TUF 10 Finale interview: Alexander suggests Kimbo is nothing special

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
12-04-2009 05:15 PM:Kimbo Slice built his reputation on the web with his infamous YouTube street fight videos. As he faced huge dudes in the streets of Miami, Kimbo had the vicious look with the shredded body and the beard. Guys looked like they soiled themselves even before throwing a punch. Does Kimbo still have that aura of intimidation?

Houston Alexander grew up on the streets and fought a lot too. He's got that same jacked body with huge knockout power. So for Alexander, Kimbo (3-1, 0-0 UFC) is just another big dude keeping him from more UFC paydays:

"People are probably scared of his look and his image, and the way that he's been portrayed in the media. I'm from the streets," Alexander told Cagewriter. "I've been doing this for 10 years and looks don't intimidate me. It's nothing I'm worried about."

Alexander's strategy is to move and keep Kimbo searching for him. During TUF 10 workout day, Alexander worked on punching in bunches, using his right arm to move Kimbo out of the way and also push off inside to create space.

This is the second go around for Alexander and probably the final one for the 37-year-old if he suffers a bad loss. He exploded onto the UFC scene back in 2007 with devastating wins over Keith Jardine and Alessio Sakara but then found out you need to defend yourself on the feet and especially on the ground. Alexander (9-4, 2-3 UFC) was finished in three straight fights by James Irvin (KO via punches), Thiago Silva (TKO via ground and pound) and Eric Schafer (via submission). He took the better part of the next year off to become, as he said, an MMA fighter.

Kimbo and Alexander battle tomorrow night as part of The TUF 10 Finale on Spike.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions