Training exercise to strengthen tendon and ligaments

Poppity

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just going to add my random penny/dimes worth, from information everyone already knows as its all across the internet/

I think when people talk about strengthening tendons and ligaments they are mainly talking about for grip and to strengthen the fingers. The strength for this is not so much in the tendons and ligaments but in the muscles in the hand and in the forearm. There are a wide range of exercises to strengthen these muscles which can be found off the internet. By exercising any muscles you will also strengthen your tendons and ligaments, and the case of the hand stronger tendons assist mainly in it being less likely you will get a finger injury. Tendons and ligaments can be strengthened with exercise but it takes a lot longer to obtain an improvement than in muscles.

There are a lot of anecdotal stories about from climbers which suggest the degradation of hypertrophied tendons is slower than for muscles )when the use their finger for hanging) but I am not aware of any peer reviewed papers on it.

The three prayers to Buddha is good at stretching out your muscles, tendons and ligaments in your arm, but I don't think its going to get you any power.

When exercising muscles generally lots of people decide about balancing power from the weight you lift, against endurance for the period of time you can do it. As you exercise for a long period, with a similar stress load, lactic acid is released into the muscle resulting in the muscles becoming denser and smaller. Whereas if you concentrate on power lifting for short reps, your muscles will grow big for the power required, but your endurance will not be so great. In my own opinion exercise for MA is all about finding a balance between the two, because one is not so useful without the other.

If you want a 6 pack look, which I guess is for people who like to walk around with their shirt off, you will need to get your body fat down to 7%, the easiest way to do this is probably to keep exercising but cut out dairy and fried foods.

OP
S

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just going to add my random penny/dimes worth, from information everyone already knows as its all across the internet/

I think when people talk about strengthening tendons and ligaments they are mainly talking about for grip and to strengthen the fingers. The strength for this is not so much in the tendons and ligaments but in the muscles in the hand and in the forearm. There are a wide range of exercises to strengthen these muscles which can be found off the internet. By exercising any muscles you will also strengthen your tendons and ligaments, and the case of the hand stronger tendons assist mainly in it being less likely you will get a finger injury. Tendons and ligaments can be strengthened with exercise but it takes a lot longer to obtain an improvement than in muscles.

There are a lot of anecdotal stories about from climbers which suggest the degradation of hypertrophied tendons is slower than for muscles )when the use their finger for hanging) but I am not aware of any peer reviewed papers on it.

The three prayers to Buddha is good at stretching out your muscles, tendons and ligaments in your arm, but I don't think its going to get you any power.

When exercising muscles generally lots of people decide about balancing power from the weight you lift, against endurance for the period of time you can do it. As you exercise for a long period, with a similar stress load, lactic acid is released into the muscle resulting in the muscles becoming denser and smaller. Whereas if you concentrate on power lifting for short reps, your muscles will grow big for the power required, but your endurance will not be so great. In my own opinion exercise for MA is all about finding a balance between the two, because one is not so useful without the other.

If you want a 6 pack look, which I guess is for people who like to walk around with their shirt off, you will need to get your body fat down to 7%, the easiest way to do this is probably to keep exercising but cut out dairy and fried foods.
thanks snark!!! great response and heaps of help full information, didnt even cross my mind the SLT form was that useful in stretching out everything.

on a side note.....NO FRY FOOD :eek: ..........i'll have to reconsider this 6 pack body figure.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

what has given you to come to the conclusion that lactic acid results in muscles becoming denser and smaller ?

burning lactic acid durring endurance exercises results in the muscle carry a lot more glycogen and water, which makes the muscle more squishy and bigger

Poppity

Green Belt
Reaction score
hey no worries. I am just goofing off work a bit.

The cutting out of dairy and fried food is not forever, its just to create the deficit to get the weight and body fat down. Just to be boring... for example, to lose weight you will need to create a deficit of about 3,500 calories to lose just 1lb of weight. Whichever body plan or diet is sold, beneath all of the glitter is the point of creating this deficit, which is generally done through exercise and diet (as its very difficult to do it only concentrating on one, if not impossible). but once you have created the deficit and its lasted long enough to get where you want its all about maintenance.... so fried food is back on the menu.

saying all this... like most Brits, I like my beer warm, which is why my six pack is always covered.

Poppity

Green Belt
Reaction score
hey jobo... you didn't like my crappy explanation of slow twitch and fast twitch muscles fibres.?? fair enough it wasn't very good. The slow twitch muscle fibres for endurance are mainly aerobic, meaning they need a better blood supply to more efficiently get oxygen, one of the easiest ways for the body to do this, is to not increase the muscle size but to increase density of everything capillaries, mitochondria etc , as opposed to fast twitch muscles for power lifting, which are anerobic, less dense and have larger glycogen stores.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you lose weight just by cutting out one or two 'groups' of food, then reintroduce those as before you'll just put the weight back on.

It's entirely possible to lose weight with diet alone, it's just not usually that healthy. Just look at all the women who constantly yo-yo by starving themselves in spring to get the beach body, then pile it all back on over autumn/winter with comfort food.

It's quite simple, yet complicated...

You need your intake to be less than what you're using to lose weight, equal to maintain weight. If you change or introduce exercise, you could eat more and still lose weight ;)

Either reduce intake or increase usage, they both work. It's better to do a bit of both and don't try to get results in a week though...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hey jobo... you didn't like my crappy explanation of slow twitch and fast twitch muscles fibres.?? fair enough it wasn't very good. The slow twitch muscle fibres for endurance are mainly aerobic, meaning they need a better blood supply to more efficiently get oxygen, one of the easiest ways for the body to do this, is to not increase the muscle size but to increase density of everything capillaries, mitochondria etc , as opposed to fast twitch muscles for power lifting, which are anerobic, less dense and have larger glycogen stores.
that doesn't alter the fact that the result of endurance exercise is to increase the glycogen and water in the muscle which makes them bigger AND less dense, not the other way round as you would have it.

how exactly does a capillary become more dense, ?

Poppity

Green Belt
Reaction score
a capillary does not become more dense... density means "the quantity of people or things in a given area or space." so when someone says "increasing the density of everything" they mean increasing the quantity of everything in a given area

I hope that helps.
If you get this we can move on to the next point.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
a capillary does not become more dense... density means "the quantity of people or things in a given area or space." so when someone says "increasing the density of everything" they mean increasing the quantity of everything in a given area

I hope that helps.

That's a secondary meaning, as in 'population density'.

Primary meaning is 'quantity of mass per unit volume' (or 'degree of compactness of a substance' from another source).

So, I'd agree that the first way to interpret your statement would have been to increase the density of the individual capillaries...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I hope that helps.
no, density mean weight by volume, ie more weight less volume, not more things in a given space.

and you said smaller and more dense, and it doesn't make muscles " smaller"

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
no, density mean weight by volume, ie more weight less volume, not more things in a given space

Well...

You can increase the relative density of a space by putting more things in that space. People in a room, marbles in a jar (capillaries in a space).

What that doesn't do is alter the density of those things - people/marbles don't individually increase in density because there are more of them.

To increase the density of a person requires a change in structure (more muscle, less fat), to change the density of a marble usually requires a different material. Likewise, to change the density of a capillary means filling it with something...

Edit: oh, just a little extra point - weight has nothing to do with it... It's mass.

An object of a certain mass only has weight when it's acted on by an external force (like gravity) - an object on earth with a weight of 1lb 'weighs' nothing in space, but it's mass and density haven't changed ;)

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well...

You can increase the relative density of a space by putting more things in that space. People in a room, marbles in a jar (capillaries in a space).

What that doesn't do is alter the density of those things - people/marbles don't individually increase in density because there are more of them.

To increase the density of a person requires a change in structure (more muscle, less fat), to change the density of a marble usually requires a different material. Likewise, to change the density of a capillary means filling it with something...
yes, but that only if the things added are the same and the space is constant, adding glycogen to muscle tissue, increases the volume and as glycogen is lighter than muscle tissue decreased the density .

its like a) putting your marbles in a bigger jar and then adding marble sized foam rubber balls.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the whole rep range thing is miss understood,it has all most nothing to do with the number of reps and everything to do with time under tension, with tension being the force exerted on the muscle, ie the weight, and time how long you load it for

it seem that the best time under tension for stimulating muscle growth is as much as you can do for 1minete, or say 12 - 5 second reps, or twice the,weight for 30 seconds or half the weight for 120 seconds. They all end up much the same in that muscles are over loaded and stimulated to grow. Ok they don't all provoke the same mechanism for growth, but they all grow muscle. Cycling or running loads the mucle far less, but over a much longer time, so you can still look at it as time under tension and still get muscle growth.

a good all round program for strengh/ fitness will hit all the rep ranges and as a bonus grown muscle as a result in all ranges

people who are cycling or running to get good at cycling it running go to great lengths to limit the mucle growth as its extra weight to carry, so silly diets and nearly no protein, muscles can't grow with out protein

Last edited:

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
meaning they are lean and fast? i have never seen a muscular sprinter.....well not a successful one anyway LOL

marathon_sprinter1.jpg

U serious bro?

OP
S

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
marathon_sprinter1.jpg

U serious bro?
come on you cant use that as comparison, the other guy must be a marathon runner on the extreme end.
oh and the guy on the right is more rounded, he doesnt look like a body builder.

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score
i could never get how they are able to consume so much yet not gain fat. Weight lifting cannot possibly burn that much energy, and i dont think I've ever seen a body builder do cardio.

That's because you've clearly never been to a gym.

come on you cant use that as comparison, the other guy must be a marathon runner on the extreme end.
oh and the guy on the right is more rounded, he doesnt look like a body builder.

images

^ Fastest man alive. You going to tell me he doesn't lift?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you lose weight just by cutting out one or two 'groups' of food, then reintroduce those as before you'll just put the weight back on.

It's entirely possible to lose weight with diet alone, it's just not usually that healthy. Just look at all the women who constantly yo-yo by starving themselves in spring to get the beach body, then pile it all back on over autumn/winter with comfort food.

It's quite simple, yet complicated...

You need your intake to be less than what you're using to lose weight, equal to maintain weight. If you change or introduce exercise, you could eat more and still lose weight ;)

Either reduce intake or increase usage, they both work. It's better to do a bit of both and don't try to get results in a week though...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By they way aparently there is stretching for tendons and ligaments If you are mad keen for that sort of thing

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
Coiling Set Qi Gong certainly seems to help me in this respect - though most of it is mainly only for the upper body, the last two movements do target the knees and hips though

OP
S

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That's because you've clearly never been to a gym.

images

^ Fastest man alive. You going to tell me he doesn't lift?
Ok you got me there :facepalm:....... but as a last attemp to continue this argument will you accept the suggestion of good genetics?

Latest Discussions