There is NO successor to Emperado

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This public statement is to address any questions concerning a successor to Sijo Adriano D. Emperado, Founder and Creator of the Kajukenbo system.
Sijo Emperado passed away on April 4, 2009. Prior to his passing he did not name anyone to be his successor. In 2007, Sijo Emperado named a "Board of Advisors" (BOA) for his organization, the Kajukenbo Self Defense Institute, Inc (KSDI). This board's (made up of 9 grandmasters) sole purpose was/is to screen and promote qualified applicants to the rank of either 8th or 9th degree within the KSDI organization. No member of the Board of Advisors was named to be Sijo Emperado's successor.
Sijo Emperado always documented in either writing, video, or both, all important promotions, appointments, and declarations. No one has, or can provide any documentation from Sijo Emperado stating that he/she had been named as Sijo Emperado's successor.
If anyone, anywhere, is claiming to be Sijo Emperado's successor now, or in the future, their claim is fraudulent and without merit.

Signed:
Grandmaster Eugene Sedeno, K.S.D.I
Grandmaster Gary Forbach, K.S.D.I. - B.O.A.
Grandmaster Greg Harper, E.K.A.
Grandmaster Philip Gelinas, K.S.D.I. - B.O.A.
Grandmaster Al Dela Cruz, K.O.A.
Grandmaster Julian Jay Vera, K.S.D.I.
Grandmaster Rick Kingi, K.S.D.I. - B.O.A.
Grandmaster Robert New, K.O.A.
Grandmaster Angel Garcia Soldado, K.S.D.I. - B.O.A.
Grandmaster Doug Bunda, K.S.D.I.
Grandmaster Bob Maschmeier, K.S.D.I.
Grandmaster Woody Sims, K.S.D.I.
Grandmaster Keith Straughter, K.S.D.I.
Grandmaster Armando Laguna, K.S.D.I.
Grandmaster Gerry Scott, O.K.O., K.O.A., K.H.
Grandmaster Al Rimando, KSDI
Grandmaster Frank Bianchi, K.S.D.I.
Grandmaster Ted Sotelo, K.S.D.I.

Professor John Bishop, K.S.D.I.
Professor Mike Merlino, K.S.D.I.
Professor John Bono, K.A.A.
Professor Rob Peladeau K.S.D.I.
Professor James Willis, K.S.D.I.
Professor Tim Gagnier. K.A.A.

poollshark

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Bishop, I am curious on your thoughts, Do you think this is a good thing that there is no successor?

I noticed that 4 board members did not sign this statement, did they disagree?

Most of my early training was through the Gascon/Pesare lineage. I am aware Mr Gascon's ties to Kajukenbo are long since severed but it is still the roots of a lot of what I know. Hence the curiosity. :asian:

OP
John Bishop

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Bishop, I am curious on your thoughts, Do you think this is a good thing that there is no successor?

I noticed that 4 board members did not sign this statement, did they disagree?

Most of my early training was through the Gascon/Pesare lineage. I am aware Mr Gascon's ties to Kajukenbo are long since severed but it is still the roots of a lot of what I know. Hence the curiosity. :asian:

I do think that it is a good idea. Kajukenbo like many systems has become too large for just one person to lead it. Even when Sijo was alive, there were Kajukenbo organizations that recognized him as their founder, but established their own leadership and policies.
Sijo knew that he could only establish policies for his organization, the Kajukenbo Self Defense Institute, Inc (KSDI) If Sijo Emperado had wanted a successor, he would have named one. Instead he named a Board of Advisors to oversee and maintain high standards for the promotions of 8th & 9th degrees within his own organization.
He basically wanted individual instructors to maintain control of their students and use their own judgement in promoting up to 7th degree.
This public statement is something we put together in the last week, as we were flooded with inquiries about a so-called successor to Sijo Emperado. So signatures were collected via the Kajukenbo Cafe, and emails. Since I posted this announcement this morning, 3 more grandmasters have emailed their signatures to me.
3 of the 4 B.O.A. members who have not signed the announcement yet, are elderly and do not use the internet or email. But I know from previous discussions with them that they do not support the idea of a successor to Sijo.
As news gets out, I'm sure more of the grandmasters and professors who aren't internet active will be calling to add their signatures. And as you can see, there is support coming in from all the major Kajukenbo organizations, not just the KSDI.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed one of those names listed was someone who sparked that debate over at the Cafe. Is this an old list of names?

As for a successor....it may be good to have one, someone that was appointed by the head, to carry things on, but OTOH, people are going to do their own thing anyways, so it probably wouldn't have made a difference. Of course, even if there was a successor, I"m sure there'd be someone who wouldn't agree, and would feel that they should've been named the new head. This would do nothing but create a huge mess.

IMO, it seems like there are good, quality people that're part of the BOA, so hopefully the standards of the art stay high.

OP
John Bishop

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I noticed one of those names listed was someone who sparked that debate over at the Cafe. Is this an old list of names?

All the people who names are listed authorized us in writing or verbally to include their names as signers of the announcement. All the signatures were collected between July 26th and today.

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As posted on the Cafe, I had a few questions about the Public Statement issued:

1. For the purpose of the Public Statement and all who signed, what was/is the definition of "Successor"?

2. Since Sijo did not name any person as his Successor, did he intend for there to be several individuals to carry out the same functions as a Successor (based on the definition)?

3. Is this Public Statement binding and enforceable upon those who signed ... or is it a pledge, or an opinion?

Thank you,

Ron

OP
John Bishop

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As posted on the Cafe, I had a few questions about the Public Statement issued:

1. For the purpose of the Public Statement and all who signed, what was/is the definition of "Successor"?

When I wrote the statement, myself and others felt we were talking about 1 single person assuming the role or claiming to be Sijo's successor as the head of Kajukenbo.

2. Since Sijo did not name any person as his Successor, did he intend for there to be several individuals to carry out the same functions as a Successor (based on the definition)?

Obviously, he wanted several people (B.O.A.) to carry on his function of promoting 8th & 9th degrees. Other then that, he appointed no others to leadership roles in the KSDI. But one has to assume that the people he promoted to high ranks are leaders in their schools and lineages.
GM Dechi is still the "administrator" of his organization, and there is talk of other boards being established to carry out other functions within the K.S.D.I.

3. Is this Public Statement binding and enforceable upon those who signed ... or is it a pledge, or an opinion?

Thank you,

Ron

I doubt that the statement is legally binding, since signatures were gathered thru Cafe postings, emails, and telephone calls. More importantly it is a pledge of support for the belief that no one else will ever take Sijo's place. It's also a statement that no one in Kajukenbo has produced any documentation from Sijo Emperado, to support a claim of being named his successor.
It's only binding by a old fashion concept known as honor.

OP
John Bishop

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Additional Signers:

Grandmaster Anthony Hemenes
Grandmaster Al Dacascos, K.O.A., I.W.H.K.D.A.
Grandmaster Joseph F. Davis, K.S.D.I.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Professor, why is Dougs name on there and not Carlos? Just asking

chrstnkenpoist

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This public statement is to address any questions concerning a successor to Sijo Adriano D. Emperado, Founder and Creator of the Kajukenbo system.
Sijo Emperado passed away on April 4, 2009. Prior to his passing he did not name anyone to be his successor. In 2007, Sijo Emperado named a "Board of Advisors" (BOA) for his organization, the Kajukenbo Self Defense Institute, Inc (KSDI). This board's (made up of 9 grandmasters) sole purpose was/is to screen and promote qualified applicants to the rank of either 8th or 9th degree within the KSDI organization. No member of the Board of Advisors was named to be Sijo Emperado's successor.
Sijo Emperado always documented in either writing, video, or both, all important promotions, appointments, and declarations. No one has, or can provide any documentation from Sijo Emperado stating that he/she had been named as Sijo Emperado's successor.
If anyone, anywhere, is claiming to be Sijo Emperado's successor now, or in the future, their claim is fraudulent and without merit.

Signed:
Grandmaster Eugene Sedeno, K.S.D.I
Grandmaster Gary Forbach, K.S.D.I. - B.O.A.
Grandmaster Greg Harper, E.K.A.
Grandmaster Philip Gelinas, K.S.D.I. - B.O.A.
Grandmaster Al Dela Cruz, K.O.A.
Grandmaster Julian Jay Vera, K.S.D.I.
Grandmaster Rick Kingi, K.S.D.I. - B.O.A.
Grandmaster Robert New, K.O.A.
Grandmaster Angel Garcia Soldado, K.S.D.I. - B.O.A.
Grandmaster Doug Bunda, K.S.D.I.
Grandmaster Bob Maschmeier, K.S.D.I.
Grandmaster Woody Sims, K.S.D.I.
Grandmaster Keith Straughter, K.S.D.I.
Grandmaster Armando Laguna, K.S.D.I.
Grandmaster Gerry Scott, O.K.O., K.O.A., K.H.
Grandmaster Al Rimando, KSDI
Grandmaster Frank Bianchi, K.S.D.I.
Grandmaster Ted Sotelo, K.S.D.I.

Professor John Bishop, K.S.D.I.
Professor Mike Merlino, K.S.D.I.
Professor John Bono, K.A.A.
Professor Rob Peladeau K.S.D.I.
Professor James Willis, K.S.D.I.
Professor Tim Gagnier. K.A.A.
Sir. In looking at this I can’t help but feel a little envious. The Sijo’s decision to form the board appears to be a very wise move for the system as a whole. Something I sincerely wish Mr Ed Parker would have done with the IKKA/American Kenpo prior to his passing. I think if he had the system would not be as fragmented as it is today. Posthumous congrats to the Sijo for his wisdom.
Peace
1st John 1:9

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sir. In looking at this I can’t help but feel a little envious. The Sijo’s decision to form the board appears to be a very wise move for the system as a whole. Something I sincerely wish Mr Ed Parker would have done with the IKKA/American Kenpo prior to his passing. I think if he had the system would not be as fragmented as it is today. Posthumous congrats to the Sijo for his wisdom.
Peace
1st John 1:9
Just so you're aware, the post you're replying to is 9 years old. I hope you're not holding your breath waiting for a reply...

Latest Discussions