tie an obi for a Daisho

ray57913

White Belt
Reaction score
About a week ago I picked up a displayable Daisho set and decided i want to dress up for the PA Renaissance Fair as a traveler from the east. My problem is I have my Obi but i do not know how to tie it to correctly support my Daisho. Also i have not seen anywhere that shows where to wear the Tanto. Also one final question are there any problem wearing it one the right side because i am left handed?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, there's a number of different answers to that, and that will depend on a range of different circumstances. To begin with, your profile states no art at this time, so I would ask what you are refering to as an obi? The term is usually translated as "belt", but sash is probably more accurate.... and they come in many forms, from a "karate obi", to a wider "Iaido obi", to a formal obi for wearing with a kimono. Which do you have?

If it is an Iaido obi, do a google search for how to tie a Kaku obi; same for the rest. To let you know, though, there are a number of ways of tying Kaku obi (as well as the others), depending on the system and school involved. To get you started, though, here's one of my choices. It's in Italian, but can be translated, and has lot's of photos to guide you through: http://www.katorishintoryu.it/Obi.htm

In terms of wearing the swords themselves, that will also change depending on the school (Ryu) in question, but a good rule is on the left hip for the Daito (long sword), and the Shoto/Wakizashi (short sword) across the front of your waist with the tsuka (handle) in front of your stomach. The Daito should be above the Shoto in the obi, so the saya (scabbard) of the Shoto is beneath the Daito's. Honestly, this isn't a great example, but it's the best I could find quickly: http://www.toyamaryu.org/WearingKatana.htm

The tanto, if worn, would be worn in place of the Shoto. In fact, a Tanto (Knife, literally short blade/sword) could be classed as a Shoto (literally small sword) if worn with a Daito as a Daisho set. That could explain why you're not seeing both Wakizashi and Tanto worn with a Katana all at the same time.

These weapons are always worn on the left hip. There is no such thing as a left handed samurai (yes, I know that certain systems have left-handed kata, but that is the exception, not the rule, and it is usually for the element of surprise, as it is completely unexpected).

OP
R

ray57913

White Belt
Reaction score
I think that the obi Would be considered a Kaku Obi. It is 7 inches wide and 7 feet long, I bought it when I bought a Kimono from Kyotokimono.com. the Italian site has one of the best guides i have seen. It looks like I have run into a bigger problem. It looks like i need a longer Obi, at about 7 feet i can barely wrap it around twice. It looks like I will have to find a new obi before I can wear this. I do thank you for you time in helping me with this and for the information.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for that Link Chris. I know about a dozen obi ties, but I've never come across that particular one. Pretty much agree with everything you put down there. In Mugai ryu, we place the shoto under the outermost obi layer, and the daito under the innermost obi layer as it holds the heavier daito more securely. The important thing is to never put them both under the same layer as the saya will rub together.
7 feet is very short for a sword obi. They are usually around 12 feet. You can probably get by with two layers as long as there is sufficient to tie it tightly. I don't think you could support a sword with a single layer.

OP
R

ray57913

White Belt
Reaction score
Back to the fact that there are no left handed samurai. I guess it would be safe to say it would be improper to draw the Daito with my left hand?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ha, yeah.

ray57913, I get the feeling that you don't actually have a Kaku Obi, rather a more generic Kimono Obi, which would be shorter, and less firm (in other words, not really good for holding a sword in place, let alone two). I can't see any "sword obi's" on kyotokimono at all.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you wearing a hakama as well?

You definitely should have a longer Obi. You probably want one long enough to wrap at least three times. As I understand it, the sword is tucked into (and not under) the belt itself, resting between the first and second layers. There are also different ways of hanging/attaching the sao, which I'm sure someone more familiar with iaidou, or the koryuu arts can explain.

One option you may want to consider is just wearing the wakizashi. It's not as heavy, and is much easier to wear. It also won't get bumped on everything as easily if you're not used to wearing a sword.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Uh, this was asked 2 years ago about a single event the original poster was asking about, so I don't know that you'll get any answers from them...

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah - oops. It was on the front page still, so I assumed it was recent.

Latest Discussions