The very young student

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As I help in classes with the youngest students, I see first hand the range of readiness that can happen even with kids of the same chronological age.

What is your criteria for deciding when a student is old enough to start, or conversely--what tells you they are too young?

Thanks,
Carl

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, they have to be able to be on the floor without crying for mom or dad, and without having the pampers changed...

It depends on the program, do you have a full scale jr program or a little dragon/tiger deal.

I like to have the little ones,4-6 in one group. the really little ones learn from the bigger ones and the bigger ones get to be the big guys. Mileage may vary. But in general this age group works well for 30 minutes, assuming you keep the segments short and fun and fast paced (but that does not exclude calm periods)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is all about attention span, retention, and coordination to me. I've noticed the same thing among kids of the same age. First, they have to know right from left and have the motor skills to move the appropriate limb at the appropriate time. Second, they have to be able to retain what they are taught for longer than 30 seconds. I have had some that drill the same thing for 4 classes and still can't retain it. Lastly, they have to be able to pay attention for long enough to actually learn something. Many of those young kids just don't have the attention span to stay in a class and in a mixed age class, it is distracting to those who do.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wanted to add, I am a big fan of separating the ages. There is just too much difference going on. Generally we have kids from 6 to 13/14 in one class. I'd rather have the younger ones together and the older ones in another group. There are worlds between them, in terms of work ethic and retention.
When you have from 3 to 14 everything in one class you have a really tough gig.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We take them at 4 but we tell the parents that this class is not a black belt class, it is a learn to take class class. We work on taking turns, standing in line, taking instruction. We also spend a lot of time keeping them moving and integrating games into the class to keep attention and lengthen attention spans.

A friend of mine takes them, but only if Mom or Dad takes with them and Mom holds the kick paddles and does the "instruction." Works well for him.

Latest Discussions