To obnoxious smart phone users

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can we not just get the law changed so bad mannered mobile users get their phone privileges revoked? Say with a good, healthy, dose of x-rays? Or maybe devices installed in public places that overload the microwave antenna?

Can you tell I loathe people who behave as if they are the only people in the world when they are on a mobile phone? The devices have their uses but boy they are pretty much top of the list when it comes to "Things which should have not been invented".

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I feel your pain... I have to support them...but what I really want to do is chuck them all in the Hudson river...with associated user

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Most of the reminders on the site aren't specific to smart phones.

What I think is interesting about this topic is that there is much of it that is generational. Older generations, who can remember way back to the early 90s, when only super rich people or spies had cell phones, tend to get a lot more worked up about cell phone "etiquette" than younger people. My opinion is that there are some things that are rude, and some things that older people are just crotchety about and should just get over.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Most of the reminders on the site aren't specific to smart phones.

What I think is interesting about this topic is that there is much of it that is generational. Older generations, who can remember way back to the early 90s, when only super rich people or spies had cell phones, tend to get a lot more worked up about cell phone "etiquette" than younger people. My opinion is that there are some things that are rude, and some things that older people are just crotchety about and should just get over.

Your response does not surprise me for some reason

I can just as easily say that as young people get older they too will eventually realize it is rude but they need a bit more maturity and experience and of course they really need to get over themselves…been there done that…blamed the older folks…and you know what I found….many of those times they were right….and yes it is really hard to admit that

However if you are having an issue with your smart phone and come to my desk to talk to me about it and then tell me to wait while you deal with a text…you too would then be on the short list for those I want to see flung, with phone, in the Hudson and then you too will know why I feel a trebuchet is necessary for many PC/Smart phone support issues :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Let me try to be more clear. There are some things that are absolutely rude. There are some things related to cell phones that are dangerous. Then there are some things that old people just don't like.

Here's an example. I'm talking in a restaurant. If I'm in a restaurant with you and we're talking, it's okay. If I'm in a restaurant with you, and I'm talking on my cell phone, it's not okay. I get that. But if I'm in a restaurant by myself and I'm talking on the phone, I don't see a problem. The only difference is that you can't eavesdrop on the entire conversation. But many people suggest that this is also rude. I disagree. You just don't like it, but personally, I think it's rude that you're listening to my conversation in the first place. :)

Same goes in an elevator. If I'm having a conversation with you in an elevator, most people wouldn't consider it rude. What's the difference between that and my speaking to someone on a phone?

Of course, all of the same rules of etiquette would apply to the nature of the conversations. In other words, the nature and tone of the conversation should be appropriate.

And to be clear, I'm of the older generation. And in many ways, I'm plenty crotchety.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Let me try to be more clear. There are some things that are absolutely rude. There are some things related to cell phones that are dangerous. Then there are some things that old people just don't like.

Here's an example. I'm talking in a restaurant. If I'm in a restaurant with you and we're talking, it's okay. If I'm in a restaurant with you, and I'm talking on my cell phone, it's not okay. I get that. But if I'm in a restaurant by myself and I'm talking on the phone, I don't see a problem. The only difference is that you can't eavesdrop on the entire conversation. But many people suggest that this is also rude.

Same goes in an elevator. If I'm having a conversation with you in an elevator, most people wouldn't consider it rude. What's the difference between that and my speaking to someone on a phone.

Of course, all of the same rules of etiquette would apply to the nature of the conversations. In other words, the nature and tone of the conversation should be appropriate.

And to be clear, I'm of the older generation. And in many ways, I'm plenty crotchety.

Yeah I'm ok with that...but don't forget...you have been warned..... I am REAL close to the Hudson and I have a trebuchet and I'm NOT afraid to use it :uhyeah:

I think the elevator poster has more to do with content anyway...

now if you don't mind I have to get mey cane and go accross the street for a cup of tea...... dang kids today..... ain't no talkin' to em' :D

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
older people are just crotchety about and should just get over.

I have a katana that disagrees with you :p. I have enough in the world to 'get over' without putting up with arses on mobile phones who think that what they have to say is so damned important it has to be said right now.

Not directed at you Steve but such people should shut the **** up and wait until they have a bit of privacy before sharing their vacuous thoughts with the world at large.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is what such people seem like to the rest of properly social humanity:

[yt]HCgYDsuR2xs[/yt]

[yt]7p2b0XnJHv0[/yt]

[yt]uF65ONDupaA[/yt]

Death is too good for them.

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A story of championing the cause :D so there was two friends of mine driving together while he was driving and talking my other friend decided she was going to text every few seconds to another friend of her's. Well my friend driving hates, phones and texting, so he asked her to stop she was being rude...she kept doing it... so he told her to get out and drove off lol... he did come back and get her but he made her wait 10 or 15 mins lol.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nature of IT/telecom means I have occasionally been an etiquette offender when I didn't want to be.

Tonight I was out with my girlfriends and took a call. We were all sitting at a table when I got the call. There were certain times I would say something, and they would look at me as if I was addressing them (I wasn't). Plus me talking with my colleague took away made it a bit noiser as rather than having us sitting together and talking amongst ourselves about whatever it was we felt like talking about they were trying to have their casual conversation against me walking someone through troubleshooting an IP routing issue. I ended up stepping in to a back hallway to finish my conversation. I didn't want to be interjecting my on-call BS in to their night out. I also don't like how many times I talk louder on the phone than I would to the person next to me.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nature of IT/telecom means I have occasionally been an etiquette offender when I didn't want to be.

Tonight I was out with my girlfriends and took a call. We were all sitting at a table when I got the call. There were certain times I would say something, and they would look at me as if I was addressing them (I wasn't). Plus me talking with my colleague took away made it a bit noiser as rather than having us sitting together and talking amongst ourselves about whatever it was we felt like talking about they were trying to have their casual conversation against me walking someone through troubleshooting an IP routing issue. I ended up stepping in to a back hallway to finish my conversation. I didn't want to be interjecting my on-call BS in to their night out. I also don't like how many times I talk louder on the phone than I would to the person next to me.

This is exactly one of the BIG reasons why I have threatened to skip any phone the give me across the Hudson like the guy did the beeper in the Corona commercial. And so far it has worked but I have heard my name and various smart phones thrown about of late so sooner or later they will give me one...which, of course, will find its way to the Hudson:EG:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I guess I'm weird. Generally, if I'm in a group, and I get a call and if take it -- I step away. At home, I answer my cell, and I go to another room if my wife's in there. (She doesn't do this...) Hearing half a call is annoying -- and often, it's not anybody else's business in the first place. When we grab lunch at work, I may text briefly, or even check the news or email, but if we're actually talking, not just eating -- then it waits.

When I'm with someone -- I'm with them. Not someone on the other end of the phone.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I'm weird. Generally, if I'm in a group, and I get a call and if take it -- I step away. At home, I answer my cell, and I go to another room if my wife's in there. (She doesn't do this...) Hearing half a call is annoying -- and often, it's not anybody else's business in the first place. When we grab lunch at work, I may text briefly, or even check the news or email, but if we're actually talking, not just eating -- then it waits.

When I'm with someone -- I'm with them. Not someone on the other end of the phone.

No you're not weird. I would have stepped away from the very beginning tonight had my phone had enough charge.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No you're not weird. I would have stepped away from the very beginning tonight had my phone had enough charge.

That's always a challenge...

But I see enough people who don't do it -- or who spend the whole meal texting away with others -- that I'm kind of coming to the conclusion that I am weird...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, most people I encounter have no conversation in the elevator.

back in the day, phones were in a private area, tethered to the wall. And I think it was not a bad thing (at least i had a cord I could follow from the wall to the phone...)

I understand that cashiers are considered 'non persons' but sheesh, the many times I see people have that thing in their hand while checking out....it IS rude.

Most people do talk quiet loud on the phone, and seriously, the reception with the fancy smart phones is often not very good, or the sound quality...you have to speak loud.

if you are in an open area, as bystander you can walk away. In an elevator? Train? tough luck!

However, I am a cell phone hater. I have the 10 dollar tracfone special, it makes calls, it even texts, for those moment s when I know my conversation partner is in a place where talking is not an option.

but it has become so bad that when you have a bunch of people in a room, they don't even talk to each other, but text and talk on the phones...what's the point?!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Older people may find younger people rude when on the mobile but older people have a whole load of rudeness all on their own. A lot of the reason that younger people are rude is because their are following their elder's example.
I don't find mobile phones annoying other than I can't hear both sides of the conversation lol and have to make up in my head the other half which can be amusing.

Latest Discussions