Training With a Cold

G

goshawk

Okay folks, I'm hoping people here will have some experience with this, as this is the second time I've had to deal with it this year.

I train at my dojo daily (twice daily, whenever I can get away with it), and I loathe missing classes. Yes, I'm a complete addict. I know there's nothing I can do about missing classes when I'm sick; my instructors would hunt me down and tie me to a tree or something if I got them sick. =P

My question is rather, when should I go back to training? For example, I got sick this past Saturday, was mostly recovered yesterday (Tuesday), and I went and trained today. All that remained of the cold was a runny nose and the odd cough. That seemed okay, but I really don't want to make the cold worse and lose more training time.

...At the same time, I don't want to take more time off than is absolutely necessary. That would just be silly.

I've looked it up online, and the responses vary from "if you don't exercise through your cold, you're stupid!" to "if you exercise through a cold, you'll NEVER GET BETTER!" So, does exercise help recovery? Impede recovery? Cause my skin to turn green with purple spots? =P Just wondering what people here have done in the past.

Thanks,
Goshawk.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't do it...Did it once because I felt I had recovered and had an excellent workout..I would up in bed for about a week..Give your body a chance to fully rest and recover..

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have to agree not to do it. Better to rest and go at it again fully recovered. If you dont wait, the condition could worsen.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with the last 2 posters as well!! Just like an injury, its best to wait until you're 100% before you resume the training.

Mike

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I'm the odd man out here. When I start coming down with something, I train. Either it goes away or it floors me. If I do end up missing (I hate that also), as soon as I'm no longer contagious, I'm back in class, regardless of how I feel. I find the deep breathing helps clear the crap out of my lungs.

Regards,

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've done both. I used to wait until I was no longer contagious, when I was feeling worse, achy etc. then go back when I felt more normal. But I think you still can transmit from coughing or blowing your nose and not washing hands.

I got a cold last fall which lasted for months until it became sinusitis and got some antibiotics. I went to class but it was a struggle. I wasn't coughing or dribbling but after a ton of cold products it wasn't going away.

A few weeks ago I got a cold from my son. But this time I also had bursitis in both shoulders and a sore knee. I stayed home. I took my multi-vitamin twice a day, extra C, took care of myself and was back in training after a week without a dribbly nose or coughing. After two weeks it was gone completely. TW

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've done both too with differing results - I suppose it depends on what's got hold of you. I think a good plan is, if you're not too bad off, go and walk through things, no rough workout - and make sure you keep your body warm and cover your head before you leave for outside.

OP
G

goshawk

Thanks guys. I think the consensus so far is to give it some time, make sure I feel at least half-decent, then take it easy until I'm sure I'm fine. ::sigh:: Aighty then. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to invite pneumonia or something just for training.

Oh, thanks for the reminder about wrapping up after, shesulsa. ^__^

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've heard that there is an increased risk of developing fibromyalgia if you continue to strenously exercise through a cold. (Not a huge risk to begin with.)

OP
T

TonyM.

Please don't go to class when your infectious. Sharing isn't always a good thing.

Latest Discussions