Training in Japan

skepticsnake

White Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering out of curiosity if anyone here has trained in Japan, both from Genbukan and Bujinkan at the respective honbu dojo's.

If so what is the training like? Is there training everyday? Is there specific accomodation for those going to japan specifically to train? Would you reccomend training to those below shodan level?

Also is the training expensive? It would be great if someone could provide a rough price guide based on their experience!

All these questions are purely out of curiosity, just wanted some info on what its like to train in japan, something that alot of us think about but have little or no information on. Any answers and extra info would be amazing!

Thanks guys :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the Bujinkan, I know you need to be a member, or approved ahead of time, to train at the hombu dojo. I'd strongly suspect that the Genbukan hombu is the same.

You can find more about the Bujinkan at George Ohashi's site. You might also look around here; I know there are several threads discussing it.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the Bujinkan, I know you need to be a member, or approved ahead of time, to train at the hombu dojo. I'd strongly suspect that the Genbukan hombu is the same.

Yes. You need to be a member, and have been approved ahead of time, and the question has to be sent and approved by your own sensei IIRC.

I don't think there is a dojo fee for short stays, but you probably need to pay for the place where you stay during that time, and you need to pay your travel costs. All in all it is not that cheap.

So is it worth it below black belt level... I don't know. However, assuming that trips to Japan are not a common thing for you (considering the price), it might be worthwhile to wait until you have black belt (or are close) so that you have enough basic understanding to use those couple of weeks efficiently to absorb as much as possible, rather than having to spend valuable time figure out a basic kihon.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have been to Genbukan Hombu in Saitama,Japan.
If so what is the training like? Is there training everyday? Is there specific accomodation for those going to japan specifically to train? Would you reccomend training to those below shodan level?

I watched Kenjutsu practice. John Lindsay was there he is really loud and Tanemura looked at him like"oh god" with like an eye rolling expression. John kept saying" Am I doing it right Sensei!" Really loud it was funny.

I think you should train at the other Dojo's instead of Hombu more relaxing. I use to train in Soka Dojo in Soka city. I know one kyu who would train at Hombu but mostly for Chinese arts.
Also is the training expensive? It would be great if someone could provide a rough price guide based on their experience!
Not really if you are in Japan everything is expensive but for the price I think it is cheaper then in America.

I paided about 3000yen which is about $30 American.

Latest Discussions