To compete or not to compete

L

Little_Shoto

I need some guidance here ...

My school is sponsoring a tournament in Feb. When I first learned of the tournament, I was quite excited about competing.

Now I'm not so sure.

I initially started training in karate for physical training/sport purposes. Lately, I have really gotten very interested in the "spiritual/philospohical" aspect of it. I have also been studying a lot of the history of it as well.

I find myself torn between competing and not competing.

Why?

It's hard to put this into words, but I don't feel that I will benefit spiritually from the tournament. I do not feel that it follows the true spirit of Karate ...or my own "spirit" just isn't ready for it. Physically, I know that I'd be okay with competeing ....

I also feel a very strong pull to compete because my school is sponsoring it. If I do not compete, I feel that I might be letting my sensei and my fellow students down.

Any ideas?

OP
J

JDenz

Well I am all for competeing and I am the first one to say everyone should compete but wheather or not you do you shouldn't feel like you have to because it is your school. Your sensi shouldn't put prussure on you.

OP
M

MountainSage

Lil' shoto, I went into WTF TKD not intending to compete at any point. I am required to at least participate in two tournaments in forms, but no requirement to spar in tournaments. Follow your heart, it will show you the correct path. We forget that one of the main points of training in MA is to find the path, not be shown the path, we should be given the general direction and look for the path to our own destination. I haven't competitvely sparred and will not. They clean up the judging in WTF and I might consider giving it a try.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IMHO you need to do what's best for you. Be strong and don't be pressured into something that you're not comfortable with, or don't wish to do. If it's not competing than so be it.

Me personally, I get so pumped up when tourney time comes around. I get such a rush and "KICK" when entering and competing in tournaments, but, I also understand that some other MAs might not find this aspect of the martial arts very appealing.

Look, just go ahead and make your decision. If you don't want to compete then don't. One way or another, stand by your decision and don't look back. People at your dojo/dojang may not like it, but, at least they should respect your final choice. This is just my humble take, good luck... :asian:

OP
J

JDenz

Ya I go to every tournament that I can afford in grappling and have done Usjjf which is like point sparring and Judo. I love competing.

OP
C

Cain

I feel competing is a good way to learn, u get to know the different types of fighter, some looneys some phychopaths :D I think it's good for experience, you should'nt completely ignore tham by the way. but if u don't want to do it then don't force urself into doing it, all I wanted to say is that it will be a good experience for you.

|Cain|

OP
T

TkdWarrior

welcome to the boards cain :)
competition is good to hav fun...but if start taking competition seriously then u hav problems on ur hand...
someone already said "follow ur heart"
-TkdWarrior-

OP
J

JDenz

lol well if you are competeing I hope you take it seriously

OP
O

Old Warrior

"My school is sponsoring a tournament in Feb. When I first learned of the tournament, I was quite excited about competing.

Now I'm not so sure."

You ask an excellent question. I'm 54 and have raised 3 children. I don't think your question has anything to do with martial arts. Although I have been fairly successful, I come from a poor family and I made sure my children wanted for nothing. In other words - I spoiled them and they are "soft" people. They all shy away from confrontation because its unpleasant. Unfortunately, life doesn't always allow one to avoid confrontation and some of us have prepared ourselves to be able to successfully deal with whatever comes along by studying martial arts.

Aside from military and martial arts training I have been a practicing lawyer for 30 years. I have spent my life avoiding confrontation. But, when it comes my way I am prepared to do whatever it takes to survive and to advance my clients' interests. I do not lose my head when the world around me is in turmoil. The only way to know how you will react in a crisis - is to have been in one and survived.

If you want to pass on "competition" for philosophical or other good reasons - fine. But, if you want to avoid it because of fear of failure - I would suggest you force yourself to attend and then take a careful personal inventory of your performance. There is immense value to knowing that you measure up in a crisis. And if you don't do as well as you hoped - there is a renewed reason to train harder until you reach the desired result.

OP
C

Cain

Originally posted by TkdWarrior
welcome to the boards cain :)
competition is good to hav fun...but if start taking competition seriously then u hav problems on ur hand...
someone already said "follow ur heart"
-TkdWarrior-

Tkdwarrior????? Are you who I think you are????? :eek: :eek:

By the way nope I am not too heavily into tourneys, I personally take it as a good experience, I don't think I see tourneys as competetions if ya know wat I mean........

|Cain|

OP
L

Little_Shoto

Thanks for the responses all.

Like I said, it not a matter of not being physically prepared. I grew up fighting, so the idea of getting kicked in the head the problem. I was also in the Marine Corps for 8 years. If it comes down to where I have to fight, I know I can get this old 6'2" 220 lb frame of mine moving ...it may not be karate though since I'm such a noob at this. :)

My aversion to the tournament is purely philosophical. I am begging to see that karate is not a sport, but a lifestyle....like the dojo kun says, Seek Perfection. Perfection can mean many different things to different people. To some, it may mean being the perfect fighter. To me, it means perecting ones character....

*shrug* confusion confusion :)

OP
T

TkdWarrior

u must hav heard this when ppl talk about self defense "the bigger they r the harder they fall" but i think it's not much true
! average bigger person is always powerfull than smaller person...
! average bigger person is always powerfull than little trained smaller person...
! a very good trained smaller person will hav good chance of getting bigger person...

so i think if u wanna enjoy competition then do it so... but remembering that there is big gap divinding the sports n reality...
being a marine guy must be advantage to ur side...
i can understand that "karate is not a sport" but if it's a lifestyle..don't u think u should enjoy to the fullest?...

Tkdwarrior????? Are you who I think you are????? :eek: :eek:
Surprise :) :D
-TkdWarrior-

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Little_Shoto

*shrug* confusion confusion :)

I would say it's not the tournament that's the issue here.

It's a question about your frame of mind. Are you going into this thinking about losing or winning? Or are you doing it to learn?
Even if you have fought the whole of your life, this is something you havn't tried, and therefor you just might learn something.

"Karate" is only a sport if your let it be it.

/Yari

OP
C

Cain

Originally posted by Yari
It's a question about your frame of mind. Are you going into this thinking about losing or winning? Or are you doing it to learn?
Even if you have fought the whole of your life, this is something you havn't tried, and therefor you just might learn something.

"Karate" is only a sport if your let it be it.

/Yari

Absolutely I second with that, nice words.

|Cain|

OP
L

Little_Shoto

"It's a question about your frame of mind. Are you going into this thinking about losing or winning? Or are you doing it to learn?
Even if you have fought the whole of your life, this is something you havn't tried, and therefor you just might learn something."

I guess my thought process now is that to enter a tournament would trivialize the path that I have chosen.

I'm not saying that I will feel this way next week ...it's just how I am feeling now.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess my thought process now is that to enter a tournament would trivialize the path that I have chosen.

Your the one with the doubt, so the problem is your thoughts about this. Drop the thoughts, find out what you want and do it.

You might change your mind later, and that's OK. But do what you want.

/Yari

OP
R

RyuShiKan

..........I initially started training in karate for physical training/sport purposes. Lately, I have really gotten very interested in the "spiritual/philospohical" aspect of it. I have also been studying a lot of the history of it as well.............
It's hard to put this into words, but I don't feel that I will benefit spiritually from the tournament. I do not feel that it follows the true spirit of Karate ...or my own "spirit" just isn't ready for it. Physically, I know that I'd be okay with competeing ....

I say go ahead and compete. Competition is good for several reasons......1) it makes you work under pressure in much the same way a "real" encounter might but to a lesser degree......2) it is something to aim for train for and complete.

However, don't be fooled into thinking tournaments or the techniques used in them are "REAL". Some techniques from sport overlap into the techniques used for "real" situations but not entirely...............some sport techniques I would never do in the real world.

As for the "spiritual/philosophical" aspect of it..........train and you will get all of that with out thinking too much about it.........in fact I wouldn't think too much about. I have noticed folks that dwell too much on that side of their art and the historical stuff tend to lack in the skill department.

Musashi said: "The "Way" is in training"

“we're surrounded….that simplifies our situation”
Lt. Gen. Lewis “Chesty” Puller, USMC

OP
M

Mon Mon

I would follow your heart but think of this

By: Maasaki Hatumi Grandmaster of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

If you compete in competitions dose that nessaryily make you strong? And Is winning a good thing?

The point is the true spirit of the art is more important than the competitions or the tropheys its about growing and learning. And Competitions is not "The Way" in true martial arts.

OP
J

JDenz

I think you should do it. The more I relieze you should do it. I think you would know if it went agianst what you believe in. I mean if it did you wouldn't have to ask people what to do. Sounds kinda like the jiters.

OP
Y

yilisifu

I must agree with Old Warrior, having spent better than four decades in martial arts.

I understand your hesitation. I would say that you should do it so as to support your school, but be aware that sport karate is not the real thing. However, you will also be afforded the opportunity to meet many new and interesting people. It will also be a good experince for "rounding out" your martial arts education.

Latest Discussions