Thinking about competing again..

Dragons TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So, it's been 11 years since I've competed in a tournament. Back in the day, I had competed at the US Nationals and the US Open. I'm sure over the years the rules have changed a bit and before I can make a decision to get back into it, I need to know what those changes are.

I'm more looking to do poomse than anything else. I'm 34 years old and currently hold the rank of 5th dan. Doing some searching that would put me in the Masters age group? I have also seen 2nd senior age groups, so I'm not sure which I would be in.

Which form/forms would I be required to do? Just Shipjin? Pyongwon and Shipjin? More? Others?

Are there enough people in my age/rank group to make it even worth going to tournaments for? I don't want to be the only one or one of two. I don't really want to be stuck in a different group either, just so I can 'compete'.

Thanks in advance!

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
The WTF Poomsae rules are online.

As you're in the Senior Division (not Master) you'll need to know : Taeguek 6, 7, 8 Jang, Koryo, Keumgang, Taeback, Pyongwon and Shipjin (Article 8 of the rules).

I'm hoping to enter my first poomsae competition much later in the year, so if you go for it, please post your feedback as a first time (recent) competitor... I'd be interested in hearing about the process, etc.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You should also learn the official way to do your poomsae. I reccomend either a kkw poomsae seminar, FIC or get the textbook of tkd poomsae. It has a dvd in the back that is helpful...the book is outstanding.

OP
Dragons TKD

Dragons TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast responses!

Taeguek 6, 7, 8 Jang, Koryo, Keumgang, Taeback, Pyongwon and Shipjin (Article 8 of the rules).
Do they usually make you do all of them? or pick a couple? It seems like tournaments would take forever if everyone had to do that many forms each.

I reccomend either a kkw poomsae seminar, FIC or get the textbook of tkd poomsae.
Do you know of any upcoming poomsae seminars? Is this the same as the Kukkiwon Master Instructor Training? I think I may have found the book. http://dynamicsworld.com/414-955/THE_TEXTBOOK_OF_TAEKWONDO_POOMSAE

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do they usually make you do all of them? or pick a couple? It seems like tournaments would take forever if everyone had to do that many forms each.

I believe they pick one from up to Koryo in the first round, then one from Keumgang up in the second round. However, I don't know what happens past then (I'm just a rule reader and spectator).

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I say go for it. I got back into competition 7 years ago after a hiatus of about 15 or so years. It was great. I have fun and have learned a lot about myself and met some good people. I just started fighting again this year. Fun, exciting and painful all at the same time. :)