Theraputic development effects of practicing arts

martin watts

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently interested in any studies which show the theraputic aspects of martial arts training as a comparison with other sports activities - particularly in the field of child development.

I have seen and article on a hong kong psychotherapist site dimensionscentre.com here

Dimensions Centre - Private Psychology Counseling & Therapy

which references a study on tae kwon do as a comparison with straight gym exercises.

Does anyone else know any studies specifically comparing martial arts training with other forms of exercises?

Thanks,

Martin

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know about studies, but for whatever this is worth - in my experience, Taekwondo can be helpful for kids with ADHD and high-functioning autism. I imagine the same could be said for karate etc too.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently interested in any studies which show the theraputic aspects of martial arts training as a comparison with other sports activities - particularly in the field of child development.

I have seen and article on a hong kong psychotherapist site dimensionscentre.com here

Dimensions Centre - Private Psychology Counseling & Therapy

which references a study on tae kwon do as a comparison with straight gym exercises.

Does anyone else know any studies specifically comparing martial arts training with other forms of exercises?

Thanks,

Martin
Bunch of research on it. Try this link:
Google

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
M

martin watts

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks - I had a look at the google links, - and also liked the joke although did not understand initally until read aloud - whilst the theraputic effects of MA is fairly easy to show, there is very little in the way of comparative studies - on the lines of "how practicing MA effects child development compared to practicing football -" - that is the gem I am trying to find out.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks - I had a look at the google links, - and also liked the joke although did not understand initally until read aloud - whilst the theraputic effects of MA is fairly easy to show, there is very little in the way of comparative studies - on the lines of "how practicing MA effects child development compared to practicing football -" - that is the gem I am trying to find out.
I did some preliminary research on this, but didn't publish any because there wasn't much to pursue. Basically found a trend towards "martial arts help a lot...and so do other sports"
Considering the amount of children who practice multiple different sports, it is very tough to isolate martial arts in child development unfortunately.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I get home I will check to see if I still have the articles saved that I used for the study, but it's been 3 years since I thought about it so no promises I can find them.

OP
M

martin watts

White Belt
Reaction score
That would be great - I am doing a bit of research for a kung fu workshop with a psychologist clinic so it is sort of background reading - but has become quite interesting personally. It has also made me read about FLOW as in ‎Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi - which sits very well with training - if you were able to email me anything you think would be useful then that would great - [email protected]
Cheers.

Latest Discussions