Attended a Bill "Superfoot" Wallace Seminar Today!

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just got back from a Bill "Superfoot" Wallace seminar today and loved it. The two things that stuck out to me are 1) he is fast, even at his age of 65, and 2) it is better to have 1 good weapon than 2 mediocre weapons.

We started the seminar with extensive stretching. One of the core stretches was side stretch, hold for 10 seconds, then spread the legs a little further apart, hold for 10 seconds, for I think 10 times. After that, I realised I could be stretching a whole lot more than I am!

Then we did leg strengthening and kicking exercises. We held the primary (leading) kicking leg out for about 30-45 seconds, and repeated 3 times. We then did kicking exercises with the primary leg, with the leg staying up and out for roundhouses, sidekick, and hookkick, while using a partner for balancing. As this point I was fried! Someone asked if we would work the other leg, and he commented that it is better to have 1 good weapon than 2 mediocre weapons - interesting point!

We then spent the balance of the afternoon doing kicking and faking drills. He showed an interesting "bounce" where the legs come together like in a jumping jack. Although the upper body stays in the same place, the rear leg is actually now closer to the opponent, closing the distance for a kick. It was an eye opener to me to see him make some distance while moving the upper body very little!

We closed the day with 3 rounds of shadow boxing, for about 2 minutes each.

All in all, I really enjoyed the day. If I have a chance to go to another of his seminars, I definitely will!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had him in our dojo some 35 years ago. It is awesome that he is still out and about.:asian:

Latest Discussions