Titles In The Arts

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the teaching ability not just the physical ability will show greatly a perons understanding of what they are teaching.

As far as Sensei and Guro, Sa Bum Nim and other titles in different langauges I don't frown on those because I understand that they are titles used from the systems country of origin. I korean titles I am trying to learn as I have only recently (in the last few years) been exposed to them.

All and all even though I have masters rank and technically am "shihan" or master I don't use it if someone is addressing me by title I much prefer sensei otherwise Brandon is just fine. I think there is a lack of understanding in different systems titles but I have also seen titles completely misused. I am advocate to keep the traditional titles and dump the "great" this and that. But traditional titles according to your systems country of origin.

I hope that clarifies my view a little better I know I wasn't real clear on my point when I typed it last night.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MJS said:
Yes, you bring up some great points Paul. Considering every art is going to run differently, getting a title may come at different times. Someone in org. "A" may get a title at 3rd degree black where in org. "B" they'll get it at 5th. It really can be a mess though, considering how some people are.

Like I said earlier and this is just my personal view on it. If someone wants to use it, thats fine, but I want to see their skill match the title. If anything, outside of the school, I'd call the person Mr., Mrs., etc. rather than GrandMaster (insert name). Like I said, I'm more concerned with the things I listed in my earlier posts than a long drawn out title.

Mike

That seems like a good outlook on the whole thing, Mike.

I'll say also for everyones sake that despite my feelings regarding titles, I do respect that certian martial TRADITIONS do certian things as a part of that tradition, like belts and titles. So, for one preserving a particular tradition, it makes sense that they would keep such things around.

So, it is not that I don't respect them. Like what Mike described, I take people on individual merits.

Paul

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We teach to use the titles because we are trying to teach the younger ones...respect and to call peope with proper etiquette.

We say this is "Professor Buell" or in our case Instructor______...and so on.

This is not an EGO thing....just proper manners. Outside of the dojo..you can use our first name..it is OK with us, but many students still use "Instructor---"

Every school will have there own rules,regulations,and etiquette....for us it about giving and receiving proper respect as a part of the martial art training...NOT an EGO thing. ....Proper manners...sometime must be taught to those who do not know how....

Every country has there own way of giving and receiveing respect...What is yours? ...We do handshakes...sometimes bow.....Aloha

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Some school/styles/systems are absorbed with the title & rank thing. For example I hold the rank of Godan, which is the first level of shihan in the ninjitsu style I learned. There was a habit of addressing my rank by title first such as Shihan Godan, however when I was teaching I went by my first name.

I could run around saying I am "The Master" but the rank of shihan (master) is exactly that a rank and nothing more...

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dark said:
I could run around saying I am "The Master" but the rank of shihan (master) is exactly that a rank and nothing more...
Shihan does not translate as master, and it's a title, not a rank.

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Shihan does not translate as master, and it's a title, not a rank.
Rank and title are the same thing, some concept of semperation between people. In japanese shihan can mean anything from a purple spot to an instructor, here in american it's used to disinate a master. Personally I don't really care much if I wanted rank I'd never have bounced between so many MAs...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dark said:
Rank and title are the same thing, some concept of semperation between people. In japanese shihan can mean anything from a purple spot to an instructor, here in american it's used to disinate a master. Personally I don't really care much if I wanted rank I'd never have bounced between so many MAs...

What about non-traditonal arts that are traditional in themselves such as FMA's? Where Titles are many times political and or spiritual versus Rank or Skill. (* No desrespect meant to anyone with a title in a FMA. *)

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
What about non-traditonal arts that are traditional in themselves such as FMA's? Where Titles are many times political and or spiritual versus Rank or Skill. (* No desrespect meant to anyone with a title in a FMA. *)

Still a seperation between an idividual and all others...

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dark said:
In japanese shihan can mean anything from a purple spot to an instructor
In Japan, a shihan is a master instructor. It's not variable as you say.
here in american it's used to disinate a master.
And here in America, those using it as such are incorrect.
Personally I don't really care much if I wanted rank I'd never have bounced between so many MAs...
Obviously, you cared enough about the title to include in your sig. Although, as a title in ninjitsu [sic], it's not worth much...

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kreth said:
In Japan, a shihan is a master instructor. It's not variable as you say.

Master, Instructor, master-instructor it all seems like splitting hairs to me but go ahead and have fun with it... ;)

Latest Discussions