Triple Warmer (heater) 23

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A while ago I posted that this was one of my favorite pressure points to strike because it has the potential to cause blindness, this was disputed I now have a video to back up my claims so here it is

**note this has been edited I could not figure out how to put the video on here so that you can see it.**

Epson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hate to say this, but could those guy have found their nitch for making money, on people.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm.

Just curious ... could you give a brief summation of your escalation of force leading to a strike to TW23?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Great Post

Love the Clip, I think it about time we brought the whole idea of mysterious pressure point strikes intoi the lime light

Any other clips that you can't post?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you can't see the video, it's because the technique worked--you're blind!

I assume that you mean a temporary blindness, ppko? Can you put the video on a web page and post the link?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry for being late to the discussion, but what claim was made for this pressure point?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ppko said:
A while ago I posted that this was one of my favorite pressure points to strike because it has the potential to cause blindness, this was disputed I now have a video to back up my claims so here it is

**note this has been edited I could not figure out how to put the video on here so that you can see it.**
How is watching a video going to convince me that the hapless assistant has gone blind? I mean, even the actor who portrayed the great master Po in Kung Fu was not really blind. He was just an actor!!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Al Pacino was medically blinded for his role in Scent of a Woman, then had the procedure reversed.

Or to put it another way...it'll take a study in the NEJM to convince me that a person is blinded by a pressure point hit. Stunned and the eyes closed, sure. Blinded only, though? I can't see it (no pun intended!).

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ppko said:

Supporting Members can post videos.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Or to put it another way...it'll take a study in the NEJM to convince me that a person is blinded by a pressure point hit. Stunned and the eyes closed, sure. Blinded only, though? I can't see it (no pun intended!).
The Bubishi (Bible of Karate) lists 36 vital striking points. TH2 (hand) and TH17 (jawbone) are included, but no mention anywhere in the book about TW23, or
any vital point which might result in blindness if properly struck.

Since TW23 is less than 1" from the eyeball itself, a hard strike in this area could certainly cause sufficient trauma to the eye itself or the orbital bone which surrounds the eye to cause loss of eyesight. This leads to another question: since TW23 is so close to the eyeball anyway, if you wish to cause blindness in an opponent, why not just attack the eyeball directly?

I only know of one technique (other than an eye gouge) which has been reputed to cause blindness, but when I was 13 my parents told me not to try it.....:rolleyes:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
I only know of one technique (other than an eye gouge) which has been reputed to cause blindness, but when I was 13 my parents told me not to try it.....:rolleyes:
Medical studies have disproven this technique as well.

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
ppko, you're killin' me! Send me the link via regular email and I'll try to post it for you. That's hilarious...you must have hit me pretty good in TW23 because I can't see the video either. It sucks that that was the first post because you can't erase the whole thread.

Martial Tucker said:
Since TW23 is less than 1" from the eyeball itself, a hard strike in this area could certainly cause sufficient trauma to the eye itself or the orbital bone which surrounds the eye to cause loss of eyesight.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I understand it. I've heard what ppko's saying and that was the reasoning for it. It's probably just like striking a pp around the knee will release the knee better than striking the knee directly. Attacking an eyeball can be resisted, especially if it's only a strike, but constant pressure acn damage an eyeball. ppko is big on strikes, though, so a blinding strike would suit his style more that a pushing technique. Depends on the situation, I guess.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
If you can't see the video, it's because the technique worked--you're blind!

I assume that you mean a temporary blindness, ppko? Can you put the video on a web page and post the link?
No actually this was on Fox sports network and the guy had to go through emergency surgery to save his sight. It is a basketball game the player didn't like the call and hit the ref. I actually have a friend working on putting this clip on a website right now as I am a computer idiot.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial Tucker said:
The Bubishi (Bible of Karate) lists 36 vital striking points. TH2 (hand) and TH17 (jawbone) are included, but no mention anywhere in the book about TW23, or
any vital point which might result in blindness if properly struck.

Since TW23 is less than 1" from the eyeball itself, a hard strike in this area could certainly cause sufficient trauma to the eye itself or the orbital bone which surrounds the eye to cause loss of eyesight. This leads to another question: since TW23 is so close to the eyeball anyway, if you wish to cause blindness in an opponent, why not just attack the eyeball directly?

LOL, yes you are right orbital bone is one of the weakest in the skull as it connect on both sides annd it is also a hollow bone. YOu bring up a good point on attacking the eyeball, I will do it but it has to present itself and this also looks better to people could look just like an accident.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Xequat said:
ppko, you're killin' me! Send me the link via regular email and I'll try to post it for you. That's hilarious...you must have hit me pretty good in TW23 because I can't see the video either. It sucks that that was the first post because you can't erase the whole thread.

done hopefully you can post it. To everyone I am sorry I couldnt post the video hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
ppko said:
No actually this was on Fox sports network and the guy had to go through emergency surgery to save his sight. It is a basketball game the player didn't like the call and hit the ref. I actually have a friend working on putting this clip on a website right now as I am a computer idiot.
Hey Bro.
I've seen that clip. Now.....while I'm a believer in TCM and the use of pressure points (I am), I know the clip you are talking about. The ref's optic nerve was pinched by a swelling in the muscles behind & around the eye.
Not that what you are saying (accessing the Trip.Warm. 23) won't cause a persons eyes to go whacko.... that I really don't know!
But in that clip it was much more "mechanical failure" than anything else.

Your Brother
John

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, this sounds like a reasonable explanation! I was wondering if it was that or a burst blood vessel somewhere.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
optic nerve was pinched by a swelling in the muscles behind & around the eye.
I suppose it is possible that a strike to TW23 could cause this...

Latest Discussions