I'm glad

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm glad, my nephew George is starting in Kenpo Karete, he's only 5 years old but he's taking kempo karate lessons in school, his sensei is the same that teachs me Kenpo.

My brother told me his son do the things very well and today I am going to see the boy in his class, who knows maybe George Jr. will follow the steps of his uncle Manny.

Yes, is not TKD but Kenpo is a good martial art too.

Manny

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Very Cool...Both of my kids just started in Shotokan and are really enjoying Karate

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glad to hear of it, Manny.

On a personal note, I am struggling when to start teaching my own little boy. I think 5 is perhaps too young. I believe I've started a thread about this before.

I'm afraid I'll have some stern expectations for teaching my son: 1) once he starts, he won't get to quit until he is 18 and no longer living under my roof 2) I will require a learning attitude and a desire to improve at all times.

Yes, I know I will come off as a tyrant and an evil father to some of you.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

On a personal note, I am struggling when to start teaching my own little boy. I think 5 is perhaps too young. I believe I've started a thread about this before.

I'm afraid I'll have some stern expectations for teaching my son: 1) once he starts, he won't get to quit until he is 18 and no longer living under my roof 2) I will require a learning attitude and a desire to improve at all times.

Interesting. From a fellow tyrant with pretty much the same rule, my youngest son who was born after we as a family began training martial arts, has always been the easiest to deal with in regards to training. To him, it's as natural a family event as sitting down to dinner. No matter what sports he plays or what else he's involved in, Taekwondo is the constant. It just is...

The younger the better. Get him in say I.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score

Just as you have already stated, don't set any expectations and just keep it fun for now. Both my oldest kids have been doing TKD for 8 and 9 years respectively now, plus myself, so my youngest (only 3 years old) does not take any formal lessons. However that does not stop me or my other two kids from teaching her things in quick little 2 minutes type events I'll call it.

Here is what I mean. I have numbered 9 different blocks and strikes.

Low block = 1
High block = 2
Outside middle block = 3
Inside middle block = 4
knife hand middle strike = 5
knife hand side strike = 6
single knife hand block = 7
double knife hand block middle = 8
double knife hand block low = 9

Now at any given moment when I know she is in a playing mood I will call out CHA-RYUHT!! She will jump to attention. Then I say Juchoom sohgi. She then will go into her horse stance for the most part which is just open straight legs for a 3 year old. Then I just start saying numbers. 1 and watch her do a low block. 2, and she should transition into a high block, and so on.

No, she does not know the names but then again I am not really training her as I would a student. But she is training and I keep it simple and fun and on her time. As soon as she seem a little disinterested I just say HI FIVE and give her the high 5 and let her go on her merry way. She feels like she is a part of what we do and she won't hate it later.

Plus she is pretty good at her 9 little basic blocks and strikes for a 3 year old.

As she got better and better I also snuck in some stances. She now will do walking stance with all the blocks and strikes as well as split stride front stance.

But they are only 2 minute sessions at best and at totally random times when I know she thinks it is fun time. Plus at the end when I give her the high 5 she walks away feeling good like she trained for the day. I can see it in her bounce when she walks off.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's true George Jr. at 5 is too young for met to start MA, however in the shcool he goes they had Pre-Karate (Kenpo) for the very young and Kenpo Karate for elementary school. The boy really enjoy the W-wrestling shows (you know Senna, Undertaker,Rey Misterio, etc.) and my brother saw the oportunity for his son to start martial arts training in the school facilities at a not high price.

Let's see maybe the boy get bored too son or dislike the whole thing but at leat he's enjoying the class.

My daughter ana start in Tae Kwon Do at 7 or 8 and she quit arguieng there is so much displine and tot su much fun and I really understand her, if she never comeback to MA at least I have some faith in my nephew.

Manny

Latest Discussions