Turning Heads?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In the March 2006, issue of Black Belt magazine has an article on "Turning Heads". The advantages of head manipulations.

1. few techniques to learn 2. don;t require size or strenght to accomplish 3.control without strikes 4.learn it and ready to use in matter of days 5. same skills for arm and unarm w/mininal changes. 6. good for everyone to learn.

The prefer grab is the chin and back of the head. They list several things you can do with the attacker head?

HEADING in the right directions? .........Aloha

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, In the March 2006, issue of Black Belt magazine has an article on "Turning Heads". The advantages of head manipulations.

1. few techniques to learn 2. don;t require size or strenght to accomplish 3.control without strikes 4.learn it and ready to use in matter of days 5. same skills for arm and unarm w/mininal changes. 6. good for everyone to learn.

The prefer grab is the chin and back of the head. They list several things you can do with the attacker head?

Yes. I believe several martial arts do advocate this type of manipulation. For me, I know Kenpo does with several of their techniques. So does Danzan Ryu JuJitsu. The key is knowing how to do it properly to maximize the ability of controlling/guiding the opponent to where you want him/her to go.

- Ceicei

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've suspected there must be some sort of head control in use if people keep buying Black Belt....

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Just want to add something here. The article also talks about how you can control person on the GROUND defense by grabbing chin and twisting the head.

So this technique can be for stand-up and ground fighting....practice and find what works for you?

Twisting the head can be very dangerous, because of the neck...practice slowly!

Twisting a person head will end things fast for the other person...watch-out for neck breaks.....instead of turning his head...turn around and run....Aloha

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Head & joint manipulations are very good at taking your opponent off balance. This will help buy you time to set up your next move or escape.

- Ceicei

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:

This is a great technique but be careful, it is surprisingly easy to break someones neck with the proper technique. You dont want to end up in prison. Even if you are defending youself you will most likely end up with an involutary manslaughter conviction.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We deal with head and neck manipulations in NGA on a fairly regular basis. Not only can the head be manipulated in a horizontal plane but works wonders when your attackers momentum is used against them in the vertical plane...think chin up, back and down like a waterfall.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen a lot of head manipulations in Aikido as well as in my minimal exposure to Pencak Silat.

On the ground, it's very common to do something like placing your forearm on your opponent's face and pushing their head to the side to create space.

Hmm. That issue is right down the hall. Lemme take a look at the article. I usually flip through Black Belt once every issue, laugh a bit, and put the magazine back.

EDIT - Sorry, we've thrown that issue out. I only have April and May in the warehouse.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree, it is an interesting article, but certainly nothing new.

To the articles credit though, head manipulations are a good thing to know, however, as DeLamar.J pointed out, caution needs to be exercised.

Mike

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I agree this is nothing new....most of the new martial arts...seems to claim new ways of self-defense.

But when you look at them....NOTHING NEW. Even the things Bruce Lee talk about.....nothing new...he just saw it differently.

The more you study different arts...the more you realize they are the same? Just done slightly differently with different thoughts and princples.

But sometimes it is good to bring out things from the past and look at it more, Many of the younger martial artists may not have experience the many old stuffs (the nothing new, but good reminders). .....Aloha

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, I agree this is nothing new....most of the new martial arts...seems to claim new ways of self-defense.

But when you look at them....NOTHING NEW. Even the things Bruce Lee talk about.....nothing new...he just saw it differently.

The more you study different arts...the more you realize they are the same? Just done slightly differently with different thoughts and princples.

But sometimes it is good to bring out things from the past and look at it more, Many of the younger martial artists may not have experience the many old stuffs (the nothing new, but good reminders). .....Aloha

Good point. Just to clarify what I meant by saying 'nothing new.' Many times we look at an article in a magazine, and the author is trying to pass off something old, as some newfound creation that nobody has ever heard of before. I did not get that impression from this article.

I agree though, there is nothing wrong with reviving an oldie but goodie!:)

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Just want to add something here. The article also talks about how you can control person on the GROUND defense by grabbing chin and twisting the head.
You mean if the attacker is on top of you? If so I'd doubt the practicality and/or reliability of the move.

I don't read that publication so I am not 100% sure what types of techniques they were promoting, but if they are talking about neck-breaks etc, then nice theoretical stuff that next to no-one ever has need, opportunity or clarity of thought to put into practice, thus remaining theoretical.

....I'm theoretically deadly, did I ever tell you that?

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
in kosho, they call it 'capturing the king', a high-falutin' way of saying 'when in doubt, grab his face'. it's amazing how quickly the body will follow the head.

any old high school wrestlers out there remember how well a cross-face worked when you got the chin just right?

(always wanted to use 'high-falutin'' in a sentence)

Latest Discussions