Training in Hong Kong and somewhere to stay

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Will be hitting HK next year during my travels and I know some of you have been and trained in HK. Some good experiences and some not so good (KG). Any advice? I have mailed Wan Kam Lam and he said not a problem for me to turn up and train at one of the classes. As a novice with no sifu it doesnt make a difference about lineage to me or anyone famous, I may need someone who can communicate in English if possible. Any advice/experiences, good or bad welcomed.

Also any ideas on where to stay. There are some HK members on here...central, cheap and clean!!!! Probably an impossibility but hey I have to ask.

Has anyone travelled to Foshan from HK? There seems to be a bus around 4 hours, anyone got experience on it? Also Ip mans grave, I would like to pay my respects if possible...is this an option or is it private?

Am enjoying my travels so far - If anyone wants to read my blog....PM me and I will pass on the link to you. Just come out of Sumatra on an Orang Utan trek.

Cheers

Bully

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
sooooo jealous of this trip lol
top of my wish list is the orangutan sanctuarys.

i think kamon guy went to hong kong - perhaps pm him to get a view?

good luck
dammit lol
matsu

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Matsu,

You will love it over there - a lot to do!

My trip was disastrous mainly because of the accomodation, so my advice is to make sure the booking is sound

Wan Kam Leung is great and very worth the money (i think it was something like £100 for three sessions) and he usually has a translator there

Round the corner from WKL (same side of the street, but further down) there is a martial arts shop which stocked some good equipment as well as martial arts nik naks

Sam Lau impressed me - his students were lovely and he just seemed like an interesting bloke

You have to go see Ip Chun - he may not let you train (he didnt like the look of me when I went - I must have one of those faces!), but you can sit and watch a bit

You can also go to the various parks in the morning and join in doing the tai chi - it is fabulous to watch

For entertainment - get yourself to Wan Chei. Thats all Im saying about that...

I was very impressed that a lot of the people in Hong Kong speak English, and you will of course encounter McDonalds/KFC, etc if you get stuck for food

When are you going out? The flight was quite long, so its worth upgrading if you can

OP
bully

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are travelling for 10 months at the moment, all going well the flight will only be from Bangkok so should be OK.

The accomodation seems to be a minefield and really expensive, will have to do some more digging.

Matsu - Yeah trip is great, the Orangs were cool, it was the Mrs No1 thing to do so that was great. Have just emailed the Sifu in Foshan to see what is going to happen there and to see what kind of plan he has (or not!) for us. We are not getting there until March so have time, spending a month with him and then a month travelling in China then another month training in the North - all going well and if we like it of course.

KG will you PM the link of our blog. Food wise I eat anything and love Dim Sum so will be in heaven in HK. Will check out the parks and try to do some training too...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The accomodation seems to be a minefield and really expensive, will have to do some more digging...

The Hong Kong YMCA is one of the nicest in the world; it's really more of a hotel, and was pretty reasonable when I was there........of course, that was nearly 30 years ago.

(At the time, the weight room was a pretty interesting place, too. :wink: )

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Bully ,

Young man, there's a place you can go
I said young man, when you're short on your dough
You can stay there and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time

It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A
It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A.
They have everything for young men to enjoy
You can hang out with all the boys. :lol:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I stayed at the Kowloon Shangri-la before. It was nice and clean, but I'm not sure if it was cheap because the company paid for it. It is located on the mainland near the river, but it is a short walk to a ferry to go to the island.

http://www.shangri-la.com/en/property/hongkong/kowloonshangrila

I found they do have rates on their website, it looks like 2400 HKD a night, which is just over $300. Not cheap at all (based on my standards of cheapness anyway! lol).

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey Bully ,

Young man, there's a place you can go
I said young man, when you're short on your dough
You can stay there and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time

It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A
It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A.
They have everything for young men to enjoy
You can hang out with all the boys. :lol:

I actually went to the YMCA wen I was over there and I didnt see one builder or indian

So I stayed at Chun King Mansions...
Google it if you want a laugh...

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I actually went to the YMCA wen I was over there and I didnt see one builder or indian

I just looked at it , you stayed there ?
Bloody hell , the place looks like a death trap , it should be condemned.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just looked at it , you stayed there ?
Bloody hell , the place looks like a death trap , it should be condemned.

Yep I had two death threats, five girls offered me a 'massage', there were random screams in the middle of the night, but the best thing was the landlord who slept on the floor outside my door.

Aside from that, I woke up with cockroaches on my face, and the shower was situated directly over the toilet. Good times....

But it made the whole experience a bit more authentic!!!

Its worth popping along there if you get the chance....

OP
bully

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol, yeah I bet the Mrs would love to stay at the YMCA with me!!!! Mook you make me laugh mate and now I have that bloody song in my head!! That place looks awful KG!! Still none the wiser but now have our Lonely planet so will see what that comes up with. Sometimes its OK but others its completely wrong!!
Met up with CWK and am doing a bit of WC with him....he is very patient!! with my stumblings and poor memory thank god he is..all good stuff though and I would recommend any of you guys if you are passing Southern Thailand to drop in and see him.

wkmark

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Bully,

A while back you emailed me about this trip? I replied you, did you get my reply? Anyways, we are more than happy for you to come visit us when you are in Hong Kong. We are in Wan Chai area in the HK Side. As for accommodation, it all depends on how much you are willing to pay per night and the actual dates that you will be arriving Hong Kong. Just make sure you are not here during CNY. There are some decent hotels, and there are some places that as a local myself, I wouldn't be caught dead in it. Anyways, feel free to send me an email or reply on these forums. Have a great trip.

Regards,
Mark

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bully,

A while back you emailed me about this trip? I replied you, did you get my reply? Anyways, we are more than happy for you to come visit us when you are in Hong Kong. We are in Wan Chai area in the HK Side. As for accommodation, it all depends on how much you are willing to pay per night and the actual dates that you will be arriving Hong Kong. Just make sure you are not here during CNY. There are some decent hotels, and there are some places that as a local myself, I wouldn't be caught dead in it. Anyways, feel free to send me an email or reply on these forums. Have a great trip.

Regards,
Mark

Wan Chai!!! you goot ago there Bully!!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I just googled it and I don't think the word that ended up as "mansions" was translated correctly.

Wow!