Tough toddler survives 2 days in woods

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because we all could use some good news once in a while ...

ARCADIA, Mo. – Thirsty, dirty and tired after spending two days and nights barely clothed in the wet, chilly woods of Mark Twain National Forest, 3-year-old Joshua Childers was ready to go home. .. Hundreds of volunteers from as far away as St. Louis, 100 miles to the northeast, came to help in the search. So did professional search and rescue crews from dozens of agencies. The Missouri State Highway Patrol brought in planes. The state Water Patrol brought in divers and sonar. Dozens of dogs, horses, ATVs and even donkeys scattered in the miles around the tiny home that sits along the wild, rocky terrain of the Mark Twain National Forest.
The area is home to bears, mountain lions and snakes. Heavy rain Tuesday night and Wednesday morning swelled creeks in the area.
"I don't know how he did it," Adam Childers said. "I don't know grown men that could do it. But all I can say is he's a tough little bugger."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090507/ap_on_re_us/us_missouri_child_found

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow...that is great news.

For all the stories we hear about people being selfish, thoughtless, etc...its refreshing to hear that there are still folks like Mr. Halpin and his fellow volunteers that were willing to give up their time to help someone in distress.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think there was a similar story a year or so back about another small helpless child who was saved by hanging out with some puppies until he himself also wandered home surprising everyone.
I've been on above ground searches that lasted for days (without success) of young adults or teens. It's not easy with so many odd hundreds of square miles to cover. It's the volunteers that make a difference in these searches.

If this doesn't tell you that there is someone above watching over small children nothing does. As for those who are beaten, maimed, abused, killed it was the perp's choice to do so. I believe they will have to atone for it in the next life and that's damned tough.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
These are heart warming stories. I am glad the kid survived. Being a parent myself, I can imagine the horror of having your child go missing.

OP
Flea

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MA-Caver,

There was a situation in Pennsylvania several years ago where a toddler went missing. Coincidentally, so did the family's 3 German Shepherds. Rescue workers found the boy four days later flanked by the dogs, who needed several minutes of gentle persuasion to allow the workers to approach the boy. The child was covered in dog hair, clearly indicating that they were keeping him warm at night too.

It was wonderful to read in the interview with the parents that they gave the dogs credit and thanks equal to what they gave the rescue crews. They said the dogs were spoiled before this ... but just wait!!

If there's a better illustration of the potential of the human-animal bond, I'd love to see it.

Latest Discussions