Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20060301/1008783.asp

Some interesting excerpts:

Zogby surveyed 944 American troops - from the Army and the Marine Corps, the active-duty forces, the Reserves and the National Guard - between Jan. 18 and Feb. 14.

he survey conducted by Zogby International in conjunction with LeMoyne College found that 29 percent of U.S. troops in Iraq said American forces should withdraw immediately. Some 22 percent said they should withdraw within six months, and 21 percent said they should pull out within six to 12 months.

While 89 percent of reservists and 82 percent of those in the National Guard want U.S. troops to leave Iraq within a year, about 70 percent of active-duty Army troops and 58 percent of the Marines said that.

Most part-time troops never expected to be deployed to Iraq so long or so often, and Boyd said that might explain why they're more anxious for their mission to end. While a majority of troops favor a quick end to the war, they're not especially happy with the antiwar movement. When asked why some Americans favor a rapid troop withdrawal, 37 percent said it was because those Americans were unpatriotic.

Most interestingly:
85 percent of troops surveyed said a major reason for the Iraq War was to retaliate for Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein's role in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Meanwhile, 77 percent said another major reason was to stop Saddam from protecting al-Qaida in Iraq.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
85 percent of troops surveyed said a major reason for the Iraq War was to retaliate for Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein's role in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Meanwhile, 77 percent said another major reason was to stop Saddam from protecting al-Qaida in Iraq.

How is it that 85 % of the American soldiers can be so wrong on such a basic fact? Could it be that the military controls all sensory input?

Did you know the military broadcasts the Rush Limbaugh show to the soldiers throughout the world, but not Air America?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
How is it that 85 % of the American soldiers can be so wrong on such a basic fact? Could it be that the military controls all sensory input?

Did you know the military broadcasts the Rush Limbaugh show to the soldiers throughout the world, but not Air America?

I'm actually completely taken aback by that statistic. Does the military really have that much control of information? Would they purposely tell soldiers this in order to improve troop morale? Is there something at else at work here?

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to see the actual survey questions asked. That's too high a number, so there has to be something else at work here, like you say. In the article, Zogby states that both of those things are demonstrably false, but really, only the first part is demonstrably false, regarding Hussein's role in 9/11. You can't demonstrate that Hussein was or was not protecting al-Qaeda in Iraq. I wonder if there was a bias, or only a few questions, although Zogby does have a pretty good reputation, so it's hard telling. Does Limbaugh contend that Hussein had anything to do with 9/11? I don't listen to him, but I'd be a little surprised if he actually tries to convince people of that. I'd question it just as much if the article had discovered that 85% wanted to stay...that's just too high a number for me to believe without seeing the methodology on an opinion topic like this. I just can't believe that 85% of any group would believe that something that's false is true.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's kinda what I thought. I can't believe that high of a number on the 9/11 issue.

The other articles give a bit more info to flesh out the Buf Snooze one, but while I looked I wasn't able to find the actual survey.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rush does not talk about Saddam having chief role of 9/11, unless I missed it. I don't listen all the time. Don't have time!

michaeledward said:

Air America is fledgling. Rush has a huge audience. Based on that alone, porting Rush makes more sense, since more people would likely enjoy listening to him. I personally have not heard Air America since its not in the region here. If I were in the military, I'd much prefer listening to someone uplifting and supportive of our troops and the job they are doing over there. I doubt Air America would be even remotely in favor of anything going on over there. I'd call that a moral deflater.

Regarding all sensory input, they can't control that. They have internet there. People come and go back home. They get data while home. thats impossible to stop. Suggesting total sensory input contol, given the current situation over there, seems a bit naive and paranoid.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Air America is fledgling. Rush has a huge audience. Based on that alone, porting Rush makes more sense, since more people would likely enjoy listening to him. I personally have not heard Air America since its not in the region here. If I were in the military, I'd much prefer listening to someone uplifting and supportive of our troops and the job they are doing over there. I doubt Air America would be even remotely in favor of anything going on over there. I'd call that a moral deflater.

How many USO tours has anal cyst Limbaugh been on?

How many USO tours has Al Franken been on?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
How many USO tours has anal cyst Limbaugh been on?

How many USO tours has Al Franken been on?

Michael, I now understand why your reputation has been disabled. That comment is exceptionally rude and tasteless. Mods, feel free to step in.

Limbaugh has been to Afghanistan. I don't keep track of how many times. Nor do I know if he has been to Iraq. I don't follow his footsteps and I listen to him when driving to lunch, which happens to be about once every two weeks. Nor do I follow the footsteps of Al Franken.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
I doubt Air America would be even remotely in favor of anything going on over there. I'd call that a moral deflater.

mrhnau said:
Nor do I follow the footsteps of Al Franken.

mrhnau ... that you are unaware of Air America, but are willing to make claims about what they are 'in favor of' or not, I think speaks volumes.

As for any comment that is rude or tasteless ... if you are refering to the 'anal cyst Limbaugh' ... please understand it is not a derogatory comment, but rather a descriptive one. Perhaps you are unaware that Mr. Limbaugh did not serve in the military during the Vietnam era because of "pilonidal cyst'.

http://www.snopes.com/military/limbaugh.htm

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Keep it civil eh folks?

Going back to the survey, the numbers for the most part reflect accurately IMO. A group of tired part-timers and career military ready to go home. The regulars are more open to a longer deployment than the NG.

The only thing that really sticks out to me as odd was the 9/11 blame figure. Something there doesn't sit right with me, especially as I've asked that question to at least 4 or 5 who had gone through the sandbox, and none blamed Sadam. Definately odd.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My opinion is... All media outlets in the USA will only present views that are within the permissible spectrum of public opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
The only thing that really sticks out to me as odd was the 9/11 blame figure. Something there doesn't sit right with me, especially as I've asked that question to at least 4 or 5 who had gone through the sandbox, and none blamed Sadam. Definately odd.

That is very disturbing, but I would say it is to be expected. Most people I know on a day to day basis, believe Saddam was the mastermind behind the Sept 11, attacks. That is pityful!

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Keep it civil eh folks?

Going back to the survey, the numbers for the most part reflect accurately IMO. A group of tired part-timers and career military ready to go home. The regulars are more open to a longer deployment than the NG.

I tend to like the Zogby polls... but I'd be interested who they asked... I might have to sit down and read a few of those links you provided... I know alot of military folks, and none blame Saddam directly for 9/11...

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:

In the most recent State of the Union address, how long did it take the President to invoke the memory of 911?

If the Commander in Chief of the United States military repeatedly ties what is going on in Iraq to 911, why wouldn't the soldiers, who have taken an oath to follow the orders of that Commander in Chief, believe those assertions.

At every turn, the President ties every foreign policy action to 911.

It is called 'The Big Lie' ... say something loud enough, and long enough, and people will start to believe it.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
mrhnau ... that you are unaware of Air America, but are willing to make claims about what they are 'in favor of' or not, I think speaks volumes.

As for any comment that is rude or tasteless ... if you are refering to the 'anal cyst Limbaugh' ... please understand it is not a derogatory comment, but rather a descriptive one. Perhaps you are unaware that Mr. Limbaugh did not serve in the military during the Vietnam era because of "pilonidal cyst'.

http://www.snopes.com/military/limbaugh.htm

Only you would view that comment as not rude or tasteless. I'll just leave it at that.

I've not listened to Air America, but I've listened to Franken often. Unless he has decided to make a HUGE 180, I know what he talks about on his program.
I agree! BRING THEM HOME!

I would love to see them home, but I'd like them to com ehome after the region has stabalized and there is a working government that no longer needs us. Pulling out prematurely could potentially be disasterous. As long as they want us there (they are free to request us to leave, but I'm sure that would be debated) and we see a clear need to stay, I can't see us doing a complete withdrawl. I think its going to be a gradual thing. The more capable they are of defending themselves or policing their own people, the less troops we need over there. Sadly, the recent bombings demonstrate that they have a ways to go...

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
I would love to see them home, but I'd like them to come home after the region has stabalized and there is a working government that no longer needs us. Pulling out prematurely could potentially be disasterous. As long as they want us there (they are free to request us to leave, but I'm sure that would be debated) and we see a clear need to stay, I can't see us doing a complete withdrawl. I think its going to be a gradual thing. The more capable they are of defending themselves or policing their own people, the less troops we need over there. Sadly, the recent bombings demonstrate that they have a ways to go...

The 'region' has not been stable for thousands of years. When the 15 million Shia start shooting at the 5 million Sunni, The United States valiant 158,000 are going to be in the cross fire. Does the name Custer mean anything to you?

The recent bombings, and the 1,300 dead, have only a few accompanying American casualties because the Americans are staying within their fortified oases. Travelling into the city only when the curfew is in place. The Vermont soldier (Spc. Merchant) that died on Wednesday was serving at a command post at a police headquarter.

Our military service people are becoming prisoners within their bases. Bases that are becoming more permanent with each passing day.

Latest Discussions