TSD Striking Basics at the Green Belt Level

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm working on a project for my students. Basically, I'm working on an instructional DvD. It is not meant for sale, so I'm not looking to film uber-quality footage. However, I would like to show the techniques and some of the mechanics involved.

So, let me know what you think of this stuff...

upnorthkyosa

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mahkee - blocking/parrying

Attachments

• $TSD Blocking Hyung.AVI
    681.3 KB · Views: 94
  • $Block 1.AVI
    298.3 KB · Views: 97
  • $Block 2.AVI
    251.6 KB · Views: 98
  • $Block 3.AVI
    216.1 KB · Views: 91
  • $Block 4.AVI
    242.2 KB · Views: 92
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Soo Gi - Hand Techniques

Attachments

• $Cap Kwan Kun Kyuk.AVI
    648 KB · Views: 100
  • $Chang Kwan Kun Kyuk.AVI
    671.6 KB · Views: 93
  • $Kwon Do Kun Kyuk.AVI
    799.2 KB · Views: 99
  • $Soo Do Kun Kyuk.AVI
    791.9 KB · Views: 109

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
UpNorth,

As usual, these all look very good. My only suggestions would be that you break the punches down a little further, possibly one by one or individually.
Also, on blocks 1-4, it may be beneficial to add another angle and slow things down a bit. Just seeing it once from one angle is very difficult to get the exact movement down.

~Craig

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
UpNorth,

As usual, these all look very good. My only suggestions would be that you break the punches down a little further, possibly one by one or individually.
Also, on blocks 1-4, it may be beneficial to add another angle and slow things down a bit. Just seeing it once from one angle is very difficult to get the exact movement down.

~Craig

Thanks for your comments. I've thought about breaking the punches down, however, that drill does a great job teaching the mechanics for each punch.

Anyway, my intent is not to create an instructional video. I want to make something more akin to a video notebook of technique. It would be something that the student could use to remind themselves of certain technique.

I'm not a beleiver in video learning, however, I do think that it can be used as a supplement.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As an aside, this now represents how we do basics in our class. There are no line drills. Everything is done with a partner, with resistance.

One thing I noticed since I started teaching this way is that there has been an immediate improvement in my students sparring. They block better. They strike better. This flow better.

These basics are coming right out of the hyung.