TKD Sparring Tips

T

TKDman

Hi, I am new to this forum but not a stranger to Martial arts forums or Martial arts...... I would like anyone and everyone to post links or personal tips about TKD sparring below. Traditional TKD sparring or Point Sparring are both preferred... please tell me what type of sparring it is before you post your strategy. Here are some Basic Sparring tip sites i have collected in the past:

http://members.tripod.com/martial_arts_tips/
http://www.turtlepress.com/ffba.html

Thanks for help.

OP
M

MartialArtist

My personal tip is footwork. Speed, agility, timing, distance judging, setting up offense/defense, basically your whole success has something to do with footwork. That doesn't mean go around in circles while the other guy isn't doing anything. But confuse your opponents and use various footwork. You'd be surprised how much successful you'll be if you sidestep first then counter-attack instead of doing a normal counter-attack. Or, you can go to one side and if you're fast enough, you will see an opening.

Don't fight in a straight line. Circular, side-to-side, front/back, different angles of all types.

OP
D

DJDragon

Some of the combos are pretty cool. But can some one tell me what a turn-back kick is? I'm not familiar with the name.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by DJDragon

Some of the combos are pretty cool. But can some one tell me what a turn-back kick is? I'm not familiar with the name.
What Damian said. It's pretty hard to learn at first to get fast and good at it nonetheless accurate but once you get the basics of it, it is a very effective attack. I get more power with it than just a regular side kick. In the '90s, it was a popular counter-attack for sport-style TKD and that you aren't as exposed as if you throw a pushing kick as parts of your back are showing. In combat sparring however, the chances to use it aren't there, but I have used it a lot of times. The only drawback with my back kick is that I turn my head for a split second.