Tiger Schulman lawsuit

P

pknox

FYI...

I just saw a news report on my local FOX affiliate (NYC). Evidently an instructor at the Bensonhurst, NY Tiger Schulman studio claims he was fired due to his excessive weight. According to the news report, he weighs about 300 pounds, and he claims he was told that he "would be fired unless he lost 100 pounds." According to the instructor, the ultimatum came from Tiger Schulman himself. The head of the Bensonhurst studio denies the allegations, claiming the instructor (whose rank was simply given as "black belt", no level of dan ranking was mentioned) was fired from the studio "because he didn't relate well to the staff." The instructor is now working at a Tiger Schulman facility in Teaneck, NJ (they didn't say what his duties were, but it looks like he was teaching potential instructors at an instructor's academy - I find it confusing that he was supposedly fired, but is still working for TS - perhaps they are keeping him, but just not letting him teach the general public (which doesn't seem like really being "fired" to me), or perhaps he was not officially fired yet, as he hasn't exceeded the time allegedly given to lose the weight - the news report did definitely make it sound like he had already been fired). He states that he is pursuing a discrimination lawsuit.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow!! Thats pretty interesting. I have seen pics. in magazines of some of his Inst. and yes, they all look like they are in very good shape. If this was the case, that he was fired due to his weight, then considering we live in a very sue happy world, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time, before this guy has a suit filed.

You're right though--It does seem strange that he was fired from one school and then gets transferred to another. You would think that he would not be allowed to work at any of them.

It sure will be interesting to see what the outcome is. If you hear anything, be sure to post it!

Mike

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Seig
More than likely they transferred him to give less credence to his allegations.

That's what the Goldendragon did to me! What a small world!:rolleyes:

OP
D

Disco

The fired guy claims it is because of weight. The Schulman camp rep said it was because he wasen't doing his job right and it had nothing to do with his weight. He said that they have other people employed who are overweight and they haven't been fired. He further said that this guy was not an Instructor but a manager of a school, a clerical position with managerial aspects. They asked the rep if there is the possibility of an out of court settlement. He said sure, he'd like to help him tell the truth.:p
Should be interesting if it does go to court. If Schulman prades in other over weight employees, this guys case most likely goes down the :toilclaw:

Latest Discussions