TUF 10 Finale interview: Nelson joins 'We hate Roy Nelson club' on Facebook

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
12-04-2009 03:05 PM:

Roy Nelson doesn't pull any punches in or out of the cage. It's exactly why he and his wife/manager Jessy thought it would be a great idea to be part of the cast for season ten of "The Ultimate Fighter." That's a crazy notion from a guy who already had 17 professional MMA fights and was a champ in the smaller International Fight League. The Nelson viewed the show as a way to get into the UFC and get his name out good or bad. "Big Country" with his giant belly doesn't look the part of the heavyweight beast but his technique and experience allowed him to roll past Kimbo Slice, Justin Wren and James McSweeney in The Finale against Brendan Schaub. But his fighting style, look and cockiness after wins on the show brought a lot of hate mail his way:

"I love the ones that hate me because I'll be the first one to write them back and say 'hey why don't you come and train?' Cause I know they're just computer typers," Nelson told Cagewriter.

Nelson does seem to enjoy the heat coming from fans. He's a naturally argumentative guy:

"Usually we get into a debate. Then after that, they're opinion of me completely changes and then they're a fan."

Nelson said he even joined Facebook's "We hate Roy Nelson" page. The 400-plus members "Don't like white trash fattys with huge guts and ***** punches."

Nelson's sarcasm doesn't go over well with some people including UFC president Dana White. The fighter does think that he won over White with his final victory over McSweeney. Nelson goes for the TUF 10 title against Schaub tomorrow night in Las Vegas on Spike.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions