Turks protest Islamic Rule

OP
Shuto

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great information folks. I'm smarter today than I was yesterday.

link

This BBC link raised the number of protesters to over 300,000. That's a lot of protesters! It also contains this interesting comment.

The prime minister and his party have their roots in political Islam. If he is elected president, his wife would be Turkey's first-ever First Lady to wear the Islamic headscarf.
That is a deeply divisive symbol here. Last week, Turkey's most senior general warned that the next president must be wholeheartedly loyal to the secular system - a thinly veiled warning to Mr Erdogan.

Can you say coup?

Also, the pictures of the protests I've seen contain signs that are written in what appears to me to be the native language, not English like so many made for TV foreign protests. That's a indicator of sincere protest IMO.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the great information folks. I'm smarter today than I was yesterday.

link

This BBC link raised the number of protesters to over 300,000. That's a lot of protesters! It also contains this interesting comment.

The prime minister and his party have their roots in political Islam. If he is elected president, his wife would be Turkey's first-ever First Lady to wear the Islamic headscarf.
That is a deeply divisive symbol here. Last week, Turkey's most senior general warned that the next president must be wholeheartedly loyal to the secular system - a thinly veiled warning to Mr Erdogan.

Can you say coup?

Also, the pictures of the protests I've seen contain signs that are written in what appears to me to be the native language, not English like so many made for TV foreign protests. That's a indicator of sincere protest IMO.

He has got to listen to what is coming from the general staff otherwise Turkey could be in for a disaster. Unfortunately zealots are stunningly pig-headed.

Latest Discussions