Today's workout - Arm is for offense and pain. Waist is for power and speed.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had a light workout today. My son had a good workout. He trained until his arms were bruised. We used some techniques as exercises to help generate power and speed with the waist using the staff. I didn't realize how many different exercises that I actually use until today. I can almost write a book on it. We spent about 2 hours training first working staff exercises for the waist. We ten moved in one of my favorite techniques. It's a simple movement but it's like multi-tool technique. I haven't decided if I'm going to teach that technique on day one or week 5. or month 7. I've forgotten just how long it actually takes to teach some techniques in Kung Fu.. My son toughed it out and his arms got punished, but it was a good conditioning for him. Now the healing time begins. Tomorrow we destroy the legs lol.

As for my training. I'm getting stronger. I'm still not anywhere near 100% , but I'm getting there. I"m going to turn our 2 dedicated healing days into a dedicated stretch / flexibility / relaxation day. Will be buying a massage gun this weekend as well to go with those days. My back is getting stronger as well. I looked in the mirror today and my face looks thinner, but I'll consult the scaled to see if the mirror is lying.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey JowGaWolf, You may have mentioned it somewhere but I didn't see it. What's your training schedule like on a per week basis ? I have a day job so I can only train before and after work. I am fortunate to have an understanding wife that has allowed me to train 6 out of 7 days but I will be moving to 5 out of 7 for the summer. Maybe look at doing more morning workouts but that means I will have to do some doubles. Not a bad thing mind you but I want to stay injury free. In any event, what's your schedule like ?

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I had a light workout today. My son had a good workout. He trained until his arms were bruised. We used some techniques as exercises to help generate power and speed with the waist using the staff. I didn't realize how many different exercises that I actually use until today. I can almost write a book on it. We spent about 2 hours training first working staff exercises for the waist. We ten moved in one of my favorite techniques. It's a simple movement but it's like multi-tool technique. I haven't decided if I'm going to teach that technique on day one or week 5. or month 7. I've forgotten just how long it actually takes to teach some techniques in Kung Fu.. My son toughed it out and his arms got punished, but it was a good conditioning for him. Now the healing time begins. Tomorrow we destroy the legs lol.

As for my training. I'm getting stronger. I'm still not anywhere near 100% , but I'm getting there. I"m going to turn our 2 dedicated healing days into a dedicated stretch / flexibility / relaxation day. Will be buying a massage gun this weekend as well to go with those days. My back is getting stronger as well. I looked in the mirror today and my face looks thinner, but I'll consult the scaled to see if the mirror is lying
Staff work is excellent exercise for the waist (and shoulders, too) especially if you use a heavy one to train forms with - makes your regular one lighter and faster. There are so many exercises you can do with a heavy staff to strengthen your torso and arms. Good luck on your way to 100% (well, 99% for old guys.) Sounds like a good idea to vary your training. Just do something active every day!

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey JowGaWolf, You may have mentioned it somewhere but I didn't see it. What's your training schedule like on a per week basis ? I have a day job so I can only train before and after work. I am fortunate to have an understanding wife that has allowed me to train 6 out of 7 days but I will be moving to 5 out of 7 for the summer. Maybe look at doing more morning workouts but that means I will have to do some doubles. Not a bad thing mind you but I want to stay injury free. In any event, what's your schedule like ?
once a day 5 days a week after work, if the weather permits. I'm going to try to change it to 2 times a day Morning and Evening. Early morning will be stretching and light work. Evening will be the serious stuff. But that's a ways out I think. I have to get my sleep habits better. I need to do more stretching than I do so I'm thinking mornings will be a good fit and a good way to start the day.

Right now my evening times are 5pm or 6pm depending on the time I get off of work (for an hour.) Mornings will be an hour as well. Probably a 5am workout time for an hour and a 7am work time. That gives me an hour get ready without rushing. I think a morning session and an evening session is going to be my best choice, since I get a break between both sessions. I'm thinking I'll start the morning session next month.

Staff work is excellent exercise for the waist (and shoulders, too) especially if you use a heavy one to train forms with - makes your regular one lighter and faster.
Yep I like training with a heavy staff and iron rings. When I work on my staff techniques and applications. I've noticed that I've gotten stronger with the heavy staff which means my waist is getting stronger. Yeah 99% is about right. Maybe 90%. lol I'll find out before the year is out. I just have to stay injury free. The majority of the injuries that I've had are 90% non kung fu training related injury. I gotta do better in that area. I need to stop doing yard work and lifting soil bags like I have a 20 year old back.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
once a day 5 days a week after work, if the weather permits. I'm going to try to change it to 2 times a day Morning and Evening. Early morning will be stretching and light work. Evening will be the serious stuff. But that's a ways out I think. I have to get my sleep habits better. I need to do more stretching than I do so I'm thinking mornings will be a good fit and a good way to start the day.

Right now my evening times are 5pm or 6pm depending on the time I get off of work (for an hour.) Mornings will be an hour as well. Probably a 5am workout time for an hour and a 7am work time. That gives me an hour get ready without rushing. I think a morning session and an evening session is going to be my best choice, since I get a break between both sessions. I'm thinking I'll start the morning session next month.

Yep I like training with a heavy staff and iron rings. When I work on my staff techniques and applications. I've noticed that I've gotten stronger with the heavy staff which means my waist is getting stronger. Yeah 99% is about right. Maybe 90%. lol I'll find out before the year is out. I just have to stay injury free. The majority of the injuries that I've had are 90% non kung fu training related injury. I gotta do better in that area. I need to stop doing yard work and lifting soil bags like I have a 20 year old back.
Ok, no rest for the wicked, I see ;). Good on ya. So you are looking to go up to 10 hours if possible doing 5 doubles. Are you training for anything or is it just to......train ?

Currently I only have 1 double and that is on Monday. My other morning is on a Friday. In the morning I do tabatas. At night I am teaching Kyokushin classes. Off days are fitness classes (cardio, movement and kettlebell mostly) but that is also when I do the most stretching. Not only is stretching great for me as an older athlete but the much younger students in that class are now starting to appreciate the value of stretching as our training time and intensity grows (ie: They see the difference when they finish a workout with stretching compared to other classes that spent little to no time on stretching.)

In any event, I appreciate you sharing your schedule and if you wouldn't mind fleshing it out so I can have an idea on how your training time is allocated, I think I will be able to better understand your methodology. I always find it fascinating to see how other folks are putting their time in when it comes to training.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
10 hours if possible doing 5 doubles. Are you training for anything or is it just to......train ?
10 hours a week was normal for me back when I taught Kung Fu. I want to get back to those levels being that I'll be teaching again. But it's mainly for my health. I've been overweight and inactive long enough. The teaching part is a bonus.

n any event, I appreciate you sharing your schedule and if you wouldn't mind fleshing it out so I can have an idea on how your training time is allocated, I think I will be able to better understand your methodology. I always find it fascinating to see how other folks are putting their time when it comes to training.
I'll share it once I flesh it out. My son personally requested more stretching and flexibility. I was shocked. He used to be so neutral when came to training. I literally thought he had no interest in it. He's got a light of talent for it, but I thought it just wasn't his thing. But now I'm glad he enjoys it on his own now. It's one of the things I hope to leave be able to pass on to my kids, and mybe my nephew who is interested in fighting in MMA.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Currently I only have 1 double and that is on Monday. My other morning is on a Friday. In the morning I do tabatas. At night I am teaching Kyokushin classes. Off days are fitness classes (cardio, movement and kettlebell mostly) but that is also when I do the most stretching. Not only is stretching great for me as an older athlete but the much younger students in that class are now starting to appreciate the value of stretching as our training time and intensity grows (ie: They see the difference when they finish a workout with stretching compared to other classes that spent little to no time on stretching.)

In any event, I appreciate you sharing your schedule and if you wouldn't mind fleshing it out so I can have an idea on how your training time is allocated, I think I will be able to better understand your methodology. I always find it fascinating to see how other folks are putting their time in when it comes to training.

Nice. I also love seeing people's training schedules too, how they structure it, how frequent and long, what they're emphasising at the moment etc, gives alot of great ideas! Mine has certainly evolved a LOT over time, and it definitely reflects what I'm valuing as a whole in life, and what I'm looking for and exploring in my training.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A word of caution on having multiple training sessions per day. I used to do that, sometimes as many as three in one day. It can lead to burnout and it can wear you down so you start getting sick more frequently. So keep your eyes open for that kind of thing.

sustainable moderation is better in the long run, than super high intensity that can’t be maintained.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A word of caution on having multiple training sessions per day. I used to do that, sometimes as many as three in one day. It can lead to burnout and it can wear you down so you start getting sick more frequently. So keep your eyes open for that kind of thing.

sustainable moderation is better in the long run, than super high intensity that can’t be maintained.
I agree that it’s not a good idea to jump into doubles right away. However, if your pathway leads onward and upward then an increase in time training is a logical result of pushing our limits. At least initially when gains can be had with more sweat equity, doubles are a way to get more when time is available.

The body is also a wonderful machine that can accommodate higher workloads as it strengthens. Surely if you are exhibiting negative effects from doubles you are pushing beyond its current capabilities so by all means listen to what it’s saying.

Train hard, train longer and be smarter. The less injuries you have the more you can spend time on the floor.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree that it’s not a good idea to jump into doubles right away. However, if your pathway leads onward and upward then an increase in time training is a logical result of pushing our limits. At least initially when gains can be had with more sweat equity, doubles are a way to get more when time is available.

The body is also a wonderful machine that can accommodate higher workloads as it strengthens. Surely if you are exhibiting negative effects from doubles you are pushing beyond its current capabilities so by all means listen to what it’s saying.

Train hard, train longer and be smarter. The less injuries you have the more you can spend time on the floor.
Full agreement here. But it is easy to keep adding a bit here and adding a bit there and suddenly you realize your training has taken over your life and you are exhausted and even stressed out by it. So I’m just expressing a word of caution. Your training should serve you. You should not serve your training.

Latest Discussions