Completely new to martial arts -- questions

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm sure everybody gets bugged all the time about this, but I'm completely new to the martial arts world, and had some questions.

I'm located in Austin, TX, and I am taking some free classes at different places and have had recommendations from other people. A couple of people recommended Shaolin-Do to start off, and if I remained interested, to specialize at a different school. I'm taking a class at Jeff Hughes' Central Texas Kung Fu Exchange next week. Being that I am a 28 year old beginner, would learning the 7* mantis style be to difficult for a true beginner? Does anybody know any other good places in Austin to look? Does the 7* style suit a certain body type? I'm about 5'10" and 160 lbs w/ a small frame. Is there any other style more suited for me?

Thanks for your time in advance.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shaolin do with the deadly Sin Tie???

Classic bad film come to life

OP
CMack11

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. clfsean, I sent you an email with some off-line questions I had, I hope you don't mind.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a little biased, but I think you should check out the Kenpo schools in our area - specifically, Michael Billings' Kenpo Karate (at www.kenpo-texas.com). The website has a lot of info, but it's also best to come to the school and watch a couple of classes. One of the reasons I love Kenpo is that it is a flexible art (at least in some schools) and can be tailored to your specific body type. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or e-mail Mr. Billings [his e-mail address is on the website]. Good Luck in your search!

Sincerely,
Gin-Gin :D

C

Chicago Green Dragon

Gin-Gin said:
I'm a little biased, but I think you should check out the Kenpo schools in our area - specifically, Michael Billings' Kenpo Karate (at www.kenpo-texas.com). The website has a lot of info, but it's also best to come to the school and watch a couple of classes. One of the reasons I love Kenpo is that it is a flexible art (at least in some schools) and can be tailored to your specific body type. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or e-mail Mr. Billings [his e-mail address is on the website]. Good Luck in your search!

Sincerely,
Gin-Gin :D

Thank you Brother for suggesting this to him

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chicago Green Dragon said:
Thank you Brother for suggesting this to him

Chicago Green Dragon

:asian:

Actually, I'm a woman. Glad to hear from you CGD.

Your Kenpo Sister,
Gin-Gin :asian:

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CMack11 said:
Sorry, I'm sure everybody gets bugged all the time about this, but I'm completely new to the martial arts world, and had some questions.

I'm located in Austin, TX, and I am taking some free classes at different places and have had recommendations from other people. A couple of people recommended Shaolin-Do to start off, and if I remained interested, to specialize at a different school. I'm taking a class at Jeff Hughes' Central Texas Kung Fu Exchange next week. Being that I am a 28 year old beginner, would learning the 7* mantis style be to difficult for a true beginner? Does anybody know any other good places in Austin to look? Does the 7* style suit a certain body type? I'm about 5'10" and 160 lbs w/ a small frame. Is there any other style more suited for me?

Welcome not only to martial arts, but to Martial Talk. Its good to hear questions about martial arts, and its good to see people starting in their training. I'll let you know my bias before I give you my opinions. I'm a member of the US Kung Fu Exchange which Jeff Hughes belongs to. I know Jeff and have trained under him on various occasions. My sifu and him are good friends. That said...I would avoid that Shoalin-Do. It all depends on your goals. What are you looking to get out of martial arts? Why are you looking to train? As far as your body size, your ideal for 7*. We train beginners in martial arts all the time at our school, and many much older than yourself, so 7* would be fine for you to start in. Jeff is a great instructor with a high level of skill, he is deffinitely someone I would recommend anyone training with. I'm not that knowledgeable about Austin, but any questions you have about mantis or Sifu Hughes feel free to PM me.

7sm

R

RHD

CMack11 said:

You're on the right track already. Try the mantis out, give it 6 months to a year minimum of hard work, and then evaluate how your progress has been. It takes an average of 3 years (IMO) to become minimally proficient in most Chinese styles, so be patient. I have only heard good things about the school you mentioned, and I am a real stickler for quality instruction in kung fu. Shaolin Do however...well, let's just not go there.

Good Luck,
Mike

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
CMACK11,

-I am 5 foot 9 inches, around 155 pounds, and 24 years old. I've been trying to get myself back into the martial arts for a couple of years now. Of course there was always some excuse, like my work schedule. I work some cracked out hours doing security. But finally, just this very week, I started training in 7* Praying Mantis. Most of the students there that I've seen fit a certain look or body style, but let me tell you, its not important, not one little bit. When it comes to most styles of MAs, its the conditioning thats key to doing everything, at least physically. Some of the warm up techniques I've seen the older students do just astound me.

-What I'm trying to say is start training now. Both Mantis and Kempo are good, well rounded styles. Obviously, the more you put in to your training, the more you will get out of it. I'm annoyed at myself because I waited so long to begin, but glad its happened. Check out those places that interest you and choose the one that appeals to you the most. You can always switch schools later if you feel the need to. Let us know what you decide on.

A---)

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
RHD said:
and I am a real stickler for quality instruction in kung fu.
He's not kidding. A REAL stickler.
icon10.gif

R

RHD

flatlander said:
He's not kidding. A REAL stickler.
icon10.gif

I was hoping someone would enjoy that. :uhyeah:
I'm sure others have used more colorful terms to describe me.

OP
CMack11

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks a lot everybody, this is really great stuff. I've got a free class signed up with CTKFE on Tuesday, I'll let y'all know how it goes.

7starmantis, you asked what my goals were. I'm getting into martial arts for several reasons. It is something I have always wanted to do my entire life, but never took the plunge. I'm doing it for my health, but I also want to learn how to fight and a system I can stick with for a lifetime. So basically, I want the best of all worlds.

My whole thing w/ Shaolin-Do isn't anything against the art per se, but I just don't want to be involved with something so controversial.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CMack11 said:
Thanks a lot everybody, this is really great stuff. I've got a free class signed up with CTKFE on Tuesday, I'll let y'all know how it goes.

7starmantis, you asked what my goals were. I'm getting into martial arts for several reasons. It is something I have always wanted to do my entire life, but never took the plunge. I'm doing it for my health, but I also want to learn how to fight and a system I can stick with for a lifetime. So basically, I want the best of all worlds.

My whole thing w/ Shaolin-Do isn't anything against the art per se, but I just don't want to be involved with something so controversial.
Deffinitely let us know how it goes! Your goals are good, kung fu has been a passion of mine since I was a little kid. The health benefits of kung fu are amazing, lets widen that, the health benefits of martial arts are amazing! With sifu Hughes I can tell you this, you will definitely get in shape, and you will learn how to fight very well. I'm of course biased, but if there is any system that I think I could learn for the rest of my life and never reach a place where there is nothing left to learn it would be 7* mantis. My sigung (teachers teacher who is also sifu Hughes' teacher) has been doing mantis kung fu for over 40 years and he is the first to tell you he hasn't learned it all and could probably train for another 40 and still not finish learning. Its something you will allways be able to learn more in.

Good luck in your training and your decisions, let us know what you decide.

7sm

OP
CMack11

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I just finished my class with Sifu Hughes. WHEW! It's amazing how tired one can get after only a 30 minute class. I really liked it, though. Sifu Hughes seems very nice and very competent.

Latest Discussions