Today's WTH??? moment, brought to you by Yale

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24513

"Art major Aliza Shvarts '08 wants to make a statement. Beginning next Tuesday, Shvarts will be displaying her senior art project, a documentation of a nine-month process during which she artificially inseminated herself "as often as possible" while periodically taking abortifacient drugs to induce miscarriages. Her exhibition will feature video recordings of these forced miscarriages as well as preserved collections of the blood from the process."

WTH????

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok..I agree...WTH? Oh wait, Art Major. Never mind. That explains it all.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I second the WTH.

Whatever Schvarts says, this is a form of "shock art."

I think we hall have the right to choose, regardless what mainstream society feels. An American woman has as much right to her body as anyone in the US has a right to pick up a sign and protest it. In that spirit, the artist has a right express art in whatever medium as long as she's not trampling on other peoples rights.

It's no different than the BodyWorlds exhibit that walks the fine line between science and art, and she does make a statement.

But she still gets a WTH from me. I just think that's gross. It's like if I picked my nose for a year and displayed the "gold" that I mined and pawned it off as art.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a University student. Who knows WHAT's goin on with that segment of society........

We're plotting for the destruction of the very fabric of society... However, we're stopped by GI JOE.... apparently they fight for freedom whenever there's trouble.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
This will make for some very interesting conversations in the Big Mac assembly line in a few years.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another fine example of how 'Art' has lost it's way and why it is that I object to my taxes being siphoned off to pay for people to produce {self-imposed politeness filter kicks in at this point}.

Sadly, time was that Art and Sociology were about the only money-pits that higher education had; now most courses (in Britain at least) produce 'Graduates' (spits with disdain) of equivalent value. Which is why we have no engineers worth the name any more and most of the fellow professionals I interface with have English as a second or third langauge ... :grr:.

{small voice}I have a soapbox for rent here if anyone wants it ... :eek:.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not real

http://www.yale.edu/opa/

Statement by Helaine S. Klasky — Yale University, Spokesperson
New Haven, Conn. — April 17, 2008
Ms. Shvarts is engaged in performance art. Her art project includes visual representations, a press release and other narrative materials. She stated to three senior Yale University officials today, including two deans, that she did not impregnate herself and that she did not induce any miscarriages. The entire project is an art piece, a creative fiction designed to draw attention to the ambiguity surrounding form and function of a woman’s body.
She is an artist and has the right to express herself through performance art.
Had these acts been real, they would have violated basic ethical standards and raised serious mental and physical health concerns.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see your ****-wit art major and raise you one dumbass college newspaper story. My guess is that the paper was paid by the Chinese government.

daialilamacorrection.png

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a hoax, a piece of fiction.

Ms. Klasky went on to suggest that Yale would not have permitted a project of the sort described in the student newspaper. "Had these acts been real, they would have violated basic ethical standards and raised serious mental and physical health concerns."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Medically speaking it's also very unlikely there would have been anything to display if the project had been real. The only drugs she would have been able to take would have been what's known as the morning after pill which has to be taken within a certain time after intercourse usually days. It's a large dose of a contraceptive pill, the effects of which usually just cause bleeding, nothing else that you could 'see' other than blood. The side effects that it can cause which could be 'exhibited' are vomiting though so wouldn't that have been a lovely sight! Still I guess she got what she wanted....publicity!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's an old Sufi curse. And it's a really terrible one:

May the Almighty reward you exactly as you deserve.​

May the joy and elevation of the human spirit which she has caused in others be visited on her for the rest of her life. And I hope she chokes on the tears of the childless women she's hurt with her callous little stunt.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tez, there's a number of abortifacients such as cohosh, tansy and many members of the mint family which can induce abortion later in a pregnancy. There might well be visible signs beyond a smear of blood. Basic decency forbids me to say any more.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez, there's a number of abortifacients such as cohosh, tansy and many members of the mint family which can induce abortion later in a pregnancy. There might well be visible signs beyond a smear of blood. Basic decency forbids me to say any more.

They are quite hit or miss though much to the despair of women before abortion was legal. Taking them doesn't guarentee an abortion. Also to have been noticably pregnant several times and had miscarraiges several times wouldn't have gone unnoticed. The morning after pill produces more than a smear of blood which is why many campaigners wanting it stopped over here being given over the counter say it's an abortion in it's self as opposed to something that prevents pregnancy. That's not an argument I'm getting into! I do think though that this young lady would have far better been ignored by the general public!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whatever Schvarts says, this is a form of "shock art."
Had it been real, yes it would have been.

It's no different than the BodyWorlds exhibit that walks the fine line between science and art, and she does make a statement.

Ethically I cannot agree with that statement. The donors in the BodyWorlds exhibits donated their bodies to science and their deaths were inevitable. Had the miscarriage events been real, it would be created life for the sole purpose of destroying it - absolute evil.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
They are quite hit or miss though much to the despair of women before abortion was legal. Taking them doesn't guarentee an abortion. Also to have been noticably pregnant several times and had miscarraiges several times wouldn't have gone unnoticed. The morning after pill produces more than a smear of blood which is why many campaigners wanting it stopped over here being given over the counter say it's an abortion in it's self as opposed to something that prevents pregnancy. That's not an argument I'm getting into! I do think though that this young lady would have far better been ignored by the general public!
the morning after pill does not produce more them blood, it prevents the sperm egg combo from latching on to your uterus, so at most you flush out what the sperm and egg combo have managed to split and divide into in 3 days(tops). It is not an abortion, it is a higher douse of your standard birth control pill, the bleeding you get from it, is the shedding of your lining of your uterus and maybe an egg/sperm combo should one have happened.

However what this woman may have done is not that, she waited till there was a good chance it implanted and then ended it for "art" sake its sick and wrong and i hope Karma is real cus im sure its not smiling right now

Latest Discussions