The worst cutting I ever worked......

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As a police officer I worked hundreds of cuttings I suspect....I wasn't counting. Aside from the homicides, regarding the ones who lived, one case stands out amongst the rest.

The weapon.... I simple utility knife. Not a very effective lethal weapon, but the victim probably wished he was dead! When I contacted him, he was literally holding himself together. Neck, chest, shoulders and stomach zipped open.

His father in law, a construction worker, got upset with him and sliced him 17 different ways. That little blade did a horrific amount of damage, and also provided a huge challenge for some attempting conventional disarm techniques that requires a longer blade to work against.

I will never underestimate the utility of a utility knife again!

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Real self defense against a knife is a precarious thing. We try to practice as realistically as possible, but it can’t come close to a life or death situation. With that said, I believe after years of practice you can hedge your bet by training your mind and body to react a certain way even under really stressful situations. But, until that moment comes, and for most civilians or civilized people it never does, you simply never know.

Eskrido de Alcuizar
World Eskrido Federation
Buena Park, CA