Toxic Tournament Air

T

tunetigress

Having just returned from competing at the Tiger Balm Internationals in Vancouver Canada, I'd like to bring people's attention to the topic of Indoor Air Pollution, and the affect it can have on athletes as well as the general population. I was dismayed to find that the judges were all provided with a very smelly and very toxic variety of marker to use for scoring. Having a serious respiratory disability that is exacerbated by exposure to such toxins, I was immediately aware that my physical abilities were being affected by the markers being used. Is anyone aware of any rules or guidelines in place that might influence the type of scoring pens used at tournaments? Is there anyone who has an experience or opinion regarding air quality and it's effects at the competitive level? What do you think of the idea of keeping the air at Martial Arts Training Facilities as pure and healthy as possible by encouraging the use of unscented, or naturally based products in general? I realize that chemical toxicity in our environment is a very politically based topic, and being so, I would like to focus on the HEALTH issues as relating to training and performance specifically.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi TT,

I think you are starting a foray into areas that have received very little attention in the past. I remember way back in the heyday, that would be the early 70s that people used to smoke indoors at tournaments. And although I am a smoker, I've always been, or at least, tried to be courteous to non-smokers, and always tended to think of it as simply rude.

I don't know, unless you've started a grassroots movement that I'm not aware of, that you will see much change in that aspect of the venue. After all, I quit competing in the late 70s, and when I go to the occasional tournament today, 30 years later, I still see the same problems with judging, set up and regular officiating that were attendent way back then.

It is unfortunate in many ways that things are so slow to change in the martial arts. We are, however, a culture, that is for the most part, built on tradition and with that sort of outlook, you won't see overnight changes. But I am on your side here, fwiw.
;)

Take care, and breathe well...

Dan Farmer

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That must be quite a pain in the lungs if you can smell the toxins from the markers :( However I too have smeled some markers that make a good stink, but I don't think sharpie brands smell that bad if at all. Still a bummer about your respitory problems.

:asian:

OP
T

tunetigress

Well GD , the smell of Tiger Balm does not affect me at all, since it is made from all-natural ingredients. Toxic markers, on the other hand, emit known poisonous vapours into the air that absolutely no-one deserves to be exposed to! Time to wake up and smell the toxins!

OP
T

tunetigress

BBBBBBBBacon???? Don't even THINK of getting me started on the topic of food!

OP
T

tunetigress

GD, I never HAD to take Home Ec! I'm Ukrainian. Cooking skill is genetic. :cool:

OP
K

KenpoGirl

I can cook. I just don't get a lot of practise being a bachlorette.

:p

Though You know you are right of course.
I can't cook FAST FOOD!!!! You're the only fella I know thats addicted to MSG!!!!

Sheesh, Last time I feed you Mr. Conaster. :shrug: no respect

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Did you minor in Home Ec?:)

Actually I think it was Homer Ec

Awwwwwwwww Baaacoon, Dooooonnuuuuut, Baaaaccon flaovored Doooooooooonut!

Latest Discussions