Toronto judge gives terrorist get-out-of-jail-free card

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090522/toronto_18_090522/20090522?hub=Toronto

A judge has given the first person ever convicted of helping and taking part in a terrorist organization a 2-1/2 year sentence.
However, the 21-year-old member of the so-called "Toronto 18" was freed from custody shortly after he was sentenced based on credit for time served in custody.
The young man, charged as a youth but sentenced as an adult, will have his identity protected by a temporary publication ban.
He will be under a 10-year weapons prohibition and will have to provide a DNA sample.

And, people wonder why it takes forever to legally get across the border.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think most democracies are soft on crime.

There’s more to that story, but what he got was next to nothing. Insane.

We of course have to be careful, but if you get an opportunity to prevent a crime, why not take it? Why is it always catching the offender? Yes I know thoughts are not a crime, innocent until proven guilty, but this guy participated freely in what could have been a horrific turn of events.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Time served in custody always comes off of sentences. I'm not sure why this is such an outrage.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because we are still free to have outrage over things we feel are wrong. Soon enough, that will be taxed, or outlawed.

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There's a lot more to this story than meets the eye, including discussion around the manner in which undercover officers infiltrated the small gang and encouraged their criminal activities.

Essentially, a pile of young guys who were gonna set off an explosive device. Not exactly Bin Laden.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
only in scale, not in intent. Does he deserve more mercy because he was small picture guy?

wise up

There's a lot more to this story than meets the eye, including discussion around the manner in which undercover officers infiltrated the small gang and encouraged their criminal activities.

Essentially, a pile of young guys who were gonna set off an explosive device. Not exactly Bin Laden.

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
only in scale, not in intent. Does he deserve more mercy because he was small picture guy?

wise up

I consider the subtleties of each situation much wiser than painting everything one long, dark colour.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
terrorist

what ELSE do you want to know?

So if an official utters that magic word, anything goes?
I mean, if they say it, it has to be true, no?

Additionally, depending on the exact details, 'helping / being part of a terrrrrist org' could also apply to some of the US militia groups.
Terrorist, freedom fighter, patriotic militia man... different words, same meaning. The choice of the word depends on whom your asking.

And if there is no gradation of 'badness'...
The pizza man delivering pizzas to the terrorists, is he a terrorist too?
The low level guy whose only job it is to spread pamhplets without being involved in acts of violence, is he a terrorist too?
The neighbor of the terrorist who sometimes unknowingly helps the terrorists by helping him move some stuff, just like a good friend would, is he a terrorist.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hadn't heard of that aspect of the case, JD. There was a lot of hoopla about the original arrest of the eighteen suspects. I'd be curious to know more about these other allegations. Thanks.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
terrorist ...what ELSE do you want to know?

What else? A lot. Historically, branding somebody with a scary word can be an excuse for all kinds of draconian abuse. Other scary words used in the past include, "communist", "anarchist", "unionist", "abolitionist", "heretic", "witch,"... get my point?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
So Twinnie, would you apply the same standard to all terrorists?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Time served in custody always comes off of sentences. I'm not sure why this is such an outrage.

True, and I think that's fair. BUT people have plenty of reason to be outraged by the lax sentencing in this particular case.

Do you feel they shouldn't be outraged until after somebody actually sets a bomb off and does property damage and kills several people first?

How would you feel if somebody convicted of say... trying to blow up your mother and her house for instance was released after serving "time served" because they seemed remorsful? Reality check: most criminals that are locked up are "remorsful." lol

Really? Sounds like their plan wasn't exactly to set off fire crackers...

The RCMP, working with the Canadian Security and Intelligence Service, made arrests in the summer of 2006. They also seized apparent bomb-making materials.
Police claimed the suspects planned to use three tonnes of ammonium nitrate to build truck bombs.
Some of the more stunning allegations included talk of storming Parliament, taking MPs hostage and beheading the prime minister.

So if an official utters that magic word, anything goes?
I mean, if they say it, it has to be true, no?

Additionally, depending on the exact details, 'helping / being part of a terrrrrist org' could also apply to some of the US militia groups.
Terrorist, freedom fighter, patriotic militia man... different words, same meaning. The choice of the word depends on whom your asking.

And if there is no gradation of 'badness'...
The pizza man delivering pizzas to the terrorists, is he a terrorist too?
The low level guy whose only job it is to spread pamhplets without being involved in acts of violence, is he a terrorist too?
The neighbor of the terrorist who sometimes unknowingly helps the terrorists by helping him move some stuff, just like a good friend would, is he a terrorist.

Good point. Kinda' like being called a "racist". Certain "tags" have become a bit overused due to the emotions they illicit. It's not a word that should be overused, but I think it applies in this case based on what I've read about it so far.

Latest Discussions