now, and they call it a turning kick, but it's the same thing as a roundhouse (in my school anyways).

OP
A

Angus

Originally posted by sparky

Sorry for being so vague

The TKD turning kick is a modified round house kick - no spinning involved. Very effective kick - as it changes direction while in motion.

...:confused:

OP
F

fissure

The TKD turning kick is a modified round house kick
Modified? How so?
Very effective kick - as it changes direction while in motion.
Changes direction in what way?
A TKD round kick is the same as a Karate round kick, maybe the hips get extended more - but still the same kick. Are you talking about a kick often refereed to as an "anvil"? This is round house like, with a directional change. You need to get very specific when trying to get visuals across in text.

OP
T

TkdWarrior

TKD turning kick is same as round house kick from back leg.
it's almost basic kick in every art... MT guys try to generate power from the distance they cover... In TKD it is tried to the use the distance + the hip rotation of kick to maximise it's power... Hip rotation also gives u good ranges and i hav seen this kind of kick in TSD too...
-TkdWarrior-

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For the love of god guys, stop that! "Turning kick is....Turning kick is... Turning kick is..." NO it's not haha. Try to remember that every art and every school within that art may call a completely different kick by the same name. Stop talking about the kick like you guys are speaking for every group within that art , as an example TKD. When I was learning TKD, turning kick was the name we used for a kick that was a roundkick (back leg comes up knee bent, release kick coming from the side towards the ribs and hit with the top of the foot) that used the ball of the foot as the striking weapon instead of the top of the foot. Now that I'm teaching in ITF style, turning kick is the name they use for roundkick. Do I even dare to assume that ALL ITF TKD schools call roundkick turning kick or anything like that? No. Not trying to give you guys a hard time or anything but it seems like some of you are talking in absolutes and you should be aware that your realm of knowledge isnt the be all and end all of terminology.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
S

sparky

Like I said before sorry for being so vague but I didn't want to miss lead anybody with my description.
The turning kick that I am talking about starts out as a front kick - that is, the knee comes straight up towards the face, heel directly below the knee
As the kick progresses you rotate your hips piviot your body and finish as a round house kick with the leg horizontal and the foot coming in from the side.

Latest Discussions