Have you ever wondered????

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
So I am sitting here wondering what would have happened if during WWII the U.S. and Japan did not slug it out on Okinawa. Would we know about the beautiful art of karate or would it be lost to us? Think of the rich history that would not have been lost the books, pictures, etc etc........ I must recommend that if any of you get the opportunity to get to Okinawa or go back to visit the karate museum run by Hokama Sensei. He has done a great job with getting some of the old pictures and writings of some of the old masters and preserving them.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rob you are right about that, just think what might have been. Glad to hear someone is trying to preserve all that history.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
One other thing that would not have been lost was my cousin, a Marine Corps infantryman who was killed there by a mortar round.

Wars destroy history and humans - we should not engage in them unless absolutely necessary and even then we must rebuild and restore what we can. That includes ending the hate, a lesson my father - another Marine veteran of the South Pacific - taught me.

I wish this museum and the Okinawans all good fortune.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The art of Karate would have spread to America even if we did not fight Japan.

Hawaii became a State in 1959.....Many Japanese/Okinawans/Chinese came to Hawaii pre 1900's many brought with them there martial art skills and teaching.

Many of those same people also move to America to find a better life before world war 2, and live in America. Many brought there martial art skills to America. (keep secret to many Americans) in America.

Martial Arts would have spead...because many American would have been interested once they saw Karate or any martial arts.....

Because of the World Wars....many experts were killed and some arts lost there most skill people.

Amercian soldiers were impress with Karate. Learn it brought it to America. Some invited their teacher to come to America

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator's Note:

Thread moved to "The War College."

-Ronald Shin
-MT Supermoderator