To the guy who doesn't wash his uniform every time

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you're that guy, please wash your uniform after each class. If you haven't been doing so and have big yellow armpit stains, please buy a new uniform .

(I've heard many different masters tell students to wash their uniforms each time, but somehow, there are always people who don't).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nothing worse than a raunchy gi. But because of busy schedules, taking care of families and the hectic pace of life in general, sometimes you just don't have the time - if you're a serious student, you have to have more than one gi. You just have to.

Or you are SO going to get your ash whooped.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pour Full strength detergent on the stain before throwing it in the washer.
For officials, the same applies if you are going to a multi day event. Unless you can wash the shirt each evening, pack one for each day.

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
I go to class 6 days a week, so no thanks to doing laundry every single day! I'd never get to sleep. I do wear a shirt and compression shorts under my uniform every time though, and those don't get worn more than once without washing haha. Since I got my staff uniform which is much better quality than my student ones I just wear it every day and wash every 2-3 days. I'm tempted to order another one but I'd hate to spend $$$ on uniforms when I will be replacing them all with black v-neck ones when I get my black belt. Even student ones cost $50 each, and now I'm spoiled by the higher quality staff uniform. Though I am drooling over the Vision Revolution my sabumnim just got. I kind of need that...but $150, yikes.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are guys who stink every time they sweat, and there are guys who don't. Diet, maybe? Genetic? I don't know.

And then there are guys who shove their gi into their bag and keep it there until next class, and guys who air it out and don't really smell all that much.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you don't wash the uniform, you'll be practicing the ancient art of watafumo. :)

I remember a short humorous article in Black Belt Magazine back in the 60s that someone wrote about rediscovering the art of watafumo. Never wash the uniform or your body. If you kick someone in the head and miss, the stench of your foot passing under the nostrils will cause them to pass out, that sort of thing.

Latest Discussions