TKD Coming Out More and More

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
More and more MMA fighters stating that TKD is there base. You always see Karate or Kickboxing as an MMA persons style but when I watch them it looks like TKD to me. And so far it has been the case more than not. Here's another one.

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
There was a time when the traditional arts were considered useless in MMA. I think it just took a while for the fighters to figure out how to incorporate some Karate/TKD techniques in their arsenal without compromising themselves. Lyoto Michida (sp), Anthony Pettis, and Cung Le have all shown that traditional martial arts can be used and can be effective.

The most important thing is the application of the technique, not the technique itself.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With a TKD school on about every corner here in the USA I can understand why people could say that TKD is the base system that they studied.
It dose teach great kicks that can be supplemented with boxing, grappling, BJJ or whatever for a mma match

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
TKD is the most practiced MA around the world, loved by zillions hated for some the fact is that TKD is a good MA so lets maintain the traditions.

Manny

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The UFC and their "Fight Pass" network made some deal with USA Taekwondo a few months ago to show USAT events on Fight Pass. This video with Anthony Pettis is the first step in that process. I'm not sure, but I believe USA Judo is also a part of that agreement.

Reactions: ATC

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Speaking of hybrid- and mixed-martial arts...

I was in the library a few days ago and I ran across this book http://www.amazon.com/Way-Warrior-Martial-Fighting-Styles/dp/0756639751

Perusing the book, it was interesting to see how many hybrid martial arts formally incorporate parts of taekwondo into their art. Specifically, it seems to me that when modern martial artists set-out to develop a new martial art, they often take their kicking-style from taekwondo. Some examples from that book:
  • Gwon Gyokdo (1970s) - aka, Kun Gek Do, Kuk Too Ki, or Korean Kickboxing; combines taekwondo and muay thai.
  • Han Moo Do (1989) - Scandinavian martial art that combines taekwondo, hapkido, and hoi jeon moo sool.
  • Han Mu Do (1990) - Korean martial art that combines taekwondo and hapkido.
  • Teukgong Moosool (1960s) - Korean martial art that combines elements of taekwondo, hapkido, judo, kyuk too ki, and Chinese martial arts.
  • Yongmudo (1999) - developed at Korea's Yong-In University, combines taekwondo, hapkido, judo, and ssireum
Looking through that book made me appreciate how unique the head-height and spinning kicks of taekwondo are.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a time when the traditional arts were considered useless in MMA. I think it just took a while for the fighters to figure out how to incorporate some Karate/TKD techniques in their arsenal without compromising themselves. Lyoto Michida (sp), Anthony Pettis, and Cung Le have all shown that traditional martial arts can be used and can be effective.

The most important thing is the application of the technique, not the technique itself.

I'm not sure who considered TMAs useless, not many who actually know MMA I suspect. The simple thing is that MMA is made up of TMAs. Many fighters have actually come from TMAs like karate, TKD, Judo etc. It is only now that people are training MMA as a whole without having a 'base art'. I don't think it has taken fighters a while to use karate and TKD techniques, they have always been there from the beginning. The problem is I think that people expect fighters to use each technique separately rather than seamlessly joining them all together. I think they would like to sit and watch being able to spot each technique by style.
'Fight Pass' is also showing fights from Cage Rage and UCMMA where many of the fighters can be seen using karate and TKD techniques.

Thousand Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure who considered TMAs useless, not many who actually know MMA I suspect. The simple thing is that MMA is made up of TMAs. Many fighters have actually come from TMAs like karate, TKD, Judo etc. It is only now that people are training MMA as a whole without having a 'base art'. I don't think it has taken fighters a while to use karate and TKD techniques, they have always been there from the beginning. The problem is I think that people expect fighters to use each technique separately rather than seamlessly joining them all together. I think they would like to sit and watch being able to spot each technique by style.
'Fight Pass' is also showing fights from Cage Rage and UCMMA where many of the fighters can be seen using karate and TKD techniques.

I didn't say TMAs are useless, I said there was a time (early 90's to late 90's) when they were considered useless. When we say MMA what we are actually refering to is a combination of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Boxing, Muay Thai, and wrestling.

If you already have a grappling background and want to become an MMA fighter, they aren't going to teach you TKD. They will teach you boxing and Muay Thai as your striking style.

Unfortunately, we can blame olympic style TKD and sport Karate. These styles are largely seen as flashy and visually impressive, but not effective for "real fighting." I have watched many MMA fights and heard commentators say that a fighter should not snap their kicks or hit with the foot TKD or Karate style, but should pivot more and hit with the shin, Thai style.

As a long time TKD practicioner I know that our kicks are effective they just have to be used differently than Thai style kicks. People like Machida and Pettis have shown the world that the TMAs are effective. It has just taken more time for fighters with solid backgrounds in TMAs to rise up in the UFC..

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a TKD school on about every corner here in the USA I can understand why people could say that TKD is the base system that they studied.
It dose teach great kicks that can be supplemented with boxing, grappling, BJJ or whatever for a mma match

Yes agree. As a spectator I would love to see more TKD. The Tornado kick I have Connor McGregor practice on a vid. It properly never have a practical in the Octagon, but I would surely like to see the Propeller kick, which if I am correct here? Is a TDK magic kick.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I honestly would just like to see more diversity in general. MMA has felt like its not "mixed" anymore for a long time as the majority of fighters are coming from American Kickboxing, sometimes Muay Thai, and BJJ or Wrestling. I wanna see Axe Kicks like Benson Henderson Throws, Kickers like Cung Le, just as much as I wanna see punches. I personally dont particularly wanna see just boxing with a leg kick here or there before grappling.

I love when a fighters diverse TMA background shows in the cage!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes agree. As a spectator I would love to see more TKD. The Tornado kick I have Connor McGregor practice on a vid. It properly never have a practical in the Octagon, but I would surely like to see the Propeller kick, which if I am correct here? Is a TDK magic kick.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ferocity? We don't try to kill each other you know! We fight to win, not batter your opponent into insensibility. It's all about the skill, not brute force and ignorance. One of my 'things' against the UFC is that unlike European and other countries MMA it doesn't encourage that skill set, it always looks more 'brutal' because of that.

One of the best TKD MMA fighters Mark Weir, he did one of the fastest KO's in the UFC.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ferocity? We don't try to kill each other you know! We fight to win, not batter your opponent into insensibility. It's all about the skill, not brute force and ignorance. One of my 'things' against the UFC is that unlike European and other countries MMA it doesn't encourage that skill set, it always looks more 'brutal' because of that.

One of the best TKD MMA fighters Mark Weir, he did one of the fastest KO's in the UFC.

Yeah alright calm down :) That is not what I meant. Quick KO yes, but build up to it. Just a personal observation, not at the fight.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Build up to it roflmao, have you fought MMA? why would you want to build up to it when you can get a quick win, punters love it, promoters hate it, you get paid ( or at least expenses and ticket deal) for a few minutes 'work'. Win, win.
One of our fighters, young lad on his way up, KO'd Phil 'Billy' Harris in the first few seconds (37) of the first round with a flying knee. Brilliant.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Build up to it roflmao, have you fought MMA? why would you want to build up to it when you can get a quick win, punters love it, promoters hate it, you get paid ( or at least expenses and ticket deal) for a few minutes 'work'. Win, win.
One of our fighters, young lad on his way up, KO'd Phil 'Billy' Harris in the first few seconds (37) of the first round with a flying knee. Brilliant.

Just my own personal viewpoint, take it leave it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, if you have false expectations of fighters it's unfair on them, if the opportunity is there to get a quick finish you have to take it, not to would be regarded as lack of aggression and penalised by the ref, you would lose points. Also if you pass on a shot then went on to lose, again you would be looked at, as perhaps losing the fight deliberately. There are a lot of reasons to finish the fight when you can, you cannot choreograph it.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, if you have false expectations of fighters it's unfair on them, if the opportunity is there to get a quick finish you have to take it, not to would be regarded as lack of aggression and penalised by the ref, you would lose points. Also if you pass on a shot then went on to lose, again you would be looked at, as perhaps losing the fight deliberately. There are a lot of reasons to finish the fight when you can, you cannot choreograph it.

I never meant choreograph in the first place :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

There's definitely something to this. There has to be an interest in training specifically for the sport, however. All of the guys you mention moved from their base, cross training with the specific intent of competing in MMA.

Latest Discussions