True Kenpo???

K

Kenpo viking

What is true Kenpo ????
And who is to say what is right or wrong. Who gets to play god.
What do you think???

The little viking

:viking2: :viking3:

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr.Viking,
I am not sure I understand your post? Are you asking for a system defination, or a general defining of kenpo/fist law?
Would Mr.Parker Sr.'s, defination of "pure karate" suffice?
Salute in Christ,
Donald:asian:

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

I think kenpoviking was asking a philisophical question, not what SGM Ed Parker's meaning of it was, each person should have his/her own meaning as to what it means to them, I think kenpo viking was asking what kenpo is to you, Is it pure out'n'out self defense, a way to relax, A Habit, It can mean anything you want it to mean, For me pure kenpo is confidence, It is how I Feel about myself, gorwing up really skinny I was picked on alot, I now realize that the only reason i was picked on was because i allowed people to pick on me, I would never fight back, after i began kenpo, that stopped, all the people that picked on me for years now don't, they realize that although still the same skinny guy I wont allow myself to be a victim and i Will fight back, Kenpo gives me the confidence to fight back when im being pushed on.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I think I understand what Kenpo Viking was say with his comment. I believe true Kenpo is what you make of the art from the knowledge that is available to all of us. Hence the idea of tailoring your art. As long as you follow the rules of motion, and have a solid foundation who is to tell you what you are doing is wrong. If I am incorrect on this matter please educate me, I am always willing to learn more.

OP
W

WilliamTLear

There are no pure styles of Karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh no matter who delivers or recieves.
--Ed parker's Definition of Pure Karate

My Definition of True (pure?) Kenpo (karate?) = No political non-sense, a working knowledge of the system and the basics, and a practical approach to self-defense.

:shrug:

Billy Lear

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by WilliamTLear

There are no pure styles of Karate. Purity comes only when pure knuckles meet pure flesh no matter who delivers or recieves.
--Ed parker's Definition of Pure Karate

But there are pure styles of karate, the historical fighting method of the Ryukyu kingdom. Shorin-ryu is fairly close for example. Perhaps this is better taken as a comment on martial arts in general rather than karate in particular.

This quote sounds like boxing to me! Perhaps I am reading something different into pure than he intended.

OP
W

WilliamTLear

You must be making a reference to the standardized Karate systems that came into exhistance between 1609 and 1903 in Okinawa. Sorry I don't share your idea that these forms of Karate are pure, although they are the Roots of todays American Kenpo among other martial arts.

What you are saying is similar to saying that a pure Ford automobile is an Old Model-T vs. a 1960 Ford Mustang.

:argue:

I hear what your saying, but it just doesn't wash.

Bill Lear

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by WilliamTLear

What you are saying is similar to saying that a pure Ford automobile is an Old Model-T vs. a 1960 Ford Mustang.

:argue:

I hear what your saying, but it just doesn't wash.

Bill Lear

The Mustang first came out in 1964. :soapbox:

:asian:

Chuck

OP
K

Kroy

True Kenpo comes from within, no matter which style you train in. For the most part we are all learning the same things but we must create the Kenpo that works best for ourselves. (said in Y.J. Kane voice):asian:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Kroy
True Kenpo comes from within, no matter which style you train in. For the most part we are all learning the same things but we must create the Kenpo that works best for ourselves. (said in Y.J. Kane voice):asian:

Outstanding post, well said!:asian:

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpo viking
What is true Kenpo ????
And who is to say what is right or wrong. Who gets to play god.
What do you think???

The little viking

:viking2: :viking3:

True Kenpo? No nonsense martial arts, free of politics. Training alongside your peers and receiveing guidance without the guise of an Organization in the shadows.

You are only wrong if you break the rules of Kenpo set forth by Mr. Parker, when he created the system.

:asian:

Latest Discussions