TSD and TKD

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
_20200904_152729.JPG

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Notice a difference? I'm a Red belt. And that’s a master above me, In Shotokan.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sure there are differences in the two snapshots. They are shot from different angles and possibly different points in the kick. I am not even certain they are the same type of kick. Assuming they are, you make my point the different styles do the same kick differently.

I did not compare myself to other Taekwondo styles

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sure there are differences in the two snapshots. They are shot from different angles and possibly different points in the kick. I am not even certain they are the same type of kick. Assuming they are, you make my point the different styles do the same kick differently.

My bad. The first one had so poor hip mechanics that it looked like a mawashi geri. It was meant as side snap kick. The poster had a wrong label

Here's how he did a mawashi geri

_20200904_155216.JPG

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My bad. The first one had so poor hip mechanics that it looked like a mawashi geri. It was meant as side snap kick. The poster had a wrong label

View attachment 23117
Okay, so he is throwing a roundhouse kick. Like I said different styles, even and systems within styles, throw the same named kick differently.
Again, I do not hear your point.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Okay, so he is throwing a roundhouse kick. Like I said different styles, even and systems within styles, throw the same named kick differently.
Again, I do not hear your point.

Taekwondo does not throw it like that, including Tang Soo Do, when it comes to hips. It's very obvious.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score

View attachment 23117
I see this kick in taekwondo training from time to time. I've never been shown it as its own distinct technique. It's just a variation of a shorter range roundhouse.

Very strong hip position that requires less hip flexibility than what I would call the typical, but you seem to think it's the only, tkd long range roundhouse kick.

If you execute the mawashi geri like in the photo you shared in a skilled tkd environment, many times you get kicked in the torso twice before you put your foot down.
In the TKD setting where your opponent usually wants to create distance and unload strong kicks as quickly as possible, body position like mawashi geri may leave you vulnerable.

But in karate setting, where your opponent will likely stay close to you and try to punch and grab you, mawashi geri finds the faces of many martial artists all the time (especially) if you can grab them while kicking.

Good types of roundhouse for various situation.

I've trained with skilled ITF, ITA, ATA, WT(F), and Tang Soo Do fighters and have seen them throw mawashi geri when the angle was right for it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I see this kick in taekwondo training from time to time. I've never been shown it as its own distinct technique. It's just a variation of a shorter range roundhouse.

Very strong hip position that requires less hip flexibility than what I would call the typical, but you seem to think it's the only, tkd long range roundhouse kick.

If you execute the mawashi geri like in the photo you shared in a skilled tkd environment, many times you get kicked in the torso twice before you put your foot down.
In the TKD setting where your opponent usually wants to create distance and unload strong kicks as quickly as possible, body position like mawashi geri may leave you vulnerable.

But in karate setting, where your opponent will likely stay close to you and try to punch and grab you, mawashi geri finds the faces of many martial artists all the time (especially) if you can grab them while kicking.

Good types of roundhouse for various situation.

I've trained with skilled ITF, ITA, ATA, WT(F), and Tang Soo Do fighters and have seen them throw mawashi geri when the angle was right for it.
Ju

I'm comparing basics now, which is different from sparring. There’s no setting where his Mawashi geri is appropriate. He has has no control over it.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm comparing basics now, which is different from sparring. There’s no setting where his Mawashi geri is appropriate. He has has no control over it.
How did you come to this conclusion?
Just based on the snapshot, I can't judge too much, but it looks like mawashi geri to me.

The same mawashi geri I have seen many kickers execute. I can do the kick with that body position, with control decently well.
It's not my best tool, but it's fine.

How long have you been training?
I suggest playing with it. You don't have to fall in love with the technique. But try some of your techniques in another's style; learning directly from friends is best.

Happy training

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How did you come to this conclusion?
Just based on the snapshot, I can't judge too much, but it looks like mawashi geri to me.

The same mawashi geri I have seen many kickers execute. I can do the kick with that body position, with control decently well.
It's not my best tool, but it's fine.

How long have you been training?
I suggest playing with it. You don't have to fall in love with the technique. But try some of your techniques in another's style; learning directly from friends is best.

Happy training

His posture and arms give it away, and he won't be able to follow up with an additional kick, and his recovery post kick will be compromised

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
His posture and arms give it away, and he won't be able to follow up with an additional kick, and his recovery post kick will be compromised
This is relevant to sparring and fighting.
Your points are pretty on point, but only relative to long distance kick fighting.

Again, think more close range. You'll not really plan for or expect to follow up with another kick. That kind of space will not be freely given to you.

Roundhouse kicking people in the head when your hips are so close to their hips results in postures and hip action like this.
You don't have the space to rotate hips without moving back or jumping back.
Lots of TKD practioners tend to do the latter quite well. Or throw some variations of crescent kick from this close of range.

But in styles like Kyokushin, you will see a lot of mawashi geri from this same distance instead.

Latest Discussions