TSD and TKD

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My dear sir, TaeKwonDo was a name change done to Tang Soo Do schools (amongst others). To say Tang Soo Do is not TaeKwonDo is akin to denying that Lexus is Toyota... It's just that not all Tang Soo Do schools agreed to it. That is the simple way of putting it.

I know that. I'm glad you do too. Without being insulting, you seem to be young, and I don't have the energy to discuss the nuances implicit in this conversation that would be informative for the readers out there, so I will bow out.

Peace.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know that. I'm glad you do too. Without being insulting, you seem to be young, and I don't have the energy to discuss the nuances implicit in this conversation that would be informative for the readers out there, so I will bow out.

Peace.

Coming from the guy posting a thread entitled Is TSD Korean?

You do that and I'll keep enjoying "share similar histories". Good one!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. This IS TaeKwonDo.

That may be. You're asserting that all TSD is like that. I know at least one school that wasn't as far back as 25 years ago. Much closer to Shotokan Karate in look and feel, though more direct than the Shotokan I've seen (angles of footwork were more acute).

But go ahead and assume you've seen it all.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. This IS TaeKwonDo.

What is in the video is Extremely more traditional TKD than the Kukkiwon/WT TKD you have made many references to. It doesn't look that at all. Any variant of TKD and TSD are different animals.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That may be. You're asserting that all TSD is like that. I know at least one school that wasn't as far back as 25 years ago. Much closer to Shotokan Karate in look and feel, though more direct than the Shotokan I've seen (angles of footwork were more acute).

Agree. There are three TSD schools in an adjoining county. It is quite prevalent in east TN and Arkansas.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What is in the video is Extremely more traditional TKD than the Kukkiwon/WT TKD you have made many references to. It doesn't look that at all. Any variant of TKD and TSD are different animals.

I made reference to ITF, not Kukki. I specifically said Kukki complicated the matter due to their Olympic sport

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

There's different emphasis between schools.The fundamentals are still the same, in particular hip leverage.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe in a gross sense of the term fundamentals. But the specifics are quite different.

I don't know what you are talking about. Everything they did there is.covered in Kukki TKD as well

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know what you are talking about. Everything they did there is.covered in Kukki TKD as well
'Gross sense' just means overall.
For example, all derivatives of TKD I have had experience with do a side kick. However, each system teaches and does them differently. This is even true from school to school sometimes.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For example, all derivatives of TKD I have had experience with do a side kick. However, each system teaches and does them differently. This is even true from school to school sometimes.

I was referring to the clip.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[]

Show me a Taekwondo system that promotes stiff Shotokan style roundhouse kicks.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
[]

Show me a Taekwondo system that promotes stiff Shotokan style roundhouse kicks.
In comparison to others, I would have to say ATA and ITF. The latter is quite similar to Shotokan. I have no idea where you get the "stiff kicks" in Shotokan. You need to go back to your Youtube training and research some Shotokan tournaments.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In comparison to others, I would have to say ATA and ITF. The latter is quite similar to Shotokan. I have no idea where you get the "stiff kicks" in Shotokan. You need to go back to your Youtube training and research some Shotokan tournaments.

You clearly know nothing about ITF.

Nobody who is proficent kicks like this with his hips ans torso. And that’s a late chief instructor of JKA
_20200904_151648.JPG
chief instructor of Shotokan View attachment 23112

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You clearly know nothing about ITF.

Nobody who is proficent kicks like this with his hips ans torso. And that’s a late chief instructor of JKAView attachment 23113 chief instructor of Shotokan View attachment 23112
I don't hear your point. That is Very common kick geometry in virtually all styles for some people. Besides, even if that is the 'chief instructor' it is a picture (possibly a pose) of only one person. No sampling there at all.

Latest Discussions