truly incredible martial arts clip

capoeirascience

White Belt
Reaction score
have a look at this capoeira site full of top-level capoeiristas only. look at the grace, control, style and speed of these guys. barefoot, concrete, fearless!
www.capoeirascience.com

the site is not linked to any one group or organisation nor is it about me. i simply search out the best capoeiristas i can and film them to show the world this incredible art. (i also train daily in the hope of one day being like them) tell me what you think!
peace, cientista

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Very impressive, I have never done any capoeira but I have always liked watching it if I were 20 years younger I might give it a try, but I am not 20 years younger.

OP
C

capoeirascience

White Belt
Reaction score
i train at www.cdol.co.uk ! there is a highly respected great master of capoeira.. i think he started capoeira around 35 (will get his name for you) and will put more up of old boys sometime soon! i was filming with a master of 41 yrs yesterday, he was doing backflips on concrete between stone pillars and water fountains.. Mestre Espirro Mirim - watch out for that clip!!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
right-on. I am not familiar with your teacher, but I certainly know the name of Suassuna. A few of his students teach here in San Francisco as well, Marcelo, Urubu, and Low. I think Wagner in San Jose, California may also have been his student, but I am not sure of that.

I trained under Mestranda Marcia Cigarra in San Francisco ABADA group. She is a senior level student of Mestre Camisa in Rio de Janeiro. I was with her for about 5 years or so, after a 3-year period of sporatic training prior to meeting her. I have drifted away from Capoeira and into the Chinese arts for about the last 7-8 years, but my wife and I keep intending to make a comeback and get involved in capoeira again. We are actually hoping to go to class tonight, and try to make a commitment to train regularly again.

Welcome aboard! There has been very little capoeira discussion, or martial viewpoints offered from the Capoeira perspective here on the forums. I think a couple other guys here have some experience, but for the most part it's just been me, so it's good to get some more people with experience.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont know why they call it MARTIAL arts, its more like performing/entertaining arts. There is a reason you never see people fighting like that, think hard.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
I dont know why they call it MARTIAL arts, its more like performing/entertaining arts. There is a reason you never see people fighting like that, think hard.

Capoeira has a different approach and different mentality as a martial art, as well as a different historical context that has caused it to develop into what it is today. If you had an understanding of this background, then you would not make comments like this.

You are correct, nobody, including capoeiristas, would fight with all the acrobatics that you see in the Roda (game) of capoeira. But I could certainly introduce you to many many capoeiristas who you would never want to tangle with. Don't think for a moment that it is not a fighting art.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:

Martial arts training is not just about pounding some guys head into the ground. There is the culture, tradition, learning, discipline and more.

Take some time to learn about Capoeira's history, it is a magnificant art.

Keep in mind a rose is considered a beautiful and delicate object, but the flower only hides thorns that can draw blood.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
Generally speaking, I agree with you. But (you know there is always a but to follow with an opening like that), I saw an incredible capoerista in the Elite Fighting Challenge in Vancouver this spring who used capoeira in his fight very effectively. I think it worked because of the element of suprise, but it worked and as a bonus was very entertaining to watch.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
Martial arts training is not just about pounding some guys head into the ground. There is the culture, tradition, learning, discipline and more.

Take some time to learn about Capoeira's history, it is a magnificant art.

Keep in mind a rose is considered a beautiful and delicate object, but the flower only hides thorns that can draw blood.
Martial=combat, arts=you know. But when a style becomes 10% martial and 90% art, is it accurate to call it martial arts. Or, is the martial just thrown in there for ego purposes so the students think they can fight.
Im sure Capoera in its pure form is a real martial art, but its rare. I just dont like how martial is thrown in all the time when thre is very little martial. Its like those floor demos where everyone is doing there flippy doe martial arts. That is not MARTIAL arts, its performing arts. They just choose to throw in martial so they can get the respect of a fighter when it most likely is not deserved.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
Martial=combat, arts=you know. But when a style becomes 10% martial and 90% art, is it accurate to call it martial arts. Or, is the martial just thrown in there for ego purposes so the students think they can fight.
Im sure Capoera in its pure form is a real martial art, but its rare. I just dont like how martial is thrown in all the time when thre is very little martial. Its like those floor demos where everyone is doing there flippy doe martial arts. That is not MARTIAL arts, its performing arts. They just choose to throw in martial so they can get the respect of a fighter when it most likely is not deserved.

Again, this is an art that you know little or nothing about. You should try to learn something about it before you make this kind of comment. In principle, much of what you say here is correct, but with regards to capoeira, you are wrong.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The athleticism is incredible... the fact that they are barefoot and performing on cement just brings it up a level. It was quite lovely to watch, and in many ways looked like break-dancing at first glance - but one of the clips showed 2 people, which made it obvious that, if any of those techniques had connected (rather than the distancing shown) the other person would have been a hurting unit.

I can also see where the surprise of some of those movements could have a definite benefit in a real fight.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kacey said:
It was quite lovely to watch, and in many ways looked like break-dancing at first glance

I thought the same thing when I watched.

capoeirascience (thanks for the link!) or Flying Crane,

It seems like I've seen something like this on a show about martial arts before. Wasn't the 'dance-looking' aspect to disguise the fact that the 'performers' were actually sparing and training to fight?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
crushing said:
IWasn't the 'dance-looking' aspect to disguise the fact that the 'performers' were actually sparing and training to fight?

That is the common thought on it, altho it may not be historically accurate. The history of capoeira's development is pretty cloudy, prior to about 1930 or so.