Martial Art,sprt or just whatever

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I was training last night, I started to notice the different way my instructors teach. The one's that are heavenily into the sport, wants the kick to have alot of speed to get there first, the one's that are into the Art are more into the proper mechanics of how to throw a kick and the ones that are mainly into te SD portion are teaching how to have more and more power into the kicks.

Now I believe we all need balance into our training so if yo where to break, everybody into groups and formalate every piece into one arsonal would that not make them complete, so why is it certain people just wants to train one way?

Now I tend to train all three aspect for my school, so why havent other instructors I train with picked up on this aspect and so heavenly only see there way of being right?

Terry

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
As I was training last night, I started to notice the different way my instructors teach. The one's that are heavenily into the sport, wants the kick to have alot of speed to get there first, the one's that are into the Art are more into the proper mechanics of how to throw a kick and the ones that are mainly into te SD portion are teaching how to have more and more power into the kicks.

Now I believe we all need balance into our training so if yo where to break, everybody into groups and formalate every piece into one arsonal would that not make them complete, so why is it certain people just wants to train one way?

Now I tend to train all three aspect for my school, so why havent other instructors I train with picked up on this aspect and so heavenly only see there way of being right?

Terry

Back when I did train TDK (pre-Olympic) my instructor did not separate anything in the training. He stressed proper alignment and mechanics to gain power and speed.

He did separate into 2 groups for sparing, those wanting sports TDK and those that didn't. However all were welcome to spar in either group

My TDK training was a long time ago and I am happy to say that I recently heard from a post on MT that he still trains people the same way.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
He did separate into 2 groups for sparing, those wanting sports TDK and those that didn't. However all were welcome to spar in either group
Home stereo sparring? Did they have separate divisions for LPs vs cassettes? :uhyeah:

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry,

I think it really comes from how they learned. If their instructor was that way, more or less they will be that way as well to a certain degree of course.

Also, you have to take in account what is their motivation for teaching. If they began TKD as a sport and was only interested in it as a sport than naturally they will teach it that way and feel liek it is the best way.

Many of those that teach sport TKD feel that it can be used in the street just as effective as anything else and may really see no difference. Likewise those that teach the SD part may see no need for sport and teach their way and feel like sport has no place. I think they all have respect for each way but of course we all think our way is the better way. :)
Hope that helped

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree that it the focus depends partly on the particular instructor's training and largely on their philosophy and personal strengths. As long as none of them are saying that their way is the only way to do it and agree that each has merit, then I'd say learn from all of them and grow in all aspects.

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Personally I'm a Sd person, but I don't try to seperate things into various focuses

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:

Terry
Terry, I have a strong bias towards "the Art", and SD, but in general my view is that proper mechanics rule.

First, to prevent injuries.
But from a tactical standpoint, physics dictate that all else being equal, increased speed equates to dramatic increases in power. The best way to increase speed in the short run is to make sure the mechanics are correct.
So it's all kind of the same thing. Better mechanics = more speed = more power. If you try to teach speed or power as separate entities, the tendency for most students is to tense up, or unwittingly sacrifice proper mechanics, which invariably robs them of speed, and ultimately, power.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am all about the self defense side, as are my instructors. It is all about proper mechanics with them. I understand the popularity of the sport aspect of tkd, I also believe it has its place. With that being said, me personally as well as my teachers have the belief that sparring is a tool to help understand and put technique together.

Latest Discussions