How I train my horse stance

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like this only with a punch on the end
Still can't picture it. I've played tennis since I was 16 and I still can't that movement with a punch being at the end. When I picture it, like that I think of movies that have that punch which makes it look more dramatic, but in terms of function it's not practical. So you'll have get the actual punch on video for me to understand.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks

I've only been swept once in my life and that is from the other instructor that I had been training. For the longest he had the hardest time getting the sweep and it didn't take much for me to avoid or counter it. Then one day, the light bulb came on and he finally understood that technique. I was in a high stance when it happened and the only thing I remember is feeling my root being moved and me laying on the ground. I don't remember the actual fall. It was a kind sweep so no injuries. He's the only one. I won't let it happen again now that I know he understands how to make the technique work lol.

As for the low stance. I have had people kick my lead leg in an effort to sweep me but it never resulted in me falling. I'm fairly safe as long as I understand that weakness of being low. A low sweep to that leg won't work. I would see it a mile a way because of where the low stance positions my line of sight. A kick would have a better chance of uprooting a low stance like that but it's not a safe bet. for the kicker.

There are 2 low horse stances that I use. One is a regular side horse stance and the other is a modified horse stance. The side horse stance is more vulnerable to kicks at to the lead leg. However there are counters that can protect that lead leg. One counter will give your opponent a bad bruise on his shin, the other counter is dangerous to the opponent as it my cause the opponent to hyper extend his knee. Like always the dangerous one is the easiest one to do. I think I may know of another counter but I haven't tested it yet. Right now it's just a theory and it's not something that was taught to me. It's just a theory based of my understanding

The only thing that I would warn about is not to make the horse stance too wide. If that lead leg is too far in front, then it will be harder for you to defend that leg. The rule that I go by is that I should be able to land strong punches to or redirect the hands of, anyone that decides to grab my ankle or shin while I'm in horse stance, without reaching. If your foot is beyond your reach (without leaning) of a punch, then your horse stance is too wide.

The modified horse stance is not as vulnerable to the sweep or low leg kick. The type of horse stance that I do depends on which set of techniques I want to use. There are some techniques that work better in the side horse stance vs the modified horse stance. Mobility issues also have to be considered as well. Side horse stance moves causes one set of issues and modified horse stances cause other issues. If I was going against a grappler then I would use the modified horse stance as it's better suited for the wrestling type impacts. A side horse stance against a grappler is a losing battle for a kung fu practitioner. You can transition through a side horse stance, just don't face off in one when dealing with someone trying to take you down. The modified horse stance is the one shown in Post 69#

Ankle pick. which relys on that low stance.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm learning to be "rooted" in my stance, which I train by getting into my basic, forward-facing stance. That's not to say I would ever strike that pose in a fight. The purpose of it is to have solid structure, so that when I hit someone, I'm not getting forced back by my own attack! Doh!

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm learning to be "rooted" in my stance, which I train by getting into my basic, forward-facing stance. That's not to say I would ever strike that pose in a fight. The purpose of it is to have solid structure, so that when I hit someone, I'm not getting forced back by my own attack! Doh!
I think Wing Chun practices a low stance in their long pole form.

KabutoKouji

Green Belt
Reaction score
I mainly do it with my arms out in front in 'Embrace Moon To Chest'/pong shape, as it makes it easier for me :eek: - We did 5 minutes in class last week and 2 days after my legs could barely move :s - we did do 10 squats/up and down pumps in between each minute though.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The only thing more fun than sweeping someone in a horse stance, is sweeping someone in a horse stance who isn't used to being swept.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The only thing more fun than sweeping someone in a horse stance, is sweeping someone in a horse stance who isn't used to being swept.
The foot sweep is powerful because it's not only just foot sweep. It's shin bite, scoop, sticky lift, and sweep. It's 4 in 1.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
KFW, what's a "sticky lift"? I like that term.

Latest Discussions