Thoughts on Attending a Seminar?

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My instructor has asked me to attend a seminar with him. He even offered to pay my way. For those able to bring up The Book of Faces, it is mentioned briefly here:

A Day with Master Nikya Yamashita

On the one hand, I'm honored that he thinks I'm up to it and would consider it a valuable learning experience. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I am anywhere near up to speed enough to attend a seminar of this nature, since I have only been back in training for a few months, and I don't wish to embarrass myself, let alone him. Add to this I have a 5K trail race the next day, and I am worried I may be biting off more than I can chew if I decide to attend. So, thoughts? Opinions?

I used to think I was indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see that he is well known in your area. If it is a truly unique opportunity, which it sounds like, I would say it only comes around once. The trail will always be there IMHO.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Go. Learn. Have fun. Of course you aren't up to speed. Thing about seminars; there will be those like you (just learning) to other instructors of all levels. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Just go and learn, you will most likely be overwhelmed. It's ok absorb what you can. It will advance you 3-6 months of training.

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I see that he is well known in your area. If it is a truly unique opportunity, which it sounds like, I would say it only comes around once. The trail will always be there IMHO.

Oh, I'll still do the race, my legs just may feel like jello.

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So go, enjoy. Personally I'm all done with seminars but that's just me.

The last seminar I did was back about 25 years ago, five hours working with Joe Lewis. I remember it well. I got into an accident on the way home and totaled my car. My wife was nine months pregnant. Maybe there's a reason I haven't done one.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Decide which ones more important to you the run or the seminar. Personally I've never really bothered with seminars the ones I've done have always been a waste of time and nothing more than the guy trying to make some quick cash but it's your choice

OP
DocWard

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Decide which ones more important to you the run or the seminar. Personally I've never really bothered with seminars the ones I've done have always been a waste of time and nothing more than the guy trying to make some quick cash but it's your choice

Well, yes, it is my choice ultimately. In the present case, there is no doubt that they are trying to make some quick cash, to cover medical expenses and final arrangement costs for him, since he is apparently terminally ill. Most of the seminars will be given by others, such as Tokey Hill.

The race has become a tradition for my oldest daughter and me, this would be our fourth.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, yes, it is my choice ultimately. In the present case, there is no doubt that they are trying to make some quick cash, to cover medical expenses and final arrangement costs for him, since he is apparently terminally ill. Most of the seminars will be given by others, such as Tokey Hill.

The race has become a tradition for my oldest daughter and me, this would be our fourth.
I've been to a few seminars and those at least were not in the slightest demanding physically, they did however drag on at bit, long past the point they were interesting, so somewhere in the third hour,,so if those are typical then all you have to worry about is boredom induced exhaustion

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been to a few seminars and those at least were not in the slightest demanding physically, they did however drag on at bit, long past the point they were interesting, so somewhere in the third hour,,so if those are typical then all you have to worry about is boredom induced exhaustion
Pretty much. Most I've been to have been guys who like the sound of their own voice telling me stuff I already know while the people who organised it kiss their feet and say how amazing it was and how we learnt so much and I end up looking around like um what did we learn?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love going to martial arts seminars. I've been to probably over a hundred seminars. Notable names include Dan Inosanto, Masaaki Hatsumi, Stephen Hayes, Bud Malmstrom, Doron Navon, Herman Suwanda, Neil Adams, Chai Sirisute, Sakasem Kanthawong, Jongsoonan Fairtex, Royce Gracie, Renzo Gracie, Carlson Gracie Jr, Carlos Machado, Eb Kieslich, and our own @Brian R. VanCise, among many others.

I've learned plenty of good stuff from seminars, but honestly they're not always the best deal in terms of retainable material per dollar spent. Often so much material gets dumped on you at once that you don't get a chance to practice it on an ongoing basis before it fades from memory. I just like the experience of meeting new people and immersing myself in the perspective of a high level instructor who has a different approach from my usual training partners,

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty much. Most I've been to have been guys who like the sound of their own voice telling me stuff I already know while the people who organised it kiss their feet and say how amazing it was and how we learnt so much and I end up looking around like um what did we learn?
Sounds like you need to find better seminar instructors.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love going to martial arts seminars. I've been to probably over a hundred seminars. Notable names include Dan Inosanto, Masaaki Hatsumi, Stephen Hayes, Bud Malmstrom, Doron Navon, Herman Suwanda, Neil Adams, Chai Sirisute, Sakasem Kanthawong, Jongsoonan Fairtex, Royce Gracie, Renzo Gracie, Carlson Gracie Jr, Carlos Machado, Eb Kieslich, and our own @Brian R. VanCise, among many others.
Almost forgot to include our own @lklawson as well.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think seminars are great. I still attend as many as I can and put on seminars frequently. For the long-timers, seminars are a great way to pick up some main concepts of an art without having to spend years training (and having to start at the beginning). You will probably feel a little tired for your run the next day, but adrenaline will kick in and get you through your 5k. All that being said, you wrote that you are doing a 5k race, as opposed to a fun run. If you are a serious contender in the race, you may want to respectfully decline the seminar invite.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like Tony and other's I really enjoy attending seminar's. I love seeing how other people move, their interpretation of their Martial Science and the general comradery of other martial practitioner's. I love teaching them as well and passing along the skills I have learned throughout the years. When attending a seminar I am looking for inspiration and one or two things that I can take and retain from the seminar. Throughout the years I have attended so many seminars and gleaned small details that really have made a difference in my training. They can be very valuable to a martial practitioner on his or here journey. They can also be very expensive and you have to weight that when you go to train. I am very conscious of that fact in picking where and when and with whom that I am going to train!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow.
I can't say that at all. Been to hundreds of seminars over the years. Maybe 4 or 5 were not worth it in my opinion.
Maybe attend a few with great instructors and your experience will be different.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally I enjoy going to seminars and often go whenever I have the opportunity. Most of the seminars I have been to, I have picked up something new that I can bring back to the dojo to help improve my own karate and of course help improve any student's that happen to take any of my classes. I also find it a great way to connect with like minded people from other areas so that if I do travel to their area I will have a place I can train at.

Every special instructor at these seminars generally has a gem or two that they wish to share and that can be an amazing opportunity to advance your own training leaps and bounds. Good luck and have fun.

Latest Discussions