tkd boy defeating kenpo boy

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
This post has no intention to put a flame, it's not TKD vs Kenpo, I am not comparing these martial arts, I want to tell you something my brother told me yestarday.

My brother did TKD when he was a teen, He got a blue belt and then droped TKD, so TKD has be a part of the family. My brother's son wanted to try martial arts and in his elementary school there is Kenpo Kids program so brother put his son on this program, the boy is enjoying the kenpo classes.

My brother told me yestarday that he saw two boys sparring one has some TKD training the other kid only Kenpo training, the fight was interesting because in Kenpo the kids only do light (point) sparring and the TKD boy controled the fight mantaining the distance and sending pit chaguis (roundhose kicks to the torso), this boy conected several times.

It seems the kenpo master was desapointed because the exTKD boy wasn't using kenpo techs or wasn't using point fight techs and told the boy that he has to change his method of fighting.

I don't know you, but if the kid (using the TKD kicks) was fighting fare and well I really don't see why he would change his fighting. Maybe this master would see better and encourage the boy to keep fighting that way cause this boy can be a good fighter in some years more.

The same I saw in the kenpo center I use to train, there was an ex tkd boy that kick a... pretty well and always loose his fights cause the other boys performed light taps to the helmet using fists faster, however the tkd boy conetec solid kicks.

Manny

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
my first observation is the guy you are calling a kenpo master is not.
my second observation is that the art doesnt make the martial artist good or bad by itself, each individual person has attributes that can make them great.
I know plenty of guys who are not martial artists but could beat black belts from most styles without a second though.
I am not sure what you are trying to ask, but TKD vs Kenpo has nothing to do with anything here.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
my first observation is the guy you are calling a kenpo master is not.
my second observation is that the art doesnt make the martial artist good or bad by itself, each individual person has attributes that can make them great.
I know plenty of guys who are not martial artists but could beat black belts from most styles without a second though.
I am not sure what you are trying to ask, but TKD vs Kenpo has nothing to do with anything here.

I agree with your second observation too. Yes there are some guys that are natural born fighters that can beat a black belt.

What I am trying to show is that the boy who has previus TKD experience was fighting right and even that sensei wanted him to change the way he fights and this for me is not correct at all. The boy was controling the distance and was using good kicks because he feels more confortable that way (I think), this follows the principle... if it's not broken why fix it?

Manny

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I am trying to show is that the boy who has previus TKD experience was fighting right and even that sensei wanted him to change the way he fights and this for me is not correct at all. The boy was controling the distance and was using good kicks because he feels more confortable that way (I think), this follows the principle... if it's not broken why fix it?

I agree. Many students will change instructors or styles over their lifetimes, for a variety of reasons that may or may not have anything to do with the instructor. A good instructor will find ways to incorporate previous training into current training - not try to quash something that works just because it came from somewhere else. Variety makes for better students - and being unpredictable and demonstrating good control in sparring is a good thing, no matter who taught the student those skills.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The thing is though Manny, if you're going to do Kenpo, you should do Kenpo. If you want to do TKD you should go to a TKD school. When I first started at the TKD school I'm at now the first sparring session I was basically kick boxing and I was doing very well. But we're a WTF school. We're not as extreme as what you see Olympic style with almost 0 hand techs and hands at your side kind of thing, but we're really heavy on kicks and using evasion instead of taking kicks and countering and countering with punches like I was doing. I was told not to do what I was doing. I wasn't told what I was doing was wrong. I was just told at the school we do it a different way. I'm OK with that. I've had to learn a new style of combat.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing is though Manny, if you're going to do Kenpo, you should do Kenpo. If you want to do TKD you should go to a TKD school. When I first started at the TKD school I'm at now the first sparring session I was basically kick boxing and I was doing very well. But we're a WTF school. We're not as extreme as what you see Olympic style with almost 0 hand techs and hands at your side kind of thing, but we're really heavy on kicks and using evasion instead of taking kicks and countering and countering with punches like I was doing. I was told not to do what I was doing. I wasn't told what I was doing was wrong. I was just told at the school we do it a different way. I'm OK with that. I've had to learn a new style of combat.
Ive always wondered what would happen in that case, because it appears to me that although olympic sparring allows punches to the hogu, no one actually does them. At our club we use the wtf ruleset but the guys who exploit the rules the best use heaps of punches. Actually the best guy Ive sparred at our club, has done heaps of boxing training and literally throws 20 punches to 1 kick and just destroys his opponent witha flurry of very quick, powerful punches. His first move is usually an uppercut to the ribs that drives his opponent back about 3 feet, I sparred him the other night and his punches were like very heavy bullets smashing into my hogu. I have always wondered what would happen if a guy like that went and trained at an olympic style club, would they tell him to stop punching?, because technically he is sparring within the rules. At olympic style clubs do they actually teach not to punch? And if so, is this because generally they dont score?

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ive always wondered what would happen in that case, because it appears to me that although olympic sparring allows punches to the hogu, no one actually does them. At our club we use the wtf ruleset but the guys who exploit the rules the best use heaps of punches. Actually the best guy Ive sparred at our club, has done heaps of boxing training and literally throws 20 punches to 1 kick and just destroys his opponent witha flurry of very quick, powerful punches. His first move is usually an uppercut to the ribs that drives his opponent back about 3 feet, I sparred him the other night and his punches were like very heavy bullets smashing into my hogu. I have always wondered what would happen if a guy like that went and trained at an olympic style club, would they tell him to stop punching?, because technically he is sparring within the rules. At olympic style clubs do they actually teach not to punch? And if so, is this because generally they dont score?

I am not an expert, but a solid punch to the hogu rarely scores, in all the competition I've been last couple of years as a central refere/corner judge and even as espectator I've never seen a puch to score and I am talking about WTF/Olimpic sparring. That's why tkd competitors don't use hands ofensively.

As tkd man I am used to kick the most however I use my hands too, maybe the kick/punch ratio is 3 to 1 because I try to use long range sparring and my punches are used only as a counter or when I am too close.

When I was training Kenpo we did point sparring and it was very confusing to me, because no matter how hard or efective was my tech I alwasy loose the point because the guy who taps quicker the oponent it's the winner of the point, so I tried continus fight and it was another world believe me.

Manny

Latest Discussions