Training in Okinawa

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to go to Okinawa and train there. I had the fortunate opprtunity to go last august and spend 2-1/2 weeks there. Don't ask why I am posting this now(must be the current heat and humidity brining back fond memories of my trip). I would like to hear some experiences from people who have made the trip.

In the spirit of Bushido!

Rob

okinawagojuryu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I went back in Oct , for about two weeks , & loved it as well . I told my wife , if I wasnt married I would have stayed . I had a chance to train w/ Hichiya Yoshio Sensei , & Shinzo Chinen Sensei , as well , in Goju Ryu . I also trained w/ my Kobudo Instructor , Nakamoto Masahiro Sensei . He is a great man , & has treated me like a son . He has taken me around Okinawa , showing me the sites , & taken me out to eat almost every day , & would not let me pay . I do look forward to my return next year . I'd like to hear about your experiences , as well , & where you trained ?

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny I told my wife the same thing last summer. I visited Okinawa last August and trained for 2-1/2 weeks with Shimabukuro Eizo Sensei. We trained and stayed at his house in Ginoza-son just north of Kin. Training was twice a day 2 hrs each session. In between we went and saw some of the sites and almost all of our meals were at his house. Lots of soup and rice.

Look forward to hearing more stories.

Rob

T

Troy Ostapiw/Canada

Hi I have a quick question for you all. I was recently in Tokyo to study jiu-jutsu.

I did not make it to Okinawa, but I saw a video on tv. It was called Deadly Arts, and they looked at aproximately 5 Karate instructors in Okinawa.
There was one instructor who worked as a police officer ex-undercover cop.
He specilized in the more combative form of Karate. What he was doing looked very much like trapping, alot of close quarter work. It was very crsisp, fluid and practical. The officer seemed to be in his late 30's early 40's looked young.

Any info would be great, thanks. Troy

okinawagojuryu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I havent seen the show , but my guess is it might be Masaji Taira , from The Jundokan . He is/was a cop in Naha , & the only way to describe him is REMARKABLE!

OP
chinto01

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Was wondering what sites you saw while on Okinawa? What was your training like also?

Rob

okinawagojuryu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shikina En , The Shuri Castle , & we watched the Tsunahiki , which is the worlds largest tug a war .
I recieved excellent instruction everyday . In the morining I would train w/ Nakamoto Sensei , he teaches Kobudo at Naha Nishi High School , & asked me to go w/ him ; I would then train w/ Hichiya Sensei in the afternoon's , then back to Nakamoto Sensei's at night . I stayed pretty busy , & loved every bit of it ! There were a few days that I didnt train w/ Hichiya Sensei , cause he was off doing a seminar in the mainland , so I went to the Okinawa Prefectual Budokan , where my friend would train w/ Gakiya Sensei , the successor of Matayoshi Kobudo . The Okinawa Prefectual Budokan is awesome , if you havent been there . Cause There's 3 floors , & on every floor there is a Dojo about the size of a basketball court . You could see just about every style train there , if you stick around long enough . I seen them train Batto Do , Mugai Ryu Iaido , Matayoshi Kobudo , & Naginata among others . I was quite suprised to see Japanese Budo being taught in Okinawa . The training I recieved from Hichiya Sensei was very detailed , and one on one private lessons , sometimes I'd actually have two Sensei correcting me , & I was just soaking it up like a sponge . The training from Nakamoto Sensei was very good , as well , but I did not get to train w/ him privately , however I did get to spend alot of time talking w/ him privately , & we formed an excellent student teacher relationship . He has a heart of gold ! I cannot wait to go back to see him . He treated me like a son , & was very hard for me to leave . During our meals we would discuss his training w/ Choshin Chibana , Taira Shinken , talk about current events , the culture , different instructors in Okinawa , and I'm sure many other topics i cant think of right now . Nakamoto Sensei is an extraordinary man , that truly cares about his students , & loves Okinawan Culture , Karate , & Kobudo . I believe if anyone trains Okinawan Karate/Kobudo , they should atleast visit Okinawa once in their life , it will change your outlook on life , & what Karate truly is .

K

kenpochad

I have never been able to go out of the country for trainning.
how ever i have been invited to go to china next september for nine
days of train .but i dont think that i will be able to come up with
the founds.
icon9.gif

Latest Discussions