Winter Storm

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
How are you folks coping with the monster winter storm that's sweeping through the Plains and lower Midwest?

Here is St. Louis we've had a steady barrage of ice coming down from the skies since 7 a.m. the power lines are beginning to sag badly. The radio weather folks say a foot of snow, dangerours winds and arctic temperatures will follow shortly. We have a blizzard warning in effect, a rarity in this region. I closed the dojang before evening classes last evening and will probably not reopen until Thursday.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Staying home and warm. Denver didn't get much snow, but it's currently about -5; I canceled class last night because it was 3 degrees and the roads were really icy.

To everyone affected: here's hoping your power stays on, and your family and friends stay safe. Remember that training is great - but not if you get hurt going to or from; even if your facility is open, this might be the night to skip... and as an instructor, please let your instructor know if you're not coming, so s/he doesn't worry about your safety.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stay warm and safe.

I don't think we are expecting anything down south, but that's what they said in 93, too...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have cancelled ALL classes and training sessions for today and have tomorrow set to be cancelled as well.

Here in KS we have had steady snow since 6am and we had ice starting yesterday afternoon. We are also in a blizzard warning(first since 1982).

We are all staying home and doing nothing outside that si not absolutely necessary.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We will not have classes for the next two days and then maybe not even thursday due to the cold. Texas is not used to 0 and mionus temps. the roads are iced over and nobody is moving around at all. Glad the tournament was last weekend and not thisone.

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We will not have classes for the next two days and then maybe not even thursday due to the cold. Texas is not used to 0 and mionus temps. the roads are iced over and nobody is moving around at all. Glad the tournament was last weekend and not thisone.

Wow, I didn't know you folks are affected that much. We now have blizzard warning in effect until noon tommorow. We are expecting 8 inches of snow in the St. Louis metro area and winds of up to 40 mph.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm glad other states can enjoy the Michigan weather experience. I'm not so sure it is the crappy economy and high unemployment that has Michiganders moving to Florida, Texas, and Arizona. ;)

Anyway, I've got some good beers in the fridge and a brand new shovel.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those Steelers and Packers brought this crap with them and it is great in my book.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm in Kansas City and we're getting hammered right now. cooking a big pot of chili and some corn bread and will stay in till I have to leave in the morning. Hopefully I'll be able to make my appontment. The snow was falling so fast the road crews stopped clearing the road because they couldn't keep up.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm looking out my office window to blue skies and seventy five degree weather. More reason to resent me I suppose. :)

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking out my office window to blue skies and seventy five degree weather. More reason to resent me I suppose. :)

Resent you no envy you yes. I am glad somebody is having great weather...

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In the Chicago area things are closed down tight for today and tomorrow. The local walmarts ran out of some produce for people freaking out and gathering up emergency supplies.

Seems a little extreme to me.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
welcome to my world.... it has snow in 1 form or another every 3 days. Hits tue/wed then again around Sat... ever since the day after christmas...

we had frozen rain and ice last night, getting the storm tonight, then guess what. YUP AGAIN more snow on SATURDAY.....

LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW....

i getting used to it!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the Chicago area things are closed down tight for today and tomorrow. The local walmarts ran out of some produce for people freaking out and gathering up emergency supplies.

Seems a little extreme to me.

PRODUCE....
around here it's milk and bread...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Milk and bread? That's for amateurs.

Up here we panic shop on generators and camp fuel. ;)

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm in Kansas City and we're getting hammered right now. cooking a big pot of chili and some corn bread and will stay in till I have to leave in the morning. Hopefully I'll be able to make my appontment. The snow was falling so fast the road crews stopped clearing the road because they couldn't keep up.

They've shut down I-70 the main artery between KC and St. Louis.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The forecast calls for 22F in Houston tomorrow morning. The dojang was actually packed tonight. We're not supposed to have a reasonable chance of precipitation until Friday. My 10 year-old is hoping for snow.

Everyone stay safe out there.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The forecast calls for 22F in Houston tomorrow morning. The dojang was actually packed tonight. We're not supposed to have a reasonable chance of precipitation until Friday. My 10 year-old is hoping for snow.

Everyone stay safe out there.

Right now in Arlington it is 16 degree's with a wind chill of 9 degree's. The high tomorrow will be only 21 so it is freaking cold.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right now in Arlington it is 16 degree's with a wind chill of 9 degree's. The high tomorrow will be only 21 so it is freaking cold.

That's not cold... it's -9 here, headed for -20 or so, with a wind chill around -40. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be below 0. And as a friend who lives in Montana keeps reminding me, I'm a wimp to complain about it; it was -26 there this morning. Still, as my mother said (she lives in Plano) - the houses down there are not designed for the temperatures you're getting.