Craziest thing

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I have no clue why, but when I stretch before class, my kicks are horrible,but if I do no stretching, they are better than ever. not just the form of them, the speed and power are effected. I talked to a fellow black belt instructor from our sister school and he is the same way. Is there anybody else like that?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I can say is that I was young like you, I was more like that. That has not been the case for a very long time.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Ice when I was young no problem but then came age dammit.

OP
tko4u

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
All I can say is that I was young like you, I was more like that. That has not been the case for a very long time.

but when you guys wr young, was that normal? I mean my kicks are REALLY bad if I stretch, but if I dont, then they are good. You were like that?

Loomie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not sure about you guys, but I ALWAYS stretch before doing any kicks to prevent an injury. Believe me if I could get away with not doing it I would. Couldn't tell you why your kicks are better though....

OP
tko4u

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure about you guys, but I ALWAYS stretch before doing any kicks to prevent an injury. Believe me if I could get away with not doing it I would. Couldn't tell you why your kicks are better though....

I guess I shouldnt complain, but in my ocd mind, I cant help but wonder..... WHY?

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I have no clue why, but when I stretch before class, my kicks are horrible,but if I do no stretching, they are better than ever. not just the form of them, the speed and power are effected. I talked to a fellow black belt instructor from our sister school and he is the same way. Is there anybody else like that?

Well, if Exile ever came back (where is he anyway?) he could probably tell you more, but I do know that there has been some recent research that is suggesting that stretching beforehand can actually hinder performance. I believe the study I read looked at pitchers. They actually threw faster if they had not stretched first. The idea is that the tightness in the muscles actually lead to a better stretch reflex, which basically means the muscles snap back faster. Note that stretching and warming up are not the same thing. I believe these guys threw to warm up first and then were tested on their speed, but they did not actually stretch their arms.

So are your kicks better when you don't stretch or when you don't warm up?

I don't know how old you are, but I am 25 and I already see the effects of age.... I used be just as good cold as warm, but now I have to warm up before I can throw a kick 100%... it's the first sign of my own mortality. :(

OP
tko4u

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually kick best when I warm up, but dont stretch. and I actually kick at half speed to warm up. I am 22.

Svart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When you stretch, you are relaxing the tendons and muscles hence why you may feel more sluggish. After you have a big massage or something else very relaxing, like a hot bath, you always move slowly and can feel sleepy.
If you warm up, you are getting the blood flowing. I read a great article on making sure your body is ready to train. Effectively you want to tell your body what it is about to be doing. So first get the blood going, then stretch for a second or two, move your joints, roll your hips etc etc.
Think of a piece of spagetti. When it is cold and dry, it is brittle and breaks easily. When it is cooked well and hot, it is very floppy and breaks with ease. When it is warmed though it can still bend easily, but it is at its strongest.

Stretching properly is good before you go to bed, not before training. Get your body into the right gear before training.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I used to go to kickboxing classes where we had to spend 10 minutes stretching first, but in the last 2 years I think we save the stretching for after the workouts. We were never given the reason why. Just recently at my KM class however the instructor did explain that the body gains more flexibility by stretching after a workout than right before.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You teenagers, and those in your 20s, 30s, even 40s MA practitioners enjoy your youth, capabilitlies and skill. When you get older and have all your dan ranks and belts, and your MA acknowledgements are on paper, you're gonna say I wish I still could do some of those crazy *** techs I did when I was a youngster. Life goes on...:ultracool

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I used to go to kickboxing classes where we had to spend 10 minutes stretching first, but in the last 2 years I think we save the stretching for after the workouts. We were never given the reason why. Just recently at my KM class however the instructor did explain that the body gains more flexibility by stretching after a workout than right before.

Before you work out you should warm up. A good indication will be you are breathing harder than at rest, but not gasping for breath.

You also need to loosen all your joints, especially the ones you are about to work out with.

You need to stretch your muscles, tendons and ligaments through stretching exercises that resemble the the motions of your main work out.

That is front stretch kick, side stretch kick, inside/outside kicks, outside/inside kicks and rear stretch kick. Swing your arms together then back, one up and one down alternating.

These stretches are characterized by a full range of motion starting slow then moving to your full range. They should be controlled and you should not bounce.

Static stretches are best after your workout as you are warming down. A muscle cooling down will get the most benifit from your stretching program. You can add resistence to these streches, by stretching as far as is slightly uncomfortable, have someone hold the stretch for you and you try to returne against the stretch, hold for a few seconds the relax, then immediatly go back in the stretch, you will problably be able to go a little further.

This works for improving your jump height or distance, squat and jump, squat, tense, jump, and squat, jump, you height should be higher on this last jump.

There are several good books out on stretching.

Latest Discussions