Training on sore muscles?

spidersam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I always thought when muscles are sore, you rest them a day and work on something else. Ie, weight lifters do leg day Monday, arms Tuesday, etc.

It seems like the full time training schools, say Shaolin for example, train forms and flexibility everyday. How? Do I misunderstand? I’ve never been there; just impression through the Internet.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always thought when muscles are sore, you rest them a day and work on something else. Ie, weight lifters do leg day Monday, arms Tuesday, etc.

It seems like the full time training schools, say Shaolin for example, train forms and flexibility everyday. How? Do I misunderstand? I’ve never been there; just impression through the Internet.
they only tend to hurt,( to xtremes) when you first start an exxercis e, if you do it every day your muscles are used to that,

BUT hitting peak performance requires easy days and rest days, otherwise eventually you will grind to a Holt

. forms and flexibility are really at the light end , do them ( nearly) every day sort of excersise, unlike say dead lifting 500 lbs

OP
spidersam

spidersam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
they only tend to hurt,( to xtremes) when you first start an exxercis e, if you do it every day your muscles are used to that,

BUT hitting peak performance requires easy days and rest days, otherwise eventually you will grind to a Holt

. forms and flexibility are really at the light end , do them ( nearly) every day sort of excersise, unlike say dead lifting 500 lbs

Right I get what you’re saying and agree for the most part. What I find challenging is, at least with my school.. yesterday we practiced all formwork and then sparring. Today, legs are sore (no classes today). Tomorrow’s class will probably be formwork again, so today I will practice something on my own different (upper bodyweight exercises for example). I guess my confusion is, are these full time camp-style schools really running forms everyday? Or stretching daily? I suppose I would like to train on a more intensive level but want to be sure I’m doing it right.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its a bigger conversation about training intensity / rest,

But having sore muscles is a good sign, having very sore muscles , less so, there's nothing wrong with training on sore muscles, it aids recovery, but not performance

If your goal is to be able to train every day, train every day, if your aim is to be a peak performance for a tournament, then you need to have rest days,.

Over training is a very real thing, certainly as it effect peak performance

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right I get what you’re saying and agree for the most part. What I find challenging is, at least with my school.. yesterday we practiced all formwork and then sparring. Today, legs are sore (no classes today). Tomorrow’s class will probably be formwork again, so today I will practice something on my own different (upper bodyweight exercises for example). I guess my confusion is, are these full time camp-style schools really running forms everyday? Or stretching daily? I suppose I would like to train on a more intensive level but want to be sure I’m doing it right.

You are probably not sore to the point that you are disadvantaging yourself at this point.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It seems like resting sore muscles helps them. Usually it’s the opposite. A good warmup and stretch helps get the stuff that’s making them sore out.

Now if you’re talking about being very sore from a day of very heavy lifting, that’s a different story. Kinda. A good warmup and stretch will help, but don’t go back to heavy lifting exercise of those muscles the next day.

Stuff like forms, kicks, punches, etc. are generally perfectly fine to do again the next day, even if you’re sore.

Latest Discussions