There are different types of BACON????

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
for all those religous people who say they dont eat beef BACON FOR EVERYBODY! :D

even they get bacon...

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Horrible click-through site but.......bacon! Bacon!! :D

17 Types of Bacon You Probably Haven't Tried Yet - Oola.com

Well, just me, but if it isn't pork, it isn't bacon. You could call it turkey-bacon or some such, but don't try to convince me it's bacon unless it is. :rofl:

And after we have cleared the hurdle of it's pork, then we need to consider what part of the pig it is from, and how it was prepared for cooking. :hmm:

Eventually, we will arrive at ... Bacon!

Enlightening series anyway. Thanks for sharing.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Worst bacon I ever had was halal beef bacon. Best bacon I ever had was organic pork bacon from a pig named Wilber.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Am I the only one who likes bacon, but thinks this current bacon craze has jumped the shark?

I mean, I like bacon. It's fine. Good on a BLT or with eggs. But, keep it the hell off my maple bar. :)

And if we're going to go nuts about one specific type of protein, let it be a dry aged, 16oz prime rib, medium rare and served with a hot horseradish. That beats bacon in any form.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Am I the only one who likes bacon, but thinks this current bacon craze has jumped the shark?

I mean, I like bacon. It's fine. Good on a BLT or with eggs. But, keep it the hell off my maple bar. :)

And if we're going to go nuts about one specific type of protein, let it be a dry aged, 16oz prime rib, medium rare and served with a hot horseradish. That beats bacon in any form.

it's getting real old. Bacon is great. Many other things are also great.

I hear pumpkin coffee stuff is waning in sales finally.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Maybe we shouldn't tell Carol about the 'Bacon of the Month' Club.

umm... yeah. How do you think I know?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes, yes there are different types of bacon.... and I pretty much don't like any of them... one of the few "really bad for you" foods I don't much care for

No, no your not... and I will, on occasion have a BLT.... but that is about as far as I go down the bacon path... as for the current Bacon craze...... it is more than a little ridiculous

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've tried several types of non-porcine bacon (when my wife got me a bacon-of-the-month-club membership one year), but we've always come back to pig.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
you don't have to just eat strips of bacon. It's a great flavor additive to soups, sauces, and other dishes. It can also be a great texture device or you can just render the fat or inside it's flavor on something else.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Stop!!!!!!!!
I live in a country in the ME where bacon is banned!!!
Stop talking about that gift of the gods!!!
Unless someone here is on a US base nearby and can get me a pound or twenty?????

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you don't have to just eat strips of bacon. It's a great flavor additive to soups, sauces, and other dishes. It can also be a great texture device or you can just render the fat or inside it's flavor on something else.

I think the most unusual thing I made from bacon was a pie crust that was made with rendered bacon fat instead of Crisco. I used it with an apple pie and the taste was amazing. I'm not sure how the flavors would blend a more delicate flavor of pie, but I would definitely do that for a spicier pie such as apple or pecan.

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
bacon and apple is a smart combo. This time of year bacon and squash hash is a good idea or squash bisque with bacon garnish.

I save fat when I make bacon and use it for cooking... got that from my grandma.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a killer-great post!
Thanks for showing all those options.
Bacon or pork definitely not my go-to protein source, too fatty, but I do get into it now and then purely for enjoyment or just as a break from fish or chicken/turkey. I would love to get my hands on some of that elk bacon or try some peppered bacon (probably easy enough to do at home); would also like to get into that venison bacon but not sure how as have never heard of or seen this, even in the markets or at the deer farms...

Latest Discussions