Training Regime

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
These are just images that I've downloaded in the past.
I found them with a search engine by searching for:
Free, Animated, +Gif

should come up with several good sites.
I like searching with these:
www.wisenut.com
www.google.com
www.searchalot.com

let me know how it goes...
happy hunting...
Your Brother
John

Attachments

• $over_under_shotgun_turning_md_wht.gif
    $over_under_shotgun_turning_md_wht.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 138
OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by Chu-Chulain

What kind of training regime do most people have or reccomend?

What sort of breakdown in activity is appropriate between:

Basics (kicks, blocks, strikes, stances, etc.)
Maneouvers / combination moves
Techniques
Forms/ Sets
Sparring
Stretching
Cross Training (weights, aerobics, etc.)
Other??

Personally I am interested in advancing to Black Belt and teaching, which has always interested me.

If I may I'm going to change your break down somewhat.

- The stuff you are trying to learn
- The ciricullm (forms, sets, techniques etc.) that you use to practice the stuf you are trying to learn
- other exercies to learn "the stuf"
- other good stuf (stretching, weight lifting etc.)

The point I am trying to make here is that what I feel one should be practicing is not the curriculum per se but rather use the curriculum to help you train whatever it is you want to train. For example, if you wanted to focus on posture you could use short form 1, universal form 1 (AKKS I believe), your own form, a green belt technique line, point sparring, etc. If you wanted to work on your attitude you could do contact sparring, go for a grappling session for 30 minutes with no breaks, practice long form 3 by yourself for X times without taking a break. The curriculum is not the ends but one of many means.

For our "other good stuff" category spend whatever time is appropriate. Their are *many* different philosophies on how much time should be spent strength training and how you should go about doing it, for example. I would prefer that that is left to the individual but stretching before formal classes are popular almost all schools and probably a good idea too.

Did that help with what you were actually asking at all?

Originally posted by Brother John

"train more than you sleep"

That was a quote from the creator of the art Kyukoshinkai Karate-Do. I kinda like it, not really workable in today's pace of life, but wouldn't it be great?

Until you laugh at yourself years later and wonder at how amazingly uninteligent your training was by your standards now. A little moderation mixed in with long term comitment and thinking quality before quanitity will go a long way (no I am not speaking from experience, I don't think their are many people with the motivation to train 16 hours a day, and if their are I'm not one of them).

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
quanitity

??????????????????????????

Just kidding.
I mess up more than you do anyway...
have a good one..
Your Brother
John

PS: Why wait years to laugh at myself?
I do it all the time.
"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
Robin Williams

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
A little moderation mixed in with long term comitment and thinking quality before quanitity will go a long way

That is key! To take your training REGULARLY, but at a pace and amount that fits you and your drive. Personally I try to train about two hours a day... when time permits. But I don't beat myself up if I only get 20 minutes either. The big thing I think is to be consistent and persistant!!! To overdo it is to burn oneself out. Burn out is a very big adversary in the martial arts I think. Been there often. But to keep at it, to train on days that you don't even feel like getting out your belt... those are the days that make the difference between a Kenpo hobbiest and a Kenpoist. Right now I'm dealing with an injury so I must take more time to go through my training, cuz I'm doing Kenpo at Tai-Chi speed right now. But I'm getting a lot done as far as working on fluidity and form. Trick is to turn even our apparent set backs into stepping stones for our future.

OK...I'm preaching.....
later bro..
Your Brother
John

Attachments

• $karate_baby.gif
    $karate_baby.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 144
OP
J

jeffkyle

That is key! To take your training REGULARLY, but at a pace and amount that fits you and your drive. Personally I try to train about two hours a day... when time permits. But I don't beat myself up if I only get 20 minutes either. The big thing I think is to be consistent and persistant!!! To overdo it is to burn oneself out. Burn out is a very big adversary in the martial arts I think. Been there often. But to keep at it, to train on days that you don't even feel like getting out your belt... those are the days that make the difference between a Kenpo hobbiest and a Kenpoist. Right now I'm dealing with an injury so I must take more time to go through my training, cuz I'm doing Kenpo at Tai-Chi speed right now. But I'm getting a lot done as far as working on fluidity and form. Trick is to turn even our apparent set backs into stepping stones for our future.

OK...I'm preaching.....
later bro..
Your Brother
John

Tai-Chi Kenpo...now there is a combination! I will have to see that one to believe it! :)

OP
B

brianhunter

OK...I'm preaching.....
later bro..
Your Brother
John

Hey Brother (I feel like hulk hogan everytime I say that) Im all about the tai chi kenpo HAHAHa we all cant be speedsters like jeff !!!

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by Elfan

ciricullm

huh???
;)
Your Brother
John
PS: though not a proper word, stuff is spelled with 2 Fs.

I managed to spell it with 4 "i"s once while writing it, spell checker and myself weren’t on the same page on how to fix it apparently.

The moderation thing is something I really had to learn the hard way. I haven’t been a member of a school for over 6 months now. Initially after I left I had some pretty regular training going with friends. However, that tapered off somewhat as people moved/schedules changed. After than I went to a couple of seminars where I would end up training 6+ hours a day for several days straight. However, after getting back I would constantly kick myself for not training enough. It became this cycle where I wasn’t happy when I wasn't training and I wasn't happy when I was training because I wasn't training enough. I think since then I have (hopefully) gotten over that somewhat. I train in little bits (10 minutes here, 10 more there, hit the desk a lot during class until the person in front of me starts complaining) and have been working on memorizing one quote/definition/principle a day. As you might have gathered above I'm not into memorizing lots of techniques but I really wish I had been stricter about knowing what the terminology I was using actually meant.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by brianhunter

Hey Brother (I feel like hulk hogan everytime I say that) Im all about the tai chi kenpo HAHAHa we all cant be speedsters like jeff !!!

Why not?

Latest Discussions