TKD symbol

Hithran

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I don't practice TKD but I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is a certain symbol that represents TKD the most? I'm planning on having whatever that would be sewn into a present I am plannin to give to a friend.

A picture would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends what style of TKD you practice:

For WTF/KKW I'd say as NewGuy has said.

For ITF/Ch'ang Hon Id say a Fist

For general, catch all styles.. Id say a kicker (usually a turning kick as they are different from Karates roudhouse kicks in posture)

Stuart

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would agree with the Korean flag as the most iconic symbol of WTF Taekwondo. World Taekwondo and the ROK have synergized themselves so much that the Korean flag has almost come to represent Taekwondo itself. No other Korean art has done that.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Korean flag works well, although there are many other Korean arts.

Another idea is to use the Hangul words for Tae Kwon Do.

태권도

You can probably find much prettier versions of this on TKD sites.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flying sidekick I see often.

If they have a kwan background that you know of, maybe a kwan symbol (I know Jidokwan uses a particular symbol...not sure about some others...)

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Chungdokwan uses the Um/Yang symbol. Only style I can think of that uses a philosophical symbol, predating the Korean flag BTW.

Jidokwan uses the black figure eight symbol and is directly derived from one of the karate schools.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like the flying sidekick profile and the hangul. Perhaps the two combined? If he does WTF taekwondo, there's also the WTF patch. If you go to karatedepot.com, they have a selection of patches with quite a few taekwondo patches.

Daniel

kittybreed

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'd probably google "taekwondo" using google images to find something artistic that fits your project.

Latest Discussions